FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2007 Fusion, and it's making noise from the right front wheel. Wheel is tight and the brakes are fine, but the rotor seems to have some play. Could this be the bearing or the CV joint?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi. I have a 2007 Fusion, and it's making noise from the right front wheel. Wheel is tight and the brakes are fine, but the rotor seems to have some play. Could this be the bearing or the CV joint?
Did you figure this one out? I have a similar noise that sounds like a muffled knobby tire noise. Swapped front tires noise still occurs on passenger side. when I turn left placing weight on passenger side the noise quietens down. When I turn right and shift weight to the driver side it gets louder. My research points to bearing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Did you figure this one out? I have a similar noise that sounds like a muffled knobby tire noise. Swapped front tires noise still occurs on passenger side. when I turn left placing weight on passenger side the noise quietens down. When I turn right and shift weight to the driver side it gets louder. My research points to bearing.

Yep. Bearing. Easy to do. There are a few threads here on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cool, thanks. I'm stuck on the removing lower ball joints. Mine will not budge. Tried to preserve the boot at first then after the Harbor Freight ball joint tool broke, I went hammer on it. Pickle Fork, air hammer, heat, etc. Still no luck.

I came across a similar tool to the Ford/Mazda ball joint separator (the one you can't find for under $250) that was made for VW/Audi. I ordered that and I'm crossing my fingers that tool plus heat and some 4lb sledge hammer blows will separate it. This job has been so frustrating when it should've been very easy. :verysad: I'm also a little shocked you can't replace the ball joints without replacing the whole suspension arms.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Use a steel spreader/wide tap to split the "foot" of the knuckle, and then it should drop out, or drop out with some easy tapping from a hammer and wood block.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Use a steel spreader/wide tap to split the "foot" of the knuckle, and then it should drop out, or drop out with some easy tapping from a hammer and wood block.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of this...I should also clarify that I have a Lincoln MKZ and from what I understand is the same suspension and chassis as the 626( how I ended up here)

Where is this "foot" you speak of?

Here is what my situation looks like.
Bottom of the knuckle where the ball joints are

Whole knuckle assembly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Forgot I posted those pics. Anyway, I had to take the whole assembly off and take to a machine shop, they ended up destroy the ball joints in the process, 4 new suspension arms were required but it did fix the issue.

Long story short it was the wheel bearing, replaced both with Timkins, ball joints destroyed new suspension arms to replace ball joints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts