FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my surprise, the dealer's parts guy says that there is no in-line fuel filter on the Fusion but the filter, such as it is, is part of the fuel pump in the gas tank. Not that I don't believe him (inasmuch as there is no replacement part listed at Pep Boys), but is this true? I was only intending to do a full filter change when I picked up a used 16k mi. '06 Fusion (as I always change every filter in any "new" car), but it now seems that fuel filters are a thing of the past. Makes sense but can you confirm thins?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I seem to remember reading this somewhere else, that the filter is part of the fuel pump, located in the gas tank. Seems mighty stupid to me but maybe there is a good reason, though I can't think of one. Hopefully someone will post more information about this uncanny situation.

·
Registered
702 Posts
So if the fuel filter and pump are in the fuel tank, then what is that black think under the center of the trunk? I assumed it what the fuel pump as it had what looked like fuel lines running to and from it. So now I wonder what that thing really is. Anyone know?

·
Registered
799 Posts
SamSnyder,
Yes, the gas filter is in the tank and I think Ford says to change it every 100K. I'd guess that it's accessible via a trap door from the trunk/back seat area.

mechanicboy18,
I think that's a carbon filter (traps gas fumes).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has had any trouble with their fuel system because of this. It seems like a really stupid idea to me too. I mean, what can they do differently to a fuel filter to make it "lifetime"? It's an open invitation to early fuel pump failure.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
No troubles here. I'm upwards of 40k miles and it's running fine. I've had fuel filter gone bad before so I know the feeling.
I'm not sure what's so special about these new filters but you have to believe that cars now are a lot more sophisticated than they were even 15 years ago.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The "filters" on the pumps are just a mesh nylon bag. Nothing to go wrong, plug, or fail. I doubt it would stop anything smaller than a grain of sand.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The "mesh bag" must stop particles small enough to clog a fuel injector so it can't be that bad. I'd guess other mfrs are using 'em too to keep costs down.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The black box, according to the manual, is a Evaporative Emission Cannister.

The filter is a lifetime filter. No replacement, or cleaning neccessary. The only time I would replace the filter would be if the fuel pump went out and had to be replaced; even though the filter and fuel pump will probably be sold as a unit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
we have seen fuel pump failure but only in those that run the tank empty all the time or as low as they can before refueling, especially in hot temperatures where there is not enough gas to keep the pump cool

1 - 10 of 10 Posts