FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just paid $350 (at Mike's Tint Shop in orange, CA) for 90% metallic tint, with lifetime warranty against scratches/tickets/etc...

The front 3 windows look awesome, but the top few inches of the back window look like shit.

I called them after it dried for a few days, complaining of the way it looked and they told me that because of the "micro dots" the tint would never stick and that every tint shop would have the same outcome.

Is this true?

My brother says that they should have painted the upper part of the window to stop that from happening, but they didnt.

Mike's Tint Shop is like the highest end tinting place around, they have done all the show cars in just about every magazine out.

Their work, from the pictures, speaks for itself.

But stupid me thinking Im gonna get a perfect tint job, feels like I got screwed.

Has anyone else had this experience with the rear window being tinted?

Mine looks good from the inside, but its all jagged accross the top on the outside.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Mine isn't jagged, so I dont know what you mean. The tint wont stick to the dots, but they sure can work with it to make it look decent.

·
Registered
596 Posts
First of all.... you got ripped OFF!!! for 350$ you could have gotten yourself THREE tinting jobs done.... THREE.

now as far as the micro dots are concerned....
YES... you will have that line on top of the back window noticable.... and thats just IT.... you cant manage to have the tint stick to the glass thats between then dots... it's too tiny of space to stick to and therefore it only sticks to the dots.... plus its not that bad... you'll get used to it

painiting that part is ofcourse an option but no shop will take it upon the responsibility of painting it... you have to do it yourself...

you should be more worried about the amount you've paid to get the tint done rather than going nutz about that stip of visible tint... $$$

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it was expensive, but I went with the second most expensive tint which is a 90% Metallic / 10% Dye that is a fully-metallized sputtered window film (http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_types.html) and got the lifetime transferrable warranty from a tint shop that is world renown and been in business for 15 years.

I did alot of research via http://www.tintcenter.com/ and followed its best practices on making my purchase and did not want to get screwed, other than the price which was steep, but...

Im just pissed about the "Black Frit" as its called, across the top of the rear window.

I am going down there tomorrow to stick my foot in someone's ass and get it fixed or my money refunded...

·
Registered
206 Posts
all I can say is OMG $350.00 dollars.  I pais $180.00 for mine, with if I remember 35% tint.  and I have the same problem with the dots, but it's really not that bad.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had the same problem with the dots. But if you bring it back and tell them to put a piece of black vinal over the dots, you won't have that problem anymore. It worked like a charm on my car.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I posted this in the other tint thread.... This is a Fusion I saw at the Carlisle all ford nationals that a local ford dealer added the 3d carbon kit and some nice tint. I think the tint line on the back looks good how they stoped the tint just before the black dots. Does not look bad at all!

·
Registered
47 Posts
First I paid 150 for mine, 20% all the way around.
I had them stop at the black dots, It looks great. I would remove the tint from the black dot area and leave it be.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im getting ready to head over there right now and have them re-do the back window, but stop at the dots.

Does anyone know if it looks funny from the inside?

Does it make a band of light (not being tinted)?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I see everyone dissing how much I spent; but everyone who is talking about it sounds like they got the cheap non-metallic tint that will crap out in 3 years.

My motto has always been...

BUY CHEAP, BUY TWICE!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
i didn't have time to do mine so I paid $140 for metalic, you got ripped off.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I actually did buy the metallic tint... for 120$ with life time warranty.... 5% limo on the back and 35% on the front....

as far as durability goes.... metalic of not... I don't keep any of my cars longer than 3 years any ways...
so yes.... you did get ripped off...

as far as the trip of dots goes... from the inside you cant tell what so ever.... from the outside you won't either unless you look into it.... I wouldn't trip about if i was you.... because just retinting it won't change a damn thing...

if you wish.... you could not tint the upper part at all and just paint it black... but since the view through the rear view mirror is limited enough.. why would anyone would want ot limit it even more?

·
Registered
43 Posts
[quote author=WiKDMoNKY link=topic=48911.msg767191#msg767191 date=1150234263]
I just paid $350 (at Mike's Tint Shop in orange, CA) for 90% metallic tint, with lifetime warranty against scratches/tickets/etc...

The front 3 windows look awesome, but the top few inches of the back window look like shit.

I called them after it dried for a few days, complaining of the way it looked and they told me that because of the "micro dots" the tint would never stick and that every tint shop would have the same outcome.

Is this true?

My brother says that they should have painted the upper part of the window to stop that from happening, but they didnt.
[/quote]
It's true, best not worry about it.

And you're brother is wrong, you don't paint it, that technically is damaging the window.

·
Registered
596 Posts
[quote author=ajp745li link=topic=48911.msg770063#msg770063 date=1150378385]
how is that damaging the window??
[/quote]

I suppose because it's something you can't undo?? just a guess though

·
Registered
43 Posts
[quote author=ajp745li link=topic=48911.msg770063#msg770063 date=1150378385]
how is that damaging the window??
[/quote]
You don't pay them to do something you can't undo. It removes re-sale. For some people who don't like tints, they make tint remover. If you remove a tint, only to notice a black strip has been painted over it, and you wanted something like a silver tint.. It kind of screws you out of 200 dollars, or whatever a cost of a new window is.

Don't worry about it, put a vinyl over it if it bothers you that much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put bronze 3-m tint on my Zephyr. Ultimate Window Tint in Vancouver wants me to come back for painting. The way I see it, even though the tint is Bronze, the dots are black. So, blacking out the dot area will not clash. The area will be black anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its the antenna i beleave in the back window. But mine looks fine i think? they had no problem with my tints check it out... Just the little design in that part of the back window but it dont effect my tint nor does it look bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts