FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings...

I have the F-SEL. My dash displayed 11miles until empty. When I filled up until the hose-clicked, it came to 15.8 gal. So technically i should have 1.7 approx. gas left in the tank(17.5gal.tank). My dash displayed 26-30mpg..when driving 25-50mph-light gas peddle-coasting--etc..etc.... on the expwy before exiting for gas.....I am a little puzzled with the mileage.
I got a K&N last week...and the mileage did improve--1-3--city...2-3hwy....after a 2days or so...just watching the display-my findings.

Has anyone had similar findings when filling up??? The way i see it, i get more mileage figuring out with pen and paper......

Is there a reserve tank????

THNXS

MAX.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The major manufacturers try to leave around a gallon of fuel in reserve in case you really need it. The XX Miles to Empty is an estimate, not a fact, so they try to leave a little more gas in it than it reports back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thxs.......

Freakin fuel prices are getting to me....and fuel economy is 1st on my list..I could care less of a bigger engine in our cars....My car boogies just fine.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have had similar findings with my I4 fusion. Hitting 0 miles to empty you will still have a reserve. On my I4 I found I can go 20 more miles cruising and have at least 0.5 gallons of fuel left. My lincoln was the same why, except if had almost 3 gallons in the reserve.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My dash only displays "FUEL LEVEL LOW" when it hits around 50 miles to empty.

It seems to me you guys are saying that yours tells you 11 miles to empty.
Is this a feature my SE V6 does bot have or something I have to do to see that other
info on the display screen?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm certain everyone's low fuel notification comes on with 50 miles left til empty. The others are referring to ignoring the notification and driving until the computer displays 0 miles to empty. They are saying there is always more fuel left than what the computer displays. I personally wouldn't know because I start getting nervous around 20 miles to empty. You ever watch it once it hits that mark? Damn that thing starts dropping fast.

·
Registered
325 Posts
[quote author=aninjazx6r link=topic=76943.msg1398193#msg1398193 date=1178740526]
My dash only displays "FUEL LEVEL LOW" when it hits around 50 miles to empty.

It seems to me you guys are saying that yours tells you 11 miles to empty.
Is this a feature my SE V6 does bot have or something I have to do to see that other
info on the display screen?
[/quote]

Once you get the "Fuel Level Low" warning @ 50 miles you can press the reset button and it will return to the "Miles to Empty" screen. After a certain period of time (don't know what it is off hand) it will go back to the "Fuel Level Low" warning again.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I believe that it is every 10 minutes after 50miles and every time you start the car. I find that the miles til emply quickly goes down after 40 miles to empty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the info....even though this was not my thread :hijacked:..lol
But I don't like letting my fuel go all the way to empty anyways...when that comes on
I go to the gas station.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
You'll still have a reserve even when it reads 0 miles until empty. I can testify to this, even though I don't recommend it. About a month ago, I went to the mountains at night with a few friends and after a couple of hours, the gas gauge was at a quarter of a tank. The mountains I was driving in had a couple of gas station and all of them were closed for the night and the pumps were turned off. My best opportunity for an open gas station was a town that was about 40 miles away in the desert. Well, to make a long story short, the gas stations in the desert were also closed. I ended up driving about 50-60 miles while the display showed 0 Miles to Empty.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Good to know it keeps that much in reserve. I've always filled up when I get a warning about needing fuel. I've gone to 43 miles left I believe at the lowest

·
Registered
817 Posts
When the "Fuel Level Low" warning pops up we start looking for a gasoline station, primarily because our 2007 SEL AWD only averages 14.8 mpg with 3,000 miles on the car. Fifty miles to empty only translates into three gallons.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im telling you... My AWD must be a 4 cyl (joking) Because i Average between 23-26 mpg. 50% is city/highway. The lowest i have even hit was 20.2 i think. Something is up i think with your car. I know the dealer says otherwise, but we are both in MD, so the weather variable is out the window. I love my AWD :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=youknowwhoibee link=topic=76943.msg1425240#msg1425240 date=1179697490]
Im telling you... My AWD must be a 4 cyl (joking) Because i Average between 23-26 mpg. 50% is city/highway. The lowest i have even hit was 20.2 i think. Something is up i think with your car. I know the dealer says otherwise, but we are both in MD, so the weather variable is out the window. I love my AWD :)
[/quote]
Your AWD is doing really well on mileage. We took a little trip from Salisbury to Ocean City today (60 miles round trip) to see the thousands of street rods and classic cars at the OC Cruise In and got 24.7 mpg. The revised EPA estimate for this power train is 17 mpg city and 24 mpg highway. We now have about 3,200 miles on the car and figure it still has about another 2,000 or more miles to go before it is totally broken in.

Even so, when it gets to 50 miles to empty we look for a gas station. We filled up yesterday in Salisbury and it was $2.959, saw some in OC for $2.859 today. That must have made the cruisers happy.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I get what you do boz and I'm paying 3.30 a gallon! I think it will improve as we get past a year or so of driving and some miles on the cars. Due to weight being an issue for MPG I'm trying to get everyone who rides in my car to shave off a few pounds :) a full car with people who weigh ten pounds less =40lbs less and they say for every 100lbs you lose 2% efficiency!

·
Registered
817 Posts
otaku,
you need skinnier friends. LOL.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Truly. ONe passenger I have could stand to lose half their weight for their health and my MPG! I can't talk to much though cause as I said I could shave off ten pounds myself

For that matter ford should try to shave off some weight from the car and maybe add one of these new 8 speed transmissions coming out of germany. Could get some huge efficiency improvements.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I used to average around 23-24MPG with just my K&N air filter. (50% city/50 highway)
Now ever since I've installed my Magnaflow exhaust, my gas mileage is a steady 20.7MPG. Maybe I'm just punching it harder than before, but I don't think I am. I thought the exhaust might help a little, if anything at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Funny story to relate to Boz... I work in a crowded little area. And it is 15 miles from my house. My milage indicater said 12 miles left. So i said screw it... ill go it. I have done it before with no problems. Welp ran out of gas and the car shut down. I drifted for about 1/4 of a mile till the dead stop. Then i pushed it an additional 500 feet to get gas in her. I am not doing that again. You havent even reached 4k yet??? I am at 5700 and i bought my car after you :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts