FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just picked up an 2010 Ford Fusion sel, the radio does not work despite all fuses being fine. There is just no sound so I suspect the amp is blown. My wife doesn’t want to spend $400 on a replacement deck, wiring harness, bezel ect. The cheapest route would be a oem head unit from a pick your part. I just wanted to check if it needed programming or not though, as that cost would likely negate purchasing an OEM unit over aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
2015 White Platinum on Terracotta
3,479 Posts
Iirc these are pnp. A good yard will let you return it if not. 1st ask them to see if they know, then you'll have some validity on your return of needed.

·
Administrator
6,077 Posts
Hey guys, just picked up an 2010 Ford Fusion sel, the radio does not work despite all fuses being fine. There is just no sound so I suspect the amp is blown. My wife doesn’t want to spend $400 on a replacement deck, wiring harness, bezel ect. The cheapest route would be a oem head unit from a pick your part. I just wanted to check if it needed programming or not though, as that cost would likely negate purchasing an OEM unit over aftermarket.
Hi Trivium and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. More information is needed to offer any sort of accurate information. Such as: Is your 2010 Fusion equipped with the built-in Navigation? Is it equipped with SYNC (a possible larger issue)? Does it have the Sony sound system (another possible issue) etc.etc.?

Here is some fact and some opinion. Fact...You are taking a chance with old OEM units. Same units, same age, same issues.
Fact...You can can find aftermarket audio units for far less than $400, with far better sound and features than the 2010 system offered. Plus, you will not be taking a chance on purchasing a 12 year old unit which may/will have the same problems in short order as the one you replaced.

Just for grins, go to Crutchfield: Crutchfield: Car Stereo and Audio, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, TVs
Use their "Find what fits your car" tool, and see what your other options are. They offer all you need to remove/install a new unit, including all the necessary wiring harnesses/connectors, face plates, detailed removal/installation instructions, lifetime tech support etc etc.

Opinion: Unless you are dead-set on keeping the dash looking "factory" and/or keeping all SYNC functionality (if applicable), you will almost certainly find better solutions to your issues. Even for the original SYNC.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iirc these are pnp. A good yard will let you return it if not. 1st ask them to see if they know, then you'll have some validity on your return of needed.
Pnp means plug and play? I would have thought so aswell but I’ve seen some where they mentioned they need programming. Though it could just be the newer ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Trivium and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. More information is needed to offer any sort of accurate information. Such as: Is your 2010 Fusion equipped with the built-in Navigation? Is it equipped with SYNC (a possible larger issue)? Does it have the Sony sound system (another possible issue) etc.etc.?

Here is some fact and some opinion. Fact...You are taking a chance with old OEM units. Same units, same age, same issues.
Fact...You can can find aftermarket audio units for far less than $400, with far better sound and features than the 2010 system offered. Plus, you will not be taking a chance on purchasing a 12 year old unit which may/will have the same problems in short order as the one you replaced.

Just for grins, go to Crutchfield: Crutchfield: Car Stereo and Audio, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, TVs
Use their "Find what fits your car" tool, and see what your other options are. They offer all you need to remove/install a new unit, including all the necessary wiring harnesses/connectors, face plates, detailed removal/installation instructions, lifetime tech support etc etc.

Opinion: Unless you are dead-set on keeping the dash looking "factory" and/or keeping all SYNC functionality (if applicable), you will almost certainly find better solutions to your issues. Even for the original SYNC.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Thanks for the info, i think you may be right and i should look at aftermarket options. I guess i was dead set on a double din stereo which will cost more but i think will be good in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts