FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the newest Motor Trend that Ford approved the Fusion GT. The upgrades come to the suspension and a slight increase in power (I would say a bump to 230-235). They didn't mention a MT but they did say the car will not get standard 18" wheels. Not too much info, but it is good to hear. If it is available with a 6 speed MT all I will be thinking is...Mazda 6 who?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not only a MTX but a 6 speed. Since the car is short on power compared to some competitors, the added gear would help quite a bit. At least until the car gets the 250 hp 3.5. I hope they don't dissapoint. I am looking to buy next September so it should be coming right in time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[quote author=FusionSELV6 link=topic=32916.msg491474#msg491474 date=1133145031]
I have read that the Fusion GT will be offered with the Mazdaspeed6 AWD turbo platform and I HOPE that is the case.

Trev
[/quote]

that sounds more like SVT badge territory

·
Registered
139 Posts
I read in the Consumer Reports issue that they are coming out with a all wheel drive turbo version next year, Id think that will be the performance one with a SVT Badge maybe? After all we are based on a Mazda 6 Platform and they just came out with the MazdaSpeed 6 with all wheel drive and 276hp turbo

·
Registered
43 Posts
:D ALL WHEEL DRIVE TURBO WOULD BE SO MUCH FUN.... I WOULD TRY 2 GET ONE ASAP

·
Registered
288 Posts
[quote author=MZ6ZoomZoom link=topic=32916.msg552276#msg552276 date=1137875793]
Yeah I'm not counting on their being a "GT" badge.  I'd just expect SVT.
[/quote]
as of April 1st ...
a GT badge is all that will be available.

SVT will be no more !

Here's the latest info from Steven Cole Smith on the death of SVT, as printed in today's Orlando Sentinel:

Ford doesn't see a way forward for SVT

Posted March 2, 2006

" Quietly, Ford Motor Co. has been dismantling SVT -- the Special Vehicle Team -- and sources inside the company suggest that as of April 1, SVT, as we've known it since 1992, will cease to exist.

SVT has had no dedicated products since 2004. A high-performance version of the Sport Trac, called the Adrenalin, was shown at the New York Auto Show in March 2005. At a preview for journalists, SVT director Hau Thai-Tang said that the Adrenalin "is going to turn the performance-vehicle market upside down" when it goes on sale as a 2007 model. Then, last month, the Adrenalin was canceled as part of Ford's "Way Forward" restructuring campaign. The Ford GT supercar, which was developed largely by SVT engineers but was not called an SVT model, will end production later this year.

A new Shelby Cobra GT 500 Mustang is due later this year as a 2007 model. But it will be offered to all 3,900 Ford dealers, instead of SVT's network of roughly 600 dealers.

SVT was founded in 1991 by Robert Rewey, Ford's vice president for marketing and sales, and Neil Ressler, Ford's chief technical officer. The idea was that SVT would consist of a small group of engineers, designers and marketing professionals who would work inside Ford to build and sell high-performance versions of existing products. SVT also set up a separate dealer network, signing up Ford dealers that had an interest in selling performance products.

In 1992, the first two SVT products were launched: The 1993 F-150 Lightning pickup, and the 1993 Mustang Cobra. In 1997, the SVT Contour was introduced, and in 1999, the second-generation Lightning went on sale. In late 2001, the '02 SVT Focus went on sale. By 2004, when production of the Lightning, Mustang Cobra and SVT Focus ended, the company had sold about 145,000 SVT products.

It's likely that Ford will continue to produce special-edition models of several vehicles, but they will not be sold through SVT channels."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well how can that be!!!!!!. I read on Mustang site that SVT lives ,and that the # of ppl working on SVT models has been increased to over 200 ppl.They think there maybe 2 or 3 SVT models in the works, and that the FUSION is one of the likely candidates for the SVT treatment.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey, if Chevy can make a stupid Cobalt SS, then we can at LEAST get a Fusion GT!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think the SVT name is not well known apart from enthusists. Ford wants to market the car for anyone who wants better performance. So the GT name makes more sense. This also doesn't tarnish SVT name if the performance increase isn't huge. The SVT engineers will still be there; just their products will not have SVT name.

·
Registered
148 Posts
[quote author=lammer link=topic=32916.msg616520#msg616520 date=1142287369]
<snip> A high-performance version of the Sport Trac, called the Adrenalin, was shown at the New York Auto Show in March 2005. At a preview for journalists, SVT director Hau Thai-Tang said that the Adrenalin "is going to turn the performance-vehicle market upside down" when it goes on sale as a 2007 model. <snip>
[/quote]

And then they wonder why they are billions in the red. A high performance SPORT TRAC!?!?!?!! Makes you want to slap somebody... :dunno: :crazy:

·
Registered
910 Posts
This doesn't sound good enough. What I want to see is basically the mazdaspeed 6 basically the current awd fusion but with a turbo, just adding the turbo would be enough. Of course they could do lots of other things for a special version to (different wheels, paint calipers, special interior touches, special paint, better tires, lower it and tweak suspension, maybe some tuning etc) if they made enough improvements I'd look into getting one. If I can get just the turbo alone I'd add one to my car-does the mazda turbo work on fusion by any chance?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts