FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
2006 Ford Fusion SE automatic front wheel drive.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entire circumstances of problem. I Changed the oil in my 2006 3.0 FORD FUSION SE after Jail. It was definitely due for it. My sons mom drove it while I was gone and she drove it for a little over 10,000kms without doing service or work to it. Besides making sure it had fluids ex. power steering, brakes, transmission, engine oil, and gasoline. It definitely needed some love when I got back. Before I changed the oil I noticed that the bottom of the car was covered in some type of oily substance but yet it didn’t burn hardly any engine oil unless on a very long road trip then I’d have to add maybe 1/10th of a 1 litre on return from the trip. It still runs really good. I almost hardly have to add oil to it. After I changed the oil and the filter and the drain plug as well as the drain plug gasket. The car got this almost acidic burnt kind of smell and it’s now louder then ever. I’m also going to let you guys know I did get distracted by something else and I looked away and ended up spilling a generous amount of oil when I was refilling it and some went right into the alternator before I realized i was spilling any. I did my best to wipe it up with rags at home. I do live in the country and I don’t have a spot on my house to hook up a water hose so I figured I’d just drive it to the car wash when I got time too. Anyways I washed it at the car wash motor and underneath and it still didn’t get rid of that smell so Im thinking it’s the oil pan leaking onto the exhaust or the led headlights+anti flicker adapters I added after the oil change. But why would it smell so acidicly burnt and why would it start smelling that way after the oil change was done and not before? Help? Oh yeah I forgot to say I did the oil change twice to flush the motor after not doing it for so long. The first time I used the cheapest stock oil filter Canadian tire had for the 3.0 fusion (moto master) I think it was. I drove it for maybe 2-300 kms then did the change again using Canadian tires most expensive stock oil filter the extra guard one.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Entire circumstances of problem. I Changed the oil in my 2006 3.0 FORD FUSION SE after Jail. It was definitely due for it. My sons mom drove it while I was gone and she drove it for a little over 10,000kms without doing service or work to it. Besides making sure it had fluids ex. power steering, brakes, transmission, engine oil, and gasoline. It definitely needed some love when I got back. Before I changed the oil I noticed that the bottom of the car was covered in some type of oily substance but yet it didn’t burn hardly any engine oil unless on a very long road trip then I’d have to add maybe 1/10th of a 1 litre on return from the trip. It still runs really good. I almost hardly have to add oil to it. After I changed the oil and the filter and the drain plug as well as the drain plug gasket. The car got this almost acidic burnt kind of smell and it’s now louder then ever. I’m also going to let you guys know I did get distracted by something else and I looked away and ended up spilling a generous amount of oil when I was refilling it and some went right into the alternator before I realized i was spilling any. I did my best to wipe it up with rags at home. I do live in the country and I don’t have a spot on my house to hook up a water hose so I figured I’d just drive it to the car wash when I got time too. Anyways I washed it at the car wash motor and underneath and it still didn’t get rid of that smell so Im thinking it’s the oil pan leaking onto the exhaust or the led headlights+anti flicker adapters I added after the oil change. But why would it smell so acidicly burnt and why would it start smelling that way after the oil change was done and not before? Help? Oh yeah I forgot to say I did the oil change twice to flush the motor after not doing it for so long. The first time I used the cheapest stock oil filter Canadian tire had for the 3.0 fusion (moto master) I think it was. I drove it for maybe 2-300 kms then did the change again using Canadian tires most expensive stock oil filter the extra guard one.
Hi Chevy350. Welcome to the Ford Fusion Club, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

My blind Internet diagnosis? From the information you provided, my guess would be the most likely culprit is the oil that was spilled into the alternator.

This is a new one in the books, so hard to tell you what to do or what may happen. It possibly may may burn off over time. It may possibly start a fire. You may need to remove the altermator and try to clean it (if possible). Or, you may need to replace the alternator.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chevy350. Welcome to the Ford Fusion Club, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

My blind Internet diagnosis? From the information you provided, my guess would be the most likely culprit is the oil that was spilled into the alternator.

This is a new one in the books, so hard to tell you what to do or what may happen. It possibly may may burn off over time. It may possibly start a fire. You may need to remove the altermator and try to clean it (if possible). Or, you may need to replace the alternator.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Just broke down on the side of the highway and I figured out the rancid burnt smell it’s because the valve cover gaskets are leaking it caused the starter to fry itself the brushes are welded to the starter all the lights come on just no power to the starter now. It tries to click but it won’t even turn over once

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Just broke down on the side of the highway and I figured out the rancid burnt smell it’s because the valve cover gaskets are leaking it caused the starter to fry itself the brushes are welded to the starter all the lights come on just no power to the starter now. It tries to click but it won’t even turn over once
H Chevy350. Just saw this after reading and replying to your PM. Okay, sorry to hear about that.

Keep us updated and good luck.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have any ideas on by passing a starter solenoid on the 3.0 fusion or even on how to disassemble the solenoid to repair the ground cause the bolt the ground wire attaches too broke off it I don’t need anything permanent just a roadside fix

1 - 5 of 5 Posts