FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this idea for quite a while now, but seeing as how I'm a college student who's idea of a big purchase is anything more than $100... I just can't see this happening anytime soon.

I think a lot of people would agree: the Fusion's front end is more attractive than the Milan's, and the Milan's rear end is more attractive than the Fusion's. Even if you don't agree, that's besides the point lol.

As much as I love the Fusion's tail lights, the Milan's are better. I wanted to somehow put the Milan's tails on my car. From my observations, the shape of tail lights are the same, except that the Milan's are shorter. I'm thinking that it might be possible to create a Ford Milan/Mercury Fusion by swapping the tail lights, deck lid, and rear bumper. I couldn't just replace the tail lights and the bumper, because then I would have 2 license plates lol, so I need the deck lid as well.

The only issues I see with this idea is that the Mercury symbol in the deck lid set in an indentation, so I couldn't just remove it and replace it with a Ford symbol (or Steeda :)). Also, the Milan has a body line on the bumpers and above the side skirts, but that might not be too noticeable.

What do you guys think? More importantly, would anyone want to swap with me? :wink:

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Would be an interesting swap, but good luck getting a Milan owner to volunteer any parts. I like the Fusion front end (not as much as the Milan's, though), but wouldn't trade anyone for the Fusion rear end.

·
Registered
198 Posts
We think you're nuts. :D

Seriously, this was one of the main reasons I opted for the Milan a year and a half ago - I hated the Fusion taillights. To this day, when I see one on the road I can't stand them. I am so glad I bought the Milan now. The two things I had concerns about - the waterfall grille and the 16 spoke wheels have grown on me over time and I now think they actually look pretty good.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=Cueball link=topic=94228.msg1843853#msg1843853 date=1194641430]
We think you're nuts. :D
[/quote]
:dance:

Yea, I realize that no one in their right mind would switch with me lol.

I guess the real question is, is this possible? or even a good idea?

btw, I LOVE the 16-spoke wheels, want to trade? :chuckles:

·
Registered
62 Posts
yea, you're nuts! the Milan is Sexier all around :)

but it would be neat too see the combination :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally I like the Fusion all around and would not trade any part of it for a Milan part. Some may not agree but, I think the Milan's rear looks like an old person's car. 8) Love your Fusion just how it is; it's beautiful! BTW I love the third chrome bar on the grill. Was that a difficult undertaking?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=paulgd287 link=topic=94228.msg1844747#msg1844747 date=1194671488]
Personally I like the Fusion all around and would not trade any part of it for a Milan part. Some may not agree but, I think the Milan's rear looks like an old person's car. 8) Love your Fusion just how it is; it's beautiful! BTW I love the third chrome bar on the grill. Was that a difficult undertaking?
[/quote]

Hmm, I think I might be sending the wrong message. I love everything about the Fusion. I love the tail lights and I love all the chrome. I just thought it would be cool to do the tail light swap because it would be so unique, and would most likely confuse many people lol.

The third bar wasn't easy, but it wasn't too bad. If you are pretty good with DIY stuff, you should be able to do it. There is a thread with detailed instructions on how to mount it. You need to cut the ends off to make it fit, and fab up some brackets real quick-a-like and you're good to go (or buy brackets, but that's no fun).

[quote author=Talisman link=topic=94228.msg1844554#msg1844554 date=1194662971]
Just buy a MKZ. Then you can have a Fusion with a better engine,HID's,interior and better looks all around! 8) ;)
[/quote]

I probably would be driving an MKZ right now if I had test driven one before I bought the Fusion. I was completely unaware of the 3.5 in the MKZ at the time. Although, to me the MKZ is more of a badass luxury car than a car you can add performance parts to and make it look and sound fast. A deep, (pseudo-)throaty exhaust (like mine) would clash with what the MKZ is all about. Don't get me wrong, they are amazing in every aspect.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
^ I wish I could have my Lincoln tomorrow at the meet so I could prove to you otherwise about the Zephyr/MKZ performance thing. Performance mods seem to compliment this car perfectly.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=paulgd287 link=topic=94228.msg1844747#msg1844747 date=1194671488]
Some may not agree but, I think the Milan's rear looks like an old person's car.

[/quote]

I agree to an extent. I think the Milan is more "elegant", but I like the Fusion specifically because it's "sportier" if that makes any sense. The Fusion has grown on me since I bought my Milan, would be a harder choice between the two if I had to choose one now.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think the Milans front end is a little nicer. But in NO WAY would I trade for the Milans rear end.. Fusion = BETTER!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The Milan taillights will not fit in the Fusion's space. The Milan headlights are smaller. You can buy a Mercury trunk and get half of those lights, but it will take a bit of reconstruction to fill in a 4-6" gap that the Mercury taillights would leave.

I for one actually like the Fusion's rear end, although it took a year for it to grow on me. I would still like to buy some taillights and paint that chrome lip black.

·
Registered
584 Posts
All you would need is a Milan's rear bumper to make up the space. The trunklids should be the same, but the Merc has the tail-lamp extension where the Fusion has metal. I bet if you measured it, you could keep the Fusion's trunk if you wanted...get Merc tails and a rear bumper swap and be done. And it would still say Ford on the back. I was thinking of doing that myself...but I'm waiting to see if there is an aftermarket LED tail lamp, and if not, I might design one with new Fusion housings.

·
Registered
313 Posts
[quote author=seawolf link=topic=94228.msg1867118#msg1867118 date=1195570127]
The trunklids should be the same, but the Merc has the tail-lamp extension where the Fusion has metal. I bet if you measured it, you could keep the Fusion's trunk if you wanted...get Merc tails and a rear bumper swap and be done.
[/quote]

Ummm. Go up to the top and look at the pictures again.

My personal opinion is that the Milan's rear end makes the car look taller and narrower. Front end is a little cleaner than the Fusion though.

I'm glad I got a Fusion though. SAP interior is killer and it lacks all the extra gee-gaws that get put in the Milan's interior.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ok, I looked at them again. They look quite similar. Sure the Milan has a taillamp-section where the Fusion does not, but the overall shape of the trunklids looks quite similar.

The Milan's looks deeper, because the Milans' tails are shorter than the Fusions.
The Milan's looks narrower because of the tail-lamp extensions.
But look at how the trunk follows the lines of both tail lamps (or the Merc's left/half of the drivers-side lamp). They appear to be the same.

I bet if someone measured the trunks, they would be from the same stamping (same size). Parts-sharing in that way is not uncommon, and I'm not crazy.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I agree with the OP, the Fusion has the better front end, and the Milan has the better rear end. Its not the Fusion's rear end setup that bothers me, it's the tail lights themselves. the fake chrome behind the clear plastic looks so cheap and tacky. if it was all clear/chrome with red LEDs then it would look good, but Ford had to cheap out with the Fusion's tail lights :x

a combination of the Fusion with the Milan's rear-end (a "Milusion"? ;)) would be pretty nice. I have been thinking of doing that for a while now, but buying the tail lights + trunk lid + bumper cover and then having them painted would be very expensive.

then there is the electrical differences. The Fusion's tail light uses a single bulb for parking lights/brake lights/turn signals, with a separate clear bulb for reverse light. The Milan's tail light uses an LED array for parking lights/brake lights, an orange bulb for turn signals, and a clear bulb in the trunk lid section for the reverse light. the wiring is different due to the Fusion's combined brake light/turn signal.

To save money you could switch to the Milan tail lights (side sections only) and keep the Fusion's bumper and trunk lid. some modifications and a little fabrication would be necessary but nothing major.
-to take care of the electrical issue, the turn signal socket would have to be rewired as the reverse light socket (and replace orange bulb with clear bulb).
-the other issue would be the 1"-2" gap below the tail light but that should be easy enough to fix with some foam/fiberglass.

I whipped up a quick (and sloppy) photoshop pic of what a Fusion would look like with the Milan's outer tail lights:

I think it would look good (especially in person ;))

·
Registered
584 Posts
That's exactly what I was talking about. Nice pic.

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
Hi all. :wavey: Just wanted to mention this, before anyone decides to make this change, goes out and buys two triangular Milan tail lamps and a Milan bumper cover, but keeps their Fusion trunk lid (like FusionFanatic's Photoshop pic).

We need to check to be sure that the Milan's triangular tail lamp includes the brake, turn signal and back-up lamp bulbs. If any of those bulbs are only in the section which is on the trunk lid of the Milan, you are screwed.

I don't know if all three (brake, turn, back-up) are included in that small triangular housing or not.

I helped my brother-in-law purchase a Milan in July-August, so I will check the bulbs as soon as I have a chance to go to their house and take a look.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
505 Posts
@bbf2530, read my last post. I already explained the electrical differences and how to modify the Milan's tail light to work for the Fusion ;)

[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=94228.msg1873559#msg1873559 date=1195850043]
before anyone decides to make this change, goes out and buys two triangular Milan tail lamps and a Milan bumper cover, but keeps their Fusion trunk lid (like FusionFanatic's Photoshop pic)
[/quote]
that pic is what the Fusion would look like with ONLY the Milan's outer tail lights. The bumper cover and trunk lid were NOT changed.

We need to check to be sure that the Milan's triangular tail lamp includes the brake, turn signal and back-up lamp bulbs.
[/quote]
don't need to check anything. "The Fusion's tail light uses a single bulb for parking lights/brake lights/turn signals, with a separate clear bulb for reverse light. The Milan's tail light uses an LED array for parking lights/brake lights, an orange bulb for turn signals, and a clear bulb in the trunk lid section for the reverse light."

If any of those bulbs are only in the section which is on the trunk lid of the Milan, you are screwed.
[/quote]
screwed? not really. "to take care of the electrical issue, the turn signal socket would have to be rewired as the reverse light socket (and replace orange bulb with clear bulb)"

it won't be a simple plug&play replacement. it will require some minor modification but it shouldn't be too hard. to some people it's more work then it's worth, to others it's worth it. the only reason that any of us are considering doing this mod is because there are no aftermarket tail lights available for the Fusion. for people that don't like the Fusion's tail lights this seems to be the easiest way to upgrade.

:csweeney:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts