FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any canadian fusion owners install H.I.D's yet? Can it be done with daytime running lights or what? Can't find an answer anywhere, low beams lick pouch!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have, but I do not have DRL's. I believe someone on this board has posted how to disable them. Try searching around, or if I come across it I will post up.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey Kev,

I called the guy from Xenon Depot and he told me that DRL's operate in 1 of 2 ways, either the lights turn on and off really fast (so the eye can't even tell) or the power which goes to the lights is reduced. If the Fusion operates under principle#1 then he said the HID's would operate without problem. If it's principle#2 in effect, then there is a problem because full power isn't going to the HID system to make it operate properly. Once again, all according to the guy at Xenon Depot. I definitely agree with you that the Fusion headlights suck. Personally my decision came down to two options: 1) re-wiring the lighting so that the wires that go to the headlights go to the fog lights (since they use the same bulb) and running the fog light wires to the headlights. I never investigated how long the wires are and if they can be re-routed as easily as I have described. The second option would be to install the HID's in the fog lights instead of the headlights. Since the fog lights are projectors, the cut off, control of glare, and overall precision would be superior to the reflector headlight housing. They would just need to be adjusted, but then again I would think the headlights would need to be adjusted as well to compensate for the HID's. It's a tough choice with pros and cons for each. I don't know if you've read some of the other results member have had but needless to say it doesn't help make the decision any easier as members say lighting improves either way.

Good luck with the project. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
[quote author=Fusion4u link=topic=89418.msg1729475#msg1729475 date=1190393781]

Ire-wiring the lighting so that the wires that go to the headlights go to the fog lights (since they use the same bulb) and running the fog light wires to the headlights. I never investigated how long the wires are and if they can be re-routed as easily as I have described.

[/quote]

I have done this. It took around an hour to do and was done by a professional. I now have my HID installed in the headlamp and my DRL are through the fogs. Its nice because I can run just my fogs (2100K yellow) all the time with out the headlights on. I will post up pics shortly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi BCKA8,

That is wonderful news. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the re-wiring job cost you? Looking foward to the pics.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
87 Posts
the wiring trick sounds like a pretty good way to go. I also wanted to retain my drl's , so I just put the HID's on my fog lights and they work great. The projectors have a lower height than the headlights, but they also have less stray light than the headlight fixtures, as they have a more focused beam. Adjusting the foglight fixtures upwards helps quite a bit. I'm pretty happy with my setup.

·
Registered
71 Posts
[quote author=Fusion4u link=topic=89418.msg1733219#msg1733219 date=1190575522]
Hi BCKA8,

That is wonderful news. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the re-wiring job cost you? Looking foward to the pics.

Happy driving!
[/quote]

It cost me $60 for an hours time. My cousin is a Automotive electrician and he did the job for me. . He normaly charges $90/hr

I must say I love having my DRL in the fog light position.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi BCKA8 & JFusion,

If you have the resources and don't mind spending the time, could you please post pics (preferably both from a drivers perspective and a picture of the front of the car with the lights on to see how much glare each produces) just with the HID's on without your respective fog lights and headlight on? This way we can compare the difference between the two setups.

Thank-you & happy driving!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just daytime running lights:

With headlight switch on:

and with flash:

With headlights switch on and foglight switch pulled out:

Close up:

As far as the cut off goes for the HID, well that's nonexistent. Truth is, it looks like shit. But I would rather rock shit HID then cut off Halogens headlights any day. The HID's are much brighter and look way better. I have aimed then slightly down as a courtesy to other drivers.

What’s nice about this set up is I can put the high beams on which will cut off power to the fog light switch (HID's) and I can rock an all Halogen set up.
Or I can rock just the Yellow fogs and side markers at dusk. I hope these pics help CDM Fusion owners wanting to put HID's in.

BCKA8

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't have any pics of my fogs with HID's, I'll see if I can get some snapped though. The cutoff on the HID fogs is super sharp, which is a reason they work pretty well. The drawback is that the fog fixtures sit lower to the ground than the headlights so it is hard to get much more distance than the headlights provide. You adjust the fogs higher to get more distance than the stock setup provides but they don't quite surpass the distance of the light from the headlights, it is pretty close. The benefit is the added lumens hitting the road and the super wide beam pattern as well, light output on the road is a huge difference. With them being on the fogs I can use them whenever I need more light, or I can shut them off when I feel that they aren't needed.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thank-you both for your quick replies, I greatly appreciate it. My preference would be to have the HID's in the headlights as this looks more OEM but many forum memebers have had mixed reviews from really good cut-off lines to non-existant. In terms of actual distance gained, it seems that both options are very close. If the HID's are in the headlights, slight downward aiming helps solve the on coming traffic being blinded problem, and when HID's are in the fogs, they can be adjusted upwards. Both result in increased light output which is the overall goal. I think I'll try them in both locations before I get any re-wiring done and decide what works best for the area I live in and the lighting conditions I contend with. I will post a new string with my project once I get underway.

Great looking ride BCKA8, you definitely have the lighting system hooked up really good, money well spent for sure.

Happy driving & thanks again!

·
Registered
87 Posts
the trick with HID fogs is the fixture adjustment, but with the sharp cut-off it is easy to adjust. I basically tried to get the beam one inch lower than the height of the fixtures as measured on a wall at a distance of 25 feet, give or take, and you can fine tune it from there. The adjustment is simple with a torx screwdriver from under the splashshield, can be done easily without removing any part as there is an acess hole in the splashshield. good luck whichever way you go. I do agree that they look best in the headlights if you are concerned with exterior appearance. The foglights look beautiful with HID's but they make the headlights look like crap in comparison, much dimmer and yellowy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.