FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday (Sept. 13) I bought a used 2016 Fusion from my local Ford dealer. This car is intended as a stop gap while I'm waiting for the (very slow) production queue on the 2022 Maverick trucks. I needed something to drive through the winter and until my ordered Maverick comes through.

Anyway, it looked clean and well-maintained, passed the dealer's inspection, and the price was good. It does have 97000 miles on it, however. Took it home, studied the owner's manual (not very well organized or written, alas, and as an ex-professional in the user manual field, I think I'm qualified to say that.) Driving was a pleasure, though. I made several trips into town and along our rural roads with no problem and a satisfying 26.4 mpg report from the car's internal system.

Yesterday, though, after making a left turn, there came a thunk and immediate loss of power almost as if the engine and wheels were no longer connected. (This is the inline 4 cyl. with FWD only.) A wrench icon appeared on the info display, with no text. Had to consult the manual, which only offered "Powertrain failure. Contact Ford authorized repair service."

Fortunately I was on a relatively low-traffic road after that turn, and had immediately pulled to the side. Flashers on. Called the dealer, who sent a tow truck to rescue me right away and apologized profusely. Since that was a Friday afternoon, I don't expect to hear from them until Monday probably. Service consultant and sales consultant both assured me they'll take care of it.

The question is: "Just what might IT be?" They weren't sure and that's OK. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what the likely problems are. I don't expect to be asked to pay for the fix, if it can be fixed. But I guess buying a car on the 13th of the month was a jinx.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

Just got a call from the service department. Apparently the failure was in the electronic throttle control. They estimate the cost of repair at (only) $425. And they offered to split the cost with me. At this point, I need the vehicle, so of course I agreed. Then the sales manager decided that they would pay the full cost after all. ETA for the repair is just 24 hours from now, so no complaint about that.

Clearly I'm somewhere behind developments in the auto industry in that I did not expect as much electronics as are involved in this design, which is already five years old. I have some concerns about custom-designed electronics parts largely because they tend to become unavailable as the designs in which they are used age. I have generally expected a vehicle to last ten to fifteen years at the very least. I suspect that custom parts like this are going to disappear much sooner than that.

Anyway, the repair has been authorized and I hope to have my car back by this time tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Conclusion:
Car retrieved from dealer's service department. "No charge" was marked on the receipt, though the normal cost of this fix is $450.00 (they tell me.) Seems to be working correctly again.

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Conclusion:
Car retrieved from dealer's service department. "No charge" was marked on the receipt, though the normal cost of this fix is $450.00 (they tell me.) Seems to be working correctly again.
Hi Altivo. Happy to hear it all worked out for the best.

Thanks for the update and good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts