FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents got a 2007 Ford Edge SEL this past week after their 2005 Explorer Sport got totaled. They got t-boned by an S10 going ~55mph. Luckily they walked away from it with only minor bumps/bruises.

I drove it the other day and it is awesome. The ride is a lot smoother and the steering is more loose than our Fusions. Although, this creates an incredibly comfortable, enjoyable drive. However, I prefer the handling of the Fusion. One thing I liked about the Edge was the throttle response. The 3.5L has more torque than the 3.0L and you can really feel it in the low RPM range, but it doesn't feel as powerful when you step on it. Overall, I would love to have the Edge as a second car.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I didn't know you got rid of the edge. Congrats on the 2nd fusion. I have been thinking about a fusion for my wife, but she is still trying to get used the high rear end. Did they screw you on your trade?

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
[quote author=Chris06Fusion link=topic=84860.msg1601527#msg1601527 date=1185923584]
I didn't know you got rid of the edge. Congrats on the 2nd fusion. I have been thinking about a fusion for my wife, but she is still trying to get used the high rear end. Did they screw you on your trade?
[/quote]

Hey Chris,

It wasn't bad... there was an $800.00 trade difference and I picked up a moonroof, DVD/ Navi and a 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. Timing was everything as I used an X-plan plus year-end '07 close out savings and dealer incentives took right at $3,000 off the new AWD Fusion.

The 3.5 is a great powerplant but with the Edge weighing in almost 1,000 lbs heavier than the Fusion there really is no 'seat-of-the-pants' difference.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
[quote author=fusedup link=topic=84860.msg1601660#msg1601660 date=1185927696]
[quote author=Chris06Fusion link=topic=84860.msg1601527#msg1601527 date=1185923584]
[/quote]

Hey Chris,

It wasn't bad... there was an $800.00 trade difference and I picked up a moonroof, DVD/ Navi and a 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. Timing was everything as I used an X-plan plus year-end '07 close out savings and dealer incentives took right at $3,000 off the new AWD Fusion.

The 3.5 is a great powerplant but with the Edge weighing in almost 1,000 lbs heavier than the Fusion there really is no 'seat-of-the-pants' difference.
[/quote]

Glad to see you didn't get the shaft. Did you let them know your thoughts on the edge?

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
No, as always they were just interested in selling another vehicle :shock:

Sadly, most of those issues are things you can't notice on a 5-10 minute test drive :x

Hey 11011101, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread...glad to hear your parents are o.k. and hope the Edge works out better for them. It looks like they opted for the charcoal interior so the glare shouldn't be an issue for them.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea they got the charcoal interior. Now that you mention that, I do remember reading something about really bad glare in that car. I don't think they will have too many issues with it since they are only leasing it and they really don't drive much since my dad is retired from Ford and my mom doesn't work.

·
Registered
288 Posts
[quote author=fusedup link=topic=84860.msg1601495#msg1601495 date=1185922885]
Hope they can enjoy it.. The list of TSB's is already as long as the Fusion list. The Fusion has been around for two years and the Edge for about 8 months. I had one and decided to get rid of it..below is my critique. If they have any questions about the Edge they can also browse the site in the link..

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=877
[/quote]

I couldn't get the link to work???

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Lammer-

Link seems to be working for me..but here is the post...

This post is designed to neither slam Ford, its product or its employees as my 5 previous vehicles have all been Fords. It is just a quick review of my experiences with the Ford Edge.

I have traded my 2007 AWD SEL+ Edge( 2,500 miles) for a second 2007 AWD SEL V6 Fusion.

2007 Edge (Pros)

3.5 Duratec V6

2007 Edge (Cons)

1) BRAKES-try the search fuction here with that word, enough said.
Worst pedal feel brakes of any vehicle I have ever owned.

2) Glare on windshield from dash (camel interior) Yes I have a pair of $120 Oakleys that did nothing for this issue. My new Fusion has Camel leather interior and the top part of the dash is black= NO GLARE

3) Wind buffeting at speed inside this vehicle is UNACCEPTABLE to me. Yes all vehicles do this to some degree but none that I have experienced have ever reached this level of visciousness.

4) Third brakelight placement: At night with brakes applied the whole rear cargo area is lit up red due to the placement of the light in the underside of the rear spoiler. This causes a major distraction in the rear view mirror in night-time driving conditions.

5) Paint quality on this vehicle is also the worst of any of my previous 16-17 vehicles I have owned regardless of make, model or manufacturer. Some inside door edges and under hood areas still have exposed primer along with other specs of contaminants on several areas of the paint on the body.

6) The uneasy and unexpected 'rolling backwards' while gear selector is in the "D" position with foot off of brake while sitting on the slightest of inclines.

7) The dreaded PULL/DRIFT issue that a TSB was issued for. Taken to the dealer for the TSB fix which seemed better for a day or two and then eventually came back again the longer the vehicle was driven.

All of this on a $30,000+ vehicle leads me to feel that I have paid for the privilege to be a test 'guinea pig' for this vehicle. Admittedly Ford had gotten into the 'crossover' segment a tad late and I believe with these types of issues it points towards a rush to get the vehicle to the market too quick. Engineers and test groups could have easily identified many of these issues way before the final end user had to discover them for his/herself. At this point I no longer want to be that 'guinea pig' .

I have a 2007 AWD Fusion with 15,000 miles/ Zero problems; so I am very sure I will be happy with a 2nd one!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts