FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG! Is it just me or is the Fusion absolutely killer in the snow?!?! That thing trudged thru 5" of snow like it was nothin! I'm so glad I bought this car - I will have it forever!!! :blue:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Is yours an I4 manual, I4 auto, V6 FWD, or V6 AWD? Just curious... also do you have the SAP wheels or the regular 17" wheels or...?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=Mutnat link=topic=103516.msg2093003#msg2093003 date=1203707378]
Is yours an I4 manual, I4 auto, V6 FWD, or V6 AWD? Just curious... also do you have the SAP wheels or the regular 17" wheels or...?
[/quote]

I have the V6 SEL w/ the regular wheels

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The day after I bought my car, it snowed. Drove to work on the monday morning, not having looked at the traction control button before. So I pressed it. The car was awesome in the snow. (I later found out that by pressing the switch, I was de-activating it, and it still kicked ass)OOOPS!!! :oops:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=kevjur link=topic=103516.msg2094031#msg2094031 date=1203731905]
The day after I bought my car, it snowed. Drove to work on the monday morning, not having looked at the traction control button before. So I pressed it. The car was awesome in the snow. (I later found out that by pressing the switch, I was de-activating it, and it still kicked ass)OOOPS!!! :oops:
[/quote]

Hahaha...yeaaaa, it plowed right thru that shiznit

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an 06 SE FWD auto with the Conti OEM tires. I think this car with this set up (maybe it's the tires) pretty much sucks in the snow. I love how it handles on dry roads and in the rain, but in the snow...not so happy. I've lived in the midwest all my life, have driven cars and vans both fwd and all wheel drive, and I think this car is one of the worst in the snow. Tirerack rates the conti's as above average for snow, but not in my opinion. So I take it a little slower and a little more cautiously than I'd like, but I want to arrive safely at my destination. And, I wish the SE had heated exterior mirrors.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=snowman1 link=topic=103516.msg2098865#msg2098865 date=1203955574]
I have an 06 SE FWD auto with the Conti OEM tires. I think this car with this set up (maybe it's the tires) pretty much sucks in the snow. I love how it handles on dry roads and in the rain, but in the snow...not so happy. I've lived in the midwest all my life, have driven cars and vans both fwd and all wheel drive, and I think this car is one of the worst in the snow. Tirerack rates the conti's as above average for snow, but not in my opinion. So I take it a little slower and a little more cautiously than I'd like, but I want to arrive safely at my destination. And, I wish the SE had heated exterior mirrors.

[/quote]

I think it is the tires as well. My car sucks in the snow. I have almost gotten stuck a few times this year. Had to stop on the hwy back up and go again once. that sucked was waiting to get hit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
im with snowman i have the front wheel drive v6 with the conti tires on it and it sucks... i really hope its just the tires!!!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=opei23 link=topic=103516.msg2098928#msg2098928 date=1203957227]
im with snowman i have the front wheel drive v6 with the conti tires on it and it sucks... i really hope its just the tires!!!
[/quote]

the people that seem to say there car is good in the snow has 17's on there and we have 16's so i think the cont suck and the mich are better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 06 SE still has the OEM Conti tires on it and through one and a half winters they have done fine for what they are. They even do a fine job of plowing through the piles of snow that accumulate behind the vehicles because the apartment complex maintenance guys aren't smart enough to throw snow away from the cars.

Of course, this is coming from a guy whose previous daily driver was a '90 Ranger longbed, so anything I bought would have been a vast improvement in the snow. I happy with the Fusion in the snow, but I suspect no more or less that I would be with any other FWD sedan.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have FWD with the Contis and they suck. You can't start you can't stop and turning is alittle iffy. On dry roads that is a different story.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The Michelins really do make a huge difference. That's why Ford put Michelins on the AWD Fusion, figuring that people who buy AWD are more concerned about snow performance. The Contis are acceptable, but their focus is really on low rolling resistance.

You can't take Tirerack's ratings to mean much with OEM tires. OEMs custom tune the tire including changing compounds, which is probably the biggest single factor in snow performance. A Michelin rep once told me they offer 12 different compounds to the OEMs, but in the aftermarket they only use two of them.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Mine is down right scary in the smallest amount of snow/ice. That's soley due to the tires and lack of ABS. I have 17" Falken 912s. They are great for 3 seasons. Useless for winter. Next time, I might downsize to 215/50 -- just so I can buy a decent All Season tire.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=koreySE link=topic=103516.msg2102059#msg2102059 date=1204040655]
Mine is down right scary in the smallest amount of snow/ice. That's soley due to the tires and lack of ABS. I have 17" Falken 912s. They are great for 3 seasons. Useless for winter. Next time, I might downsize to 215/50 -- just so I can buy a decent All Season tire.
[/quote]

Well we got rain yesterday and it turned into ice then about 4 inches of snow overnight. I hate these tires. my wife pulled right out of the driveway and i got stuck. had to put ice melt down then after a lot of pushing and my driving i got it out. what a crappy day. but i will say the stockers are a lot better than my Falkens that are on my good rims. i had the ADR wheels on for the first snow we had this year (came alot earlier than it should have) and i almost did not make it home. that is way the stockers are on now.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If I could change one thing sbout the car the tires would be it. I love it otherwise.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Man, reading all these horror stories about snow and the tires certainly makes me glad I live in a place that doesn't get any snow. :lol: I feel bad for you guys.

·
Registered
281 Posts
yea go ahead and feel bad but when you can do 30+ into a snowy corner, sink the nose into the ditch and come out of it like nothing happened, it just make you feel good. :lol: try that without snow!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=103516.msg2104132#msg2104132 date=1204083620]
Man, reading all these horror stories about snow and the tires certainly makes me glad I live in a place that doesn't get any snow. :lol: I feel bad for you guys.
[/quote]

If it's a choice between snow and a hurricane, I'll take the snow!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm not happy with my Fusion in the snow. This is the second winter I've had by SEL and I miss my old pickup (mazda B-3000). I am just fine as along as I dont have to go up a hill. And the traction control actually makes driving in the snow worse. When I come to a stop I turn it off so I can get going. With it on the car will sit still. If I turn it off then I can spin though the snow and get going.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts