FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I am a long time reader on this forum, and please believe me when I say that I have searched as far as possible and read as many answers in relations to this as there is on this forum and others as well. From my reading, it seems that the general consensus is that 245/40R18 is not okay on the Fusion, due to the stock wheels on the sport being 7.5" rather than the 8" requirement/recommendation for 245/40R18's.

I currently have Michelin Primacy's on the car, but I will be upgrading to Michelin Pilot Super Sports, as I will no longer be in a state where there is snow. Yes, I am well aware of the significantly shorter tread life. I am quite excited to see how the M PSS's perform, as I track the car quite often.

Currently the car has Steeda STB, Steeda 28.5mm RSB, Steeda TBS, Steeda Power pack with 93 octane tune. I will be putting Bilstein B6's on it all around (I am making a separate post about this in the suspension sub-forum, as I have read from two separate members here that the B6's have been "removed from Bilstein's catalog due to premature failure" - yet, I believe that is ONLY for lowered Fusions. Plus, I have found them on Steeda's website and Summit Racing, so I believe that they will work fine. That will about sum it up on the mod list, I don't plan on doing much more. I like the stock exhaust, stock ride height, etc. and to compound to that, I cannot justify putting any more money in this car for mods. =P EDIT: Actually it seems that the Bilstein B6's on Steeda's website do not list the 3.5L Sport as compatible, only the 2.3, 2.5 and 3.0. But Summit Racing does show that it works for the sport, front and rear. But this is a totally separate issue that I will post about in the suspension/brakes sub-forum.

As a joke, my friend threw 275/35r18's on his Fusion SEL from our friend's new edge mustang, and, to our complete surprise, they fit perfectly, no rub - but VERY close.

Both Goodyear and Discount Tire actually said that it would be okay, and that no flags came up on their systems - although of course the warranty will be voided since it is not stock size... Just looking for extra opinions if at all possible. The diameter was almost exactly the same (.20" smaller on the 245/40R18), and the width ended up being the only true difference (roughly an inch larger)

Will I be okay going from the stock tire size of 225/45R18 on my 2010 Ford Fusion Sport up to a 245/40R18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, on the same stock wheels? My car is at stock height and will stay that way. From what I understand, there will just be a barely noticeable 1/4" of sidewall bulge on each side of the wheel, which I am okay with. My main concern is that I absolutely do not want a tire blow out while driving at the governor of 127/128mph, haha. Yes, it probably wouldn't turn out *too* bad considering the size of the track that I frequent, but, I'd rather avoid that situation in the first place if it is going to pose even the slightest risk. =) BUT - I truly do believe from my research that it will be okay.

Thank you so much guys =) The advice is very much appreciated! =)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Thank you sir! I appreciate your input, also, I love the look of your Fusion with those sport wheels! Although, unfortunately, I have already read both of those threads. The first one refers to using aftermarket wheels (8" width or larger) - and then the second thread listed is the one where I really decided that I needed to ask the question myself. The moderator bbf2530 gave very good advice in that thread and I am inclined to believe it, *but* since both Goodyear and Discount tire themselves said that they could do the "upgrade" on the stock wheels and that it didn't show any flags for them, I figured I would ask here. I could have just posted in the second thread linked, but I 1.) did not want to necro the thread and 2.) did not want to hi-jack the thread either.

In all honesty, I will probably just give it a shot and see how it goes. Being single is nice since if anything happens it will only be to myself :) (depressing view-point but eh, you've gotta try some things out) =)

Oddly enough the 245/45/18's show as being able to be mounted on a 7.5" wheel, but the 40's do not.

I also found this on Tire Rack's website. "Additionally, some vehicle manufacturers have developed Original Equipment applications in which the rim widths are not within the tire's original approved rim width range. For example:

1995 BMW M3 combined 235/40R17 sized tires on 17x7.5" rims (which are 0.5" less than the narrowest 8.0" wide rim listed for the size)."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with 235/45/18 on my sport wheels, just sayin'.
Roger that! Thank you sir =)

Yup, from what the Goodyear and Discount Tire guys told me, the 235/45/18's would be no problem whatsoever. At first, the Goodyear guy told me 245/40/18 would be too big of a jump, but both of us were quite surprised when it showed as compatible with the stock wheels in their system. I'm still deciding as of right now, but I will be getting the Michelin Pilot Super Sports within the next three weeks at the latest, so I will definitely keep this thread updated with my decision =) To be quite honest I *think* I'm just going to try out the 245/40r18's, and if something goes wrong, I shall chalk it up to experience and a lesson learned. I know very well though that this is of course not the smart or safe decision to make, but, I am willing to take the risk ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
If there is absolutely no rub while turning on bumps I wouldn't be worried. Doesn't mean you won't eventually catch a pot hole while steering at higher speeds and your wall will catch some metal part down there.

If the extra wideness is worth it for you, go for it. If I remember correctly you can go up to 8 or 8.5 inch wide wheels on the Fusion. Stock wheels are 7.5, so that's an extra inch. 225 to 245 would be an extra 2 cm... That's 0.7 inch. You're fine. That's if I remembered correctly. lol.

On my last fusion I transfered my 225's from 7.5 inch wheels to 7 inch mustang wheels. It DID create a more... round, wall. Nothing too big but I'm wondering what 245's would look like on a 7.5 inch wheel. I think it will look good if you're going for that muscle car look.

·
Registered
125 Posts
some say 225's will give better fuel economy, while 245's will give you grip on the road a little better. how true are these statement about tires?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I haven't personally done wider tires on the sport wheels mostly because one of the first things I did was ditch the stupid heavy sport wheels. They look good but are so heavey a first priorty for me was to replace them. Pretty much any aftermarket wheels is going to be lighter. I'm currently running Kosei K1-ts and weigh about 18 pounds for a 18x9 inch wheel. I have 245/40's on them in a federal super sport love them grip is good in a ll conditions. If I had the budget for it and didn't have occasional snow and ice in kansas I would get the super sports. I have had pilot sports in the past and where amazing. There is a guy that I auto-x race with and he runs the super sports on a v6 charger and that thing has stupid amounts of grip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts