FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford gets 5 top quality awards

POSTED: 2:38 p.m. EDT, June 6, 2007

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Five vehicles from Ford Motor Co. placed at the top of their categories in initial quality, according to a survey released Wednesday by J.D. Power and Associates.

The 2007 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study looks at both manufacturing defects and design problems in new cars as reported by their owners.

The Ford Mustang ranked as the most problem-free "Midsize sporty car" in the survey while the Mercury Milan was the highest ranked midsized car and the closely related Lincoln MKZ was the top-ranked "Entry premium car."

The Lincoln Mark LT, a luxury version of the Ford F150 truck, was the top-ranked SUV and the Mazda MX-5 Miata was the top-ranked "compact sporty car." (Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda.)

All three of Ford's U.S.-based brands - Ford, Lincoln and Mercury - earned above-average marks for quality. Ford's European luxury car brand Jaguar ranked sixth, tying with Toyota's Toyota brand.

The overall top brand, on average, was Porsche with 91 problems per 100 vehicles. (The average car in the survey had 125 problems per 100 vehicles.) The Porsche Boxster was the top-ranked "Compact premium sporty car," according to the survey.

The second-ranked brand overall was Toyota's Lexus luxury brand followed by Lincoln, Honda and Mercedes-Benz.

The Mercedes-Benz SL-class was the top-ranked "Premium sporty car" and the E-class was the top-ranked "midsize premium car." The Mercedes-Benz S-class tied with the Audi A8 as the top-ranked "large premium car."

Mercedes-Benz has not done well in J.D. Power surveys in the past but jumped 20 places in the rankings this year to finish fifth.

"All Mercedes-Benz models in the study improved substantially," said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis for J.D. Power, in the announcement, "and the breadth and speed of these improvements demonstrates the Mercedes-Benz commitment to quality."

No GM brands earned above-average scores in the survey. GM's best-ranking brand was Buick with 127 problems per 100 vehicles, a score that placed it just below average.

The highest ranking brand from DaimlerChrysler's U.S.-based division, the Chrysler Group, was Chrysler. Chrysler had 151 problems per 100 vehicles, placing it well below average.

At the bottom of the scale, Ford's luxury SUV division, Land Rover, ranked last of all brands with 170 problems per 100 vehicles. Still, that represents a reduction of 34 problems per 100 vehicles from last year.

Despite taking the top spot in the "small sporty car" segment with the Miata, Mazda finished second-to-last among brands overall with 163 problems per 100 vehicles.

Top ranked vehicles

Subcompact: Kia Rio/Rio5

Compact: Honda Civic

Compact sporty: Mazda MX-5 Miata

Compact premium sporty: Porsche Boxster

Entry Premium: Lincoln MKZ

Midsized premium: Mercedes-Benz E-class

Large premium: Audi A8/Mercedes-Benz S-class

Premium sporty: Mercedes-Benz SL-class

Midsized sporty: Ford Mustang

Midsize: Mercury Milan

Large: Pontiac Grand Prix

Compact SUV: Honda CR-V

Midsize SUV: Toyota 4Runner

Lage SUV: Toyota Sequoia

Midsize Premium SUV: Lexus RX

Large Premium SUV: Lincoln Mark LT

Large pickup: Chevrolet Silverado Classic HD

Midsize pickup: Toyota Tacoma

Van: Chevrolet Express

Source: J.D. Power and Associates

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/06/06/jdpa_quality/index.html

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Congratulations Ford! :cheers: Its about time they start receiving awards again.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hooray for Ford. Nice going.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That gives me goosebumps (the good kind)!!!

·
Registered
910 Posts
:klavergreg: hehe I'm with ming I need a porsche as well! :)

Definetly good news for ford and all of us ford owners :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
:DOh am I loving this. I visit about 6 other chat rooms around the net and the Toyota/Honda crowd is in an uproar over this one. Already some are claiming this is a one time deal before Ford dies and goes away. Some are claiming Bias!! if you can believe it!?? :eek:. Ford will turn itself around here in North America.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
[quote author=Scape2 link=topic=79722.msg1473877#msg1473877 date=1181407439]
:DOh am I loving this. I visit about 6 other chat rooms around the net and the Toyota/Honda crowd is in an uproar over this one. Already some are claiming this is a one time deal before Ford dies and goes away. Some are claiming Bias!! if you can believe it!?? :eek:. Ford will turn itself around here in North America.
[/quote]

You think they owned stock in those Japanese corporations the way they talk about them. What a sad bunch of wannabe Americans.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ford Motor Company deserves this top honor. As well as all the other manufacturers. I say, "Congrats to all of them, job well done".
I am also very proud to see my truck was rated best Large Premium SUV of the year. :D

I love Ford Motor Company Vehicles but my next vehicle will be a Pontiac G8. That car body style, performance engine, and interior are bad ass! I want one. I may stay North American after all guys. Thanks Pontiac your car has beaten my European choices for my next vehicle. :sold: :boink: :goodjob:

·
Registered
817 Posts
To each his (or her) own. That Pontiac doesn't do much for me. If I were going to get a bigger car it would be the "new" Taurus (Five Hundred).

·
Registered
702 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=79722.msg1476146#msg1476146 date=1181519489]
That Pontiac is sporty as hell. I love those shoes.
[/quote]

Unfortunately those "shoes" won't be production. But almost everything else will be.

I too and pretty much sold on the G8. The only other car I've really looked at was the G35 sedan.

I do have to say congrads to ford. If my car were wrecked tomorrow I'd probably buy another fusion because the G8 isn't out yet. Either that or I'd wait for it to come out and drive a clunker for the time between.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The G8 looks pretty good. I imagine 400+hp will be standard with a 500 hp high performance variant in the works. Rumors of a 500 hp 7.0L SS Camaro are running rampant, so hopefully the G8 receives the same package to compete with the Shelby Cobras. I hate the standard Pontiac front end, almost as much as the corporate Dodge front end, but they seemed to have minimized the "Pontiacness" in the G8.

[quote author=NaplesBill link=topic=79722.msg1503170#msg1503170 date=1182373195]
Ford needs to take the new Taurus and make an SVT version or even a new SHO.
[/quote]

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've read in several magazines that if Congress changes the CAFE requirements, it will endanger most all the RWD cars that are nearing production. Just like the early 70's, Congress is going to kill the performance market- all in the name of trying to increase fuel efficiency. idiots :angrypoint:

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=NaplesBill link=topic=79722.msg1503170#msg1503170 date=1182373195]
Ford needs to take the new Taurus and make an SVT version or even a new SHO.
[/quote]
While there will always be an SVT or SHO market to some degree, I believe the general marketplace is moving in the opposite direction, with more emphasis on fuel economy, since gasoline is at $3 a gallon and likely to move into $4 territory in the near future.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't think the market for performance vehicles will ever shrink enough to make a SHO or SVT Fusion a loser. The market is still completely dominated by larger (less fuel efficient) vehicles and will be so until Congress forces consumers to buy vehicles they would not have chosen, and OEMs would not have built, in a free market.

Look at the market share of hybrids and small cars and then compare that to the market share of larger cars, trucks, and SUVs. Americans far and away favor larger and more powerful vehicles. We simply don't want 50mpg death traps that take 14 seconds to reach 60mph. :doh: Yeah, the relative shares will change a little bit but larger, more powerful vehicles are going to dominate into the foreseeable future.

Anyhow, performance and fuel efficiency are not mutually exclusive. Look at the Lexus IS 350! It will smoke any car most of us have ever owned and will still get 28 on the highway...not too shabby.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Getting back to the original post regarding the 5 Ford/Mercury/Lincoln awards in JD Power's Initial Quality Survey: I analyzed JD Power's data for midsize cars, and the Milan (I'm the proud owner of one) won the competition in a LANDSLIDE. In the "overall quality" column, it was the only car that earned 5 out of 5 bullets; the Honda Accord was the only one with 4 bullets; and all other midsizes, including the Camry, received only 2 or 3 bullets. Adding the bullets in all other criteria that roll up to the overall quality, Milan earned 37 bullets out of a possible 40; the second-place Accord got only 30 bullets; the Mitsubishi Gallant, 29; the Camry, 27; etc. If that isn't a LANDSLIDE win, I don't know what is!

Now I can see why the Toyota and Honda crowd are up in arms about the results of JD Powers' IQS. Not only did their Camry and Accord not prevail, they weren't even close point-wise. I own a Camry as well, but facts are facts. If the Milan won in what is probably a fairly objective and statistically-significant survey, I'm willing to accept the findings despite any personal feelings about my Camry.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Too bad the Fusion/Milan duo struggle to sell 15,000 units per month combined, while that darned Camry is bosting 40,000+ sales figures. The July Camry sales were 46k, Milan @ 2,800, Fusion 12,500. Unless Toyota is dumping a lot of Camrys to rental agencies, I just don't get it! I think Toyota is just riding high on their perceived quality / reliability attributes, whether realistic or not in 2007.

[quote author=chm1chm1 link=topic=79722.msg1534371#msg1534371 date=1183443892]
Getting back to the original post regarding the 5 Ford/Mercury/Lincoln awards in JD Power's Initial Quality Survey: I analyzed JD Power's data for midsize cars, and the Milan (I'm the proud owner of one) won the competition in a LANDSLIDE. In the "overall quality" column, it was the only car that earned 5 out of 5 bullets; the Honda Accord was the only one with 4 bullets; and all other midsizes, including the Camry, received only 2 or 3 bullets. Adding the bullets in all other criteria that roll up to the overall quality, Milan earned 37 bullets out of a possible 40; the second-place Accord got only 30 bullets; the Mitsubishi Gallant, 29; the Camry, 27; etc. If that isn't a LANDSLIDE win, I don't know what is!

Now I can see why the Toyota and Honda crowd are up in arms about the results of JD Powers' IQS. Not only did their Camry and Accord not prevail, they weren't even close point-wise. I own a Camry as well, but facts are facts. If the Milan won in what is probably a fairly objective and statistically-significant survey, I'm willing to accept the findings despite any personal feelings about my Camry.
[/quote]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts