FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://fmvperformance.com/server.html

Help FMVperformance.com to buy a new server

As FMVperformance.com grows - especially Mazda3Forums.com, it has quickly outgrown every server appropriated for its use. Currently, FMVperformance sites reside on a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz HyperThreaded system with 1 Gigabyte of RAM. While this may seem to be a relatively powerful system, it is quickly starting to become overpowered. With nearly 30 new user registrations a day on Mazda3Forums.com alone every day, the server is quickly becoming overpowered.

Unfortunately, new servers do not come cheap. A server strong enough to be worth the upgrade can cost upwards of $4,000. To help pay for a new server, FMVperformance.com has set a goal of collecting $2,000 in donations.

These donations do not have to be collected quickly - as of yet the server is not critically stressed. But we do see slow downs during busier times, and memory and CPU usage have reached an average of nearly 50% each - far more than a server should be running reguarly.

We thank you for any donation you may be able to provide. Your username will be permanently placed on a page on FMVperformance.com to show our gratitude for your donation.

Mazda3Forums.com alone has had more than 7,100 unique visitors and 1.4 million hits in a single day, not counting our other sites.

As our thanks to those that donate, every $25 you donate will earn you $5 off any item at the FMVstore, whenever you choose to get an item - it need not be now. In addition, those who donate ANYTHING will get first dibs at a limited edition sticker run to take place this summer.

Even if we don't make the goal, anything you can donate will help. Thank you very much for anything you can give, even if it's just $1.

Regards,
The staff of FMVperformance.com

http://fmvperformance.com/server.html

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
runs between 150 and 250 GB/mo for m3f alone. Why do you ask?
pure curiosity... at some point i did research into hosting some stuff, and decided it would be cheaper to get a managed server, usu can get p4-3.0 / 2GB ram / 1.5TB for $119 / mo... considering all the bw you get, sounds like the hardware is free

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
root said:
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
runs between 150 and 250 GB/mo for m3f alone. Why do you ask?
pure curiosity... at some point i did research into hosting some stuff, and decided it would be cheaper to get a managed server, usu can get p4-3.0 / 2GB ram / 1.5TB for $119 / mo... considering all the bw you get, sounds like the hardware is free
Oh absolutely - getting a dedicated (unmanaged, not managed, I'm pretty sure you mean?) is cheaper if you only have 1 or 2 servers. But, you have no control of the hardware there. Also, costs accellerate quickly.

BTW - we have a P4 3.0 now, it's being creamed.

We've had this Server Fund thing under preperation for months now, as we debated to go between a "dedicated" server in a datacenter (as we currently do) or our own hardware. But in the end, it didn't make sense to do the dedicated thing any longer.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Dan, if you want I can get you stuff at cost. My coworker and I have a small business building, setting up, fixing pcs' , hosting sites and installing phone systems. Let me know if I can be of help. I will be donating soon to the cause. Thanks.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
05TGMhatch said:
Dan, if you want I can get you stuff at cost. My coworker and I have a small business building, setting up, fixing pcs' , hosting sites and installing phone systems. Let me know if I can be of help. I will be donating soon to the cause. Thanks.
We have not specified exactly what we're getting because we'd like to see our funds situation after this, to determine what we can get. So we'll see then. Remember though, I do work for IBM Global Services ;) I have some contacts of my own :)

I'll keep it in mind though! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
05TGMhatch said:
We have not specified exactly what we're getting because we'd like to see our funds situation after this, to determine what we can get. So we'll see then. Remember though, I do work for IBM Global Services ;) I have some contacts of my own :)

I'll keep it in mind though! Thanks!
No problem...I am under ibm.com so we have many contacts if we put them together. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Badger Biker said:
:ughhug: :wiggle: :party: :banana:

I'm on here so damn much, I might as well give something back. ;)
it'd help pay for all the bandwidth your smilies use :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can donate some hardware if need be.

I'd be willing to offer up a pair of xeon 3.6 Ghz em64t cpu's if they could be of service.... perfect for a dual cpu system.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way, those of you that have donated $25 or more... next time you go to order anything from the FMVstore, e-mail me first.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
^^^ Excuse me sir....your avatar is out of regulation :slap: haha.

Anyway glad to be of service.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
05TGMhatch said:
No problem...I am under ibm.com so we have many contacts if we put them together. :)
Sweet, do you think ibm.com could get me one of those 3 MHz x336's they seem to be selling? ;)

1 - 20 of 100 Posts