Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source:
The Detroit Free Press

Ford to suggest BP fuel

Carmaker, refiner put promo on caps

July 2, 2005

BY JAMIE BUTTERS
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Ford Motor Co. and oil giant BP are trying to get their marketing message under your skin -- or at least under the skin of your car.

BRANDING WITH THE BLUE OVAL
The Ford brand has used various marketing partners in different situations.

Dell computers and Home Depot: sales promotions.

Harley-Davidson, Eddie Bauer: special-edition vehicles.

BP: recommended energy company, jointly developing fluids, fuels and lubricants that "benefit the customer as well as the environment."

Gas caps on almost all Ford brand vehicles sold in the United States, starting with the 2006 model year, will bear the message "Ford recommends BP," the companies said Friday.

It has been standard since the days of Standard Oil (before it became Amoco and was acquired by BP in 1998) for automakers to recommend specific weights of oil and levels of octane in the gasoline, or petrol, as it had been peddled by British Petroleum.

But Ford and BP say this is the first time an automaker has touted a particular energy company or brand of fuel in the United States.

This could be because all gasoline is pretty much the same and car companies didn't want to confuse or mislead their customers.

Or perhaps the automakers didn't want to risk turning off consumers who live in areas where other oil companies are popular. (In some cases, cars and trucks will be available without the BP caps, said spokeswoman Lydia Cisaruk.)

But Ford is willing to take its chances with green partner BP, which plans to build hydrogen filling stations in Ann Arbor and two other cities for Ford's fuel-cell vehicle pilot project that is partially funded by the U.S. Department of Energy.

Spokespeople would not say whether BP is paying cash for the message placement or whether it is a form of payment for the hydrogen stations.

A similar program started last year in Europe, where motor oil is often promoted with cap messages, apparently without disturbance.

(BP says the success of that program sparked the U.S. effort, though it would provide no supporting data.)

The caps are made by Stant Manufacturing, which made the ornamental radiator cap for Henry Ford's 1928 Model A.

But with such a subtle marketing effort, one risk is that the message stays out of sight, out of mind.

Ford dealer Ken Blanton in Ashland, Ky., near a Marathon Ashland Petroleum refinery, said he doubts the special caps would make much of a difference for either company.

"I don't know if people would pay attention to that, anyway."

Contact JAMIE BUTTERS at 313- 222-8775 or [email protected].

·
Registered
148 Posts
i know this is an old topic but i kinda think it worked, i always liked bp fuels for some reason and now that my fusion has the lil green logo i find myself going to them exclusivly, yes my other cars ive used everything around and still liked bp, so this lil branding just reinforced what i thought, dunno if any other fusion owners only use bp ha

·
Registered
377 Posts
BP fuel in California is ARCO fuel. ARCO = Crappy, waterdown, and dirty fuel. I am not going to put that in my vehicle ever again. "NUFF SAID"

·
Registered
60 Posts
BP withdrew from Canada in the late 80s yet my Canadian Fusion's owner's manual (French and English) recommends BP fuel !

If I drive down the the US everytime I need to fill-up things will become quite expensive ;-)

·
Registered
288 Posts
so Ford is recommending BP for fuel, eh?

the same BP that allowed the Alaskan pipeline to get into such disarray that's it's rusting out in over a dozen spots, and costing you and me an arm and a leg at the gas pumps over the next couple months.

Yeah, I'd trust them... :x NOT !

by the way, how does a pipe that's carrying oil, rust out? Isn't oil used to keep things from rusting?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I get better mileage with BP. I filled up with Citgo the other day and I'm only averaging 18.5, usually I get 20-21.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ford is just trying to make money anyway possible. Even if it has to advertise on gas caps. :klavergreg:

·
Registered
85 Posts
fusion is 3 weeks old, first 2 weeks i used speedway, mileage was 22mpg... this past week i have bp, mileage is 24... who knows.. but eh, 30 extra miles to a tank is cool with me!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Doesn't Speedway use 10% ethanol?

[quote author=Mgallun link=topic=24831.msg945208#msg945208 date=1158009845]
fusion is 3 weeks old, first 2 weeks i used speedway, mileage was 22mpg... this past week i have bp, mileage is 24... who knows.. but eh, 30 extra miles to a tank is cool with me!
[/quote]

G

·
Here in NJ the big gas dispenser is Wawa. And at times when the gas spikes really high near 3.00 a gallon I get horrible gas mileage around 19 - 20 cuz they water it down and all that shizzit. But now that it has come down a lot finally im getting back towards 25 mpg. Thank god for low gas prices! :klavergreg:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I find the BP recommendation annoying and a chincy way for Ford to make a buck. Now if they really want to put their money where there mouth is, give me a nickel off every gallon of BP fuel I use in my Fusion. And another thing, I wish the fusion had a remote fuel door release, or a locking gas cap, and a tether to hold the fuel cap while filling would have been nice.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd only use "Top Tier" gasolines in my car.
"Top Tier " fuels are fuels that pass the most stringent of tests.
They include CHEVRON,SHELL, UNION 76,and TEXACO....BP didn't make the grade and niether did MOBIL.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=SoCalFusion link=topic=24831.msg1160508#msg1160508 date=1169372059]
I'd only use "Top Tier" gasolines in my car.
"Top Tier " fuels are fuels that pass the most stringent of tests.
They include CHEVRON,SHELL, UNION 76,and TEXACO....BP didn't make the grade and niether did MOBIL.
[/quote]
What denotes a "Top Tier" gasoline? None of the brands you mentioned are readily available in our area. Is Exxon a "Top Tier" fuel? Plenty of that around here. Boz

·
Registered
230 Posts
What denotes a "Top Tier" gasoline? None of the brands you mentioned are readily available in our area. Is Exxon a "Top Tier" fuel? Plenty of that around here. Boz
[/quote]
Here you go............http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

Shell isn't available where you live? I thought they were all over the country?

Here's a list.......

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada

·
Registered
817 Posts
SoCal,
Thanks for the update. I'll have to look around more the next time I fill up. I just usually go with the cheapest place, like Wawa, a convenience store on the right (East) coast. I do think we have a couple of Texacos and maybe one Shell station. No BP though, which is what Ford is now recommending. Odd. Boz

·
Registered
7 Posts
[quote author=urnews link=topic=24831.msg1160998#msg1160998 date=1169409871]
SoCal,
Thanks for the update. I'll have to look around more the next time I fill up. I just usually go with the cheapest place, like Wawa, a convenience store on the right (East) coast. I do think we have a couple of Texacos and maybe one Shell station. No BP though, which is what Ford is now recommending. Odd. Boz
[/quote]

Boz, aren't you having MPG problems? If so you might be interested in something I noticed recently. My wife's Zephyr with about 4K on it was barely getting 17 mpg city using whatever off brand gas that was convenient. When I drove it and the tank was about at 1/8th I gassed up at BP, reset the dash computer and on that tank the MPG went up to around 19.4 (18.7 actual) which was a couple mpg higher than it has been showing using whatever gas. On the next fillup I reset the computer and made it a point to gas up at Speedway (whatever) and the mpg went down to 17 again. Went to BP on the next tank and it was up to 19 again. I didn't think the brand made much difference but evidently it does. BP is usually priced about the same as the other stations around here. Out of curiosity I'm going to switch gas on the next few more tanks just to see if the mpg difference continues.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah Orinoco, big time mpg problems, 13 and 14 for the first 900 miles. We do not have BP in our area but I am going to try filling up with Shell and then Texaco to see if it makes a difference. Good suggestion, much appreciated.

A few more mpg would improve my disposition and my opinion of the SEL AWD. The owners manual says not to even check the mileage until 2,000 to 3,000 miles, break-in. I am being too impatient, I know. At 4,000 miles your Lincoln should be broken in. Does it have the 3.0 or the 3.5 V6?

·
Registered
53 Posts
From what I understand about the top tier program, a group of oil companies designed the test and put their products through it and they passed. Other companies are welcome to be tested, but they have to pay for it and perhaps BP and others balked at this. I'm not promoting BP, but I have read and heard about there gas returning better MPG than "off brands". I have tested it, but not long term, so I can't say if it's true. I wonder how independently owned BP stations verify their fuel meets BP standards, especially when I notice the same fuel trucks unloading at BP and then another day they will be unloading at an "off brand" station.
On another note...does anyone have any tangible proof that 10% ethanol blended fuels return lower MPG's than regular, non blended unleaded? I know ethanol has less energy than gas, but around here ethanol consistently runs 5-10 cents less per gallon than regular non blended fuel.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've definitly noticed the ethanol blends return poorer mileage. Recently filled up my wife's Mariner and noticed that with Chevron it gets about 2mpg higher than with off-brand, ethanol blend.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts