FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried the General G-MAX AS-05, 225 /50 R17 94W SL BSW?

EDIT: Please add AltiMAX RT43 if you have experience.

We just put our daughter in a 2011 SE 3.0L w/33k miles on the OE Michelin Energy Savers. Her sweet elderly Great Aunt passed and we purchased it from the Widowed Great Uncle.
The OE tires are barley worn but weather or age cracking on the side walls like micro dry desert floor patterning.

I run the G-MAX AS-05's on my 2013 Charger R/T and love them. They own the rain, quiet, wide or flat footprint, rim protection, handling.
The only con is flat spotting feel for the 1st 500 yards after sitting over night on cool cement. Not a deal breaker for me at these prices. The R/T is a weighty car.

Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
5,720 Posts
Has anyone tried the General G-MAX AS-05, 225 /50 R17 94W SL BSW?

We just put our daughter in a 2011 SE 3.0L w/3.5k miles on the OE Michelin Energy Savers. Her sweet elderly Great Aunt passed and we purchased it from the Widowed Great Uncle.
The OE tires are barley worn but weather or age cracking on the side walls like micro dry desert floor patterning.

I run the G-MAX AS-05's on my 2013 Charger R/T and love them. They own the rain, quiet, wide or flat footprint, rim protection, handling.
The only con is flat spotting feel for the 1st 500 yards after sitting over night on cool cement. Not a deal breaker for me at these prices. The R/T is a weighty car.

Anyone?

Hi gapi. Cannot speak for the General G-MAX AS-05. However, I can highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+.

I had the Pilot Sport AS as the first set of replacement tires on my 2007 MKZ. Just replaced them about 8 months ago, after ~54,000 miles, with their updated model, a set of Pilot Sport AS 3+'s.

If you look a little in this Wheels/Tires sub-forum, you can find my earlier reviews of them.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So
Hi gapi. Cannot speak for the General G-MAX AS-05. However, I can highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+.

I had the Pilot Sport AS as the first set of replacement tires on my 2007 MKZ. Just replaced them about 8 months ago, after ~54,000 miles, with their updated model, a set of Pilot Sport AS 3+'s.

If you look a little in this Wheels/Tires sub-forum, you can find my earlier reviews of them.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Thanks, I would love to but the budget eh? And this is for our very cautious, responsible driving 21 year old daughter. So all that performance and cash would lay in waste.

I am going to try and edit my post to add the AltiMAX RT43. Made in Germany and reports of no flat spotting unless long term stored incorrectly. $90.00 more a set. A touring A/S vs. the Ultra Performance A/S.

I will report back on what happens/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We put a set of 225/50/R18 98V XL General AltiMAX RT43's on today. Very nice, quiet, smooth, balanced out nicely with minimal weights.

I noticed a misquote in my OP, the car has 33k original miles on the original dry rotting 9 year old Michelin Energy Savers. They were gray and hard with more than half the tread left. They were so bad it sounded like bad brake growl when braking. I even had Discount Tire let me look them over with the wheels off, brakes are fine.

So not a fair comparison but the Generals seem as advertised. Quiet and comfortable. Like my General G-MAX AS-05's on my Charger they have the wide or flat profile foot print and rim protection.

·
Super Moderator
5,720 Posts
We put a set of 225/50/R18 98V XL General AltiMAX RT43's on today. Very nice, quiet, smooth, balanced out nicely with minimal weights.

I noticed a misquote in my OP, the car has 33k original miles on the original dry rotting 9 year old Michelin Energy Savers. They were gray and hard with more than half the tread left. They were so bad it sounded like bad brake growl when braking. I even had Discount Tire let me look them over with the wheels off, brakes are fine.

So not a fair comparison but the Generals seem as advertised. Quiet and comfortable. Like my General G-MAX AS-05's on my Charger they have the wide or flat profile foot print and rim protection.

Hi gapi. Glad to hear it worked out for you and you are happy with your new tires. Hope you get many safe and happy miles!

Update us on the General tires as time goes on, and good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts