FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what it takes to remove lower grille on the Fusion? I want to add a third bar below!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
There is that damn thread! Just what I was looking for. I guess you put more work into finding it that I did. I think that should help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Removing the lower grille really isn't that hard. But it does take a little bit of work, and it works better with two people.

If you look under the front bumper while laying on your back, you'll see about (I'm not 100% sure how many) 8 or so screws. Unscrew those. Then turn your steering wheel all the way as far as it can go. (it doesn't matter if it's to the left or right, it just easier to get under the wheel wells.) There are small clips that hold in the wheel well covers, remove these. After you undo the clips, reach your hand up under the wheel well towards the front of the bumper. There are small clips that hold in the little yellow marker lights. Once you pinch them, push them towards you. After they pop out a little, pull them backwards towards the doors. There's a little flat piece at the other end that holds it in place.

Now, open your hood. There are about 6 screws on the top where the bumper screws to the other part of the car, (I don't know what else to call it). Now that you have all the screws removed on the bottom & top part of the car, be very carefull when pulling the bumper off. They are held on by these weird clips. I used a flathead screwdriver and gently popped them loose. Make sure before you pull your bumper, you pull out your fog light bulbs (if your car has them).

If you have a buddy around, ask for help here so you don't scratch the shit out of your bumper. It sounds harder than it actually is. Once you get a good look as to where all the screws are, it's a snap.

By now, you should have the front bumper completely removed, and the front of the car should look something like this....

If you look close enough, you can see the clips on the bottom part of the car where the screws were removed. Now that your bumber is fully removed, find a good sturdy place to set it on. (a good blanket or something to set it on would be a good idea.) Now flip the bumper so the chrome grille part is facing down. (again having a buddy there to help you hold it works much better, but it can be done by yourself if you're carefull) There are screws (cheesey ones at that) that hold the chrome grills in place. Unscrew those and you'll have a bumper that looks like this....

(Please note that the bumper is upsidedown in this picture, so it's tough to see the lower section)

If you notice, there really isn't a place for a third piece of grille on the bumper. Not to say it can't be done, but it sure would be a complete pain in the ass getting it to stay there sturdy enough. On the factory bumber there are two plastic pieces that hold (screw) the chrome pieces on.

I wish I could offer you more information for the mod you're looking into doing, but I can only tell you what I have seen and done to my own car so far. If any of what I wrote helped you in any way, cool. If not, sorry for making you read this long winded post.

8)

Good luck!!!

~~bnutz~~

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Not completely sure how it's done, but Galpin Ford here in CA customizes their Fusions and one mod that they do regularly is a 3rd bar add to the lower grill.  If any of you caught the Speed TV review on the Fusion, the gold Fusion at the dealership had 3 bars.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yeah, I like the look of the third bar on the bottom grill. With the two bars on the bottom, it looks like my front end is smiling...I don't like my cars to smile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.