FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

As many of you know I currently have two Fusions. A 2015 Fusion S and a 2012 Fusion SEL V6

I’ve put about 1k miles on the 2015 so far.. and in the 1.5 years of ownership of the 2012 I’ve racked about 7k miles (5k of that has been road trips).

Power: Well with the 2.5 and 3.0 there is no comparison. The 2.5 is gutless. It was chosen for its MPG and cost. Now the 3.0 in my V6 is a blast in comparison. Is it a true powerhouse? No.. but when you’re talking midsize sedans it’s comparable. Needless to say I almost got a 2.5 SEL fusion in 2012. I’m glad I didn’t. The V6 option has a nice tone to it, sounds throaty, and there is enough power there to pass and let the vehicle have some fun in corners.

Handling: The 2012 handles very well stock for its size. I can tell the car where to go and it will go with very little slip. Body roll is there there but I don’t consider it to be too bad. It can be improved upon. But lets put it this way.. my 2001 Durango with all new suspension and being an SUV can take corners better than my Fusion. The 2015 sucks. No real confidence in the handling of the vehicle. I assume cheap tires are at fault but.. with the lack of power to push it, it’s hard to say just how much one can push it. But on that daily driving route it doesn’t handle too well in comparison to my 12 model. The 15 also tends to wobble in the groves of the highway where as my 12 does not do this. Maybe the width of the 12 is just a tad bit wider to sit in the groves or over them. Who knows.

Interior: The 12 to me feels much roomier. I’m 6’4 @ 180lbs so I’m not big but tall. Of the few road trips I’ve taken I feel comfortable. Could it be bigger? Sure. But I could go a solid 5 hours of sitting without feeling the need to get out and stretch at the next fill up. The seats seem to be of better height and function and the steering wheel seems to fit quite well. For the 15 model it feels a bit cramped. Hard to be comfortable for long periods of time and kinda awkward to “lean” to the side. The center console is a bit more curved and noticeable. This is a no no with my right knee cap. I’ll have a rub spot on the dash soon enough.

In terms of overall: The 2015 is quite nice. It’s built well. Nice features. I love the layout of the stereo. Backup camera is a huge plus. Gauges are nice. Trunk is huge! Outside of comfort, power and handling it’s a really nice car to keep up with the times.

· Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

It almost feels like the 2015 is a downgrade. I really could not find any points that are positive over the 2012 model. However we are comparing a fully loaded to a base model vehicle.

If I was just me looking to buy a car and it was the 2nd gen vs the 1.5 gen.. I’d most likely go for the 1.5 gen. But it’d be tough because if I could have a 2gen at near the same price you have the ego in the back of your head saying “get the new fresh car. Don’t get that old out-dated one”.

· Registered
47 Posts
I've driven a few new fusions that were similarly spec'd to my Sport as well. I didn't any of them to be as nice or comfortable as my Sport for some reason. Not cause it's my car and I don't want to admit anything wrong with it. Public, i'm about the same build as you, 6'3" 180lbs and i felt cramped in the new fusion versus mine, can't really pinpoint what they did but it didn't feel right. The features in the newer car were very nice but i can live without all of that stuff. My sport definitely out handles the new one though.

For what it's worth I drove the 2.0L one. Nice fun lil engine especially with the turbo.

· Registered
47 Posts
Indeed.

How did you consider the drive/handling of the 2nd gen over your sport?
Might just be me but the 2nd gen had more roll to it, but that's to be expected i guess since it's a slightly larger car it seems. IMO it had a smooth ride, probably about as nice as my Sport. Sport definitely handled better though.

Power wise. The 3.5 had better power throughout the whole range of RPMs whereas the 2.0L lacked in some ranges, but that's a given considering the fact that it is a turbocharged engine.

· Registered
356 Posts
To me the new fusion was like driving a nissan altima. (Haven't driven the newer ones more so the prior two generations of altima).i felt like I was pushing the car around corners rather than driving it around them not sure if that makes sense or not. Kind of hard to explain. A well designed and built car fits you and you feel as if you’re driving it and everything you tell it to do it does. I feel like the new fusion just kind of looks at you and says "yea i hear what you’re telling me to do but I’m not going to do it". I remember hearing a lot of the same complaints from the first gen fusion when it first came out but most of those where fixed in 2010. Honestly i see that Ford cut all kinds of corners with the new fusion but figures people will buy them anyway because they look so good that the little stuff will get missed.

· Registered
194 Posts
Sadly, at altitude, the 3.5 is just slightly slower than the 2.0 ecoboost as proven at the track.

We ran four times and the 2013 was able to edge me out each time at the quarter mile mark. Not by much though. The video above was my worst time unfortunately. The best I've run at that track (thus far) has been 16.567 @88.21MPH.

Granted, at the time I was running a Steeda tune that I think was not quite right. I'll have to go back with the tune I have now as its a bit better for the car.

Vidmo

· Registered
1,751 Posts
I'd like to see a lap around a track to see which one is faster. Like a Stig power lap from Top Gear.

Seems like everyone thinks that the Sports handle better. For me I would rather have a more fun to drive/ better handling car then a slightly faster car with worse handling.

Kind of like how every automotive journalist says Fiesta ST> Focus ST even though the Focus is faster.

· Registered
356 Posts
Sadly, at altitude, the 3.5 is just slightly slower than the 2.0 ecoboost as proven at the track.
This has been addressed before several times. If you took two cars with the same weight, transmission gearing and power levels at sea level and bring them to a higher altitude. The N/A car is going to loose more power then boosted will at sea level.

· Registered
84 Posts
Unless I am misreading your statement, a boosted car should not make more power at altitude than it will at sea level. That is unless the boost was increased. I do agree a boosted car will make more power than a N/A car at altitude that were near equal at sea level.

· Banned
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless I am misreading your statement, a boosted car should not make more power at altitude than it will at sea level. That is unless the boost was increased. I do agree a boosted car will make more power than a N/A car at altitude that were near equal at sea level.
Yeah.. I think he typed that wrong.

There is less air at higher atl. Plain and simple. If anything it'd take longer to make turbo boost!!

· Registered
148 Posts
Yup test drove a 2014 titanium the same day I got my sport. And to me it was like night and day difference. The 2.0 has no low end power at all. Whereas the sport takes off like a rocket lol... ok maybe not but compared to my old 07 2.3 it is... corning the sport had a huge advantage. Don't know if it's cuz of the size of 2.0 but it's got a lot of roll compared to the sport...

· Registered
87 Posts
I own a 2013 Fusion with the 2.0L turbocharged engine and it feels powerful enough to beat, or at least keep up with, most mid-size sedans. I love the leather interior of my car and we can all agree that it's probably the best looking sedan in its price range. To me it's a very balanced vehicle; great looks, more than enough power, and great handling...at least in the titanium trim.

I think you should drive a Titanium model to make a decent comparison. By the way, before I bought my 2013 Fusion I was actually also looking at the 2012 model...but once I got behind the wheel of the 2013 Titanium I was sold. So far it's been an awesome car. I get compliments all of the time. In any case, as long as you drive a Ford, you're cool in my book. I just had to represent for the 2013 model.

· Registered
2,016 Posts
Thanks for your insight.

When I first saw a 2nd-gen in person, I did feel that it just looked... lighter and flimsier. Like it was a little too small to be a true American sedan. Maybe it's the higher ground clearance at the front? Makes it look more like a plastic shell on top of the frame or something to me.

I just now noticed for the first time in your picture that the 2015 has that additional little window by the side mirrors. Interesting. At least it's a decent shape and not that odd glass used on, say, the Buick Lesabre.

I could just never get 'into' the dash design of the new Fusions. The steering wheel has too many buttons and I absolutely hate the way the center cluster smoothly swoops down on new cars. I sit like I'm black, I need my knee space to the side.

Completely unrelated, I hate how KBB will provide an option for the Voga package, but not for blind spot radar. I'm fairly certain having BLIS adds to the value of my car, but it won't let me get a price with it equipped.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts