FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: FordVehicles.com

** Early projections of Fusion fuel economy put the V-6 models in the high 20s and the four-cylinder models in the low 30s. Actual fuel economy numbers will be available at vehicle introduction, in fall 2005.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Official Figures:
I4 with Manual Transmission 23/31
I4 with 5-Speed Automatic Transmission 24/32
V6 with 6-Speed Automatic Transmission 21/29 (20/28 on Lincoln Zephyr)
---------------
I'm surprised that the four-cylinder automatic came out as the most efficient model. Its city mileage is as good as almost everything in the class and its only 2 mpg behind the class leaders in highway mileage. I found out recently that the choice to use the 5-speed automatic instead of a 4-speed came very late in the process and actually delayed the introduction. But I'm so glad they did it. Can't wait to see how it performs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's 25 deg. out here so I'm getting about 3-4mpg less than what I was when I first got it. I think I'm down to 26 with the 4cyl/5spd, not that I'm complaining. For a comparason, my truck got 15 in winter.....

BTW, I love the HUGE gas tanks on these! I've only had to fill up twice in 700 mi and I still have half of the second tank left.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah the tank is a 17 gallon tank.

Second tank of fuel and I still can not get above 21 mpg with the majority of my driving on the highway.

·
Registered
580 Posts
  4 cyl. 5 spd. automatic Milan on the first tank ( 3 drivers , avg. speed 20mph in town ) 21.68mpg. 55 to 70 deg. on Junk California Fuel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
SE V6 with 1880 miles on it. Best mileage so far = 26.5, Worst = 24, driving 80 miles per day to and from work. I drove about 15 miles on the interstate the other day after resetting the computer and it registered 29-30 mpg until I exited and started hitting traffic lights.

·
Registered
580 Posts
4 cyl. 5 spd. automatic Milan. Just got back from 170 mile trip, all flat ground, 4 adults in the car, ( 40% 70mph 60% 57 mph ), 45 to 60 deg. This is
a new car with 575 miles. Trip going was 33 mpg and 31.3 on the return trip.The return trip had some idling and the defrost was running.This vehicle has the 50 series 17" tires on it. Would like to see it go higher but am not unhappy for a low mileage new car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

I have a Dune I4 with about 1340 Miles on it.

The MPG started in the low 20s and started to climb up to 25 as I broke the car in. There was a bad storm where it took me three times the normal time to get home and the MPG dropped a mpg or two. It recovered back up to 25 and for several weeks it was 25.9 except it would drop to 25.8 when first starting out. It seemed like it would never break to 26.0.

I took it out on the highway for a drive and to exercise the cruise control. I decided to reset the MPG display and after it went up and down a bit it indicated between 32 to 33 MPG depending on the hills. When I went into a section of highway where the Speed Limit was 50 MPH it went up to 34.1 MPG.

I realized that the MPG display must be taking a weighted average since the display was reset which was likely at the factory. As the mileage went up the amount of miles where the mileage was lower was the significant part of the average and it decreased the displayed MPG. If I did not reset the MPG display it would likely display MPG values in the 30s after being driven for another 2 or 3 thousand miles. It makes sense that it is a weighted average otherwise it would quick go to zero if you stop at a traffic light. Since the Miles to Empty is reset at each fillup it reads the same. I have a 450+ highway range which is good for the trips I usually take. My old car was 300+ which caused problems if you have a 3 hour stop schedule. You had to fuel at every stop or stop again for just fuel.

I also discovered that I thought the Average MPH display was Average MPG as it was in the same range as the MPG. I thought the MPG display measured at as shorter interval. It will be interesting to try out the other trip odometer, the timers, and the average MPH display on my next road trip.

73 Eric

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Keeping this short,

Date Total Sale Odometer Gallons Miles Traveled Price Per Gallon Cost Per Mile MPG

23. Jan. 2006 $32.68 633.7 13.74 320 $2.38 0.00744 23.298
25. Jan. 2006 $7.98 722 3.47 88.3 $2.30 0.02605 25.454
26. Jan. 2006 $7.98 792.8 3.47 70.8 $2.30 0.03249 20.409
26. Jan. 2006 $32.08 1186.5 14.86 393.7 $2.16 0.00548 26.499
26. Jan. 2006 $29.68 1527 12.75 340.5 $2.33 0.00684 26.716
27. Jan. 2006 $33.08 1885.2 14.39 358.2 $2.30 0.00642 24.892

Sorry about the format, but I think you can figure it out.

I keep a rolling log in Excel. This was a fully loaded SEL V6, averaging about 70-75, and with about 500 pounds in the trunk.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had a chance to put some more highway miles on our I-4 Automatic Milan. Conservative driving from 57 to 70 mph on an 85-degree day (to the coast and back) yielded 34.5 mpg.
The second trip was to the L.A. Auto Show with a lot of hills and very hard driving at times yielded 30.5mpg.
The third trip was to the L.A. Auto Show again with a lot of hills and very hard driving at times with wet weather yielded 30.2mpg.
These trips were with two people in the car with about 70 lbs of luggage.
In town driving has been about 21.5 to 22.7 mpg.
For a 4-cylinder engine, this automobile runs very strong and the transmission shift points are right on.
I am still in disbelief of how well this machine performs and I have seen a lot of junk in my life.

Just for a comparison, my Mothers car is a 2004 Toyota Corolla (1.8 liter auto with vvt) yields just over 21mpg in town and between 36 and 37 mpg on the highway.
:goodjob:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am still very unhappy with the fuel economy with my Milan (2.3 I4 w/5spd)

I am averaging 23-24 mpg driving 70% of the time on the highway. I drive fairly conservatively and shift early. To date, the average temp in my area has been in the 30's to 40's, but I was expecting more when I bought thins car. I have logged 2700 miles to date, and have not noticed much of an improvement since day one.

I will be making my first straight highway trip in a few weeks, so we shall see how that goes.

Other then the mpg issue, great car!

·
Registered
580 Posts
The standard transmission car has a lower ring and pinion ratio ( higher revs at 70 mph ). What is your revs at 70. This automatic trans car is turning 2400 rpm at 70 mph.
Also , the cold dense air will cause the computer to put more fuel in the motor.

Some years ago, I had a 79 Audi 5000 with a 2144cc 5 cylinder engine and the best I could do on the highway was
28mpg.So this car with its new technology is thumping all over the old car.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Wow! I would really like them to add the 6 speed auto and manual option to the I-4 and gear it way up. I told the dealer that at the time I bought , I would have paid extra for a 6 speed automatic. The Crown Vic and the big Merc get 30 mpg
on the highway with a v8. They are geared way up and with the overdrive.

More low end torque and taller gears are the answer and the factory can do this.Its really in the cards.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree these cars need an over-overdrive. I do a good amount of highway driving and 3000 rpms is rediculous. These aren't Hondas that have to be redlined to make power. There's no reason why a car that's at cruising speed needs to be above 2500.

Don't be complaining about gas mileage so much until you have someone living in the same area as you post their mileage. Temerature has a big impact on mileage. It's why you'll get 34mpg in 85 deg weather and 25 in 40. I'm at 26 now. Since switching to Mobile 1, I seem to be getting 1 more mpg.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the decrease in mpg has to do with air density. Cold air is more dense so the engine is pumping more air (same volume, just more dense), which requires more fuel to get the right air/fuel ratio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree and diagree with some statements. I'm averaging about 21.5-22 in city, about 33 -32 on highway going 55 mph. Going 65-70-75 I'm getting about 28 - is this typical and good or bad?....I'm not a mechanic by far, but, your opinons and insight I appreciate. I got the car brand new, with 5 miles on it....now I have about 2400.....I'm alos concerned about the tranmission shifting alot in city driving, is that alos typical with the 6-speed V-6?. Let me know what you guys think, the guy that stated about keeping a log in Excel about MPH has a good idea - I think I'll start doing that as well.

·
Registered
580 Posts
These transmissions have over-drive in them but there is a differance in the final ratio. The V6 has the tallest ratio and next is the I-4 automatic and last is the I-4 standard.
Yes, you are right about the air/fuel ratio and its called (Stoichiometric) or the perfect mixture for the least amount of harmful emissions.
The more speeds in the transmission allows for less load on the engine for take off, allmost like adding an electric motor to the engine ( as in a hybird ).

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.