FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's my idea that I think Ford should implement. It'd really give them something over the competition in countries with harsh winters.

Any person who's owned a car in the winter knows what the cold can do to your battery. Especially an older battery. One night in -40C weather and good luck starting your car (Heck,I think that block heaters should be standard in Canada, but that's something else).

What my idea would do, is tie in a trickle charge system to the battery via the standard grounded plug offered with a block heater. This will help to ensure that your battery has a charge when you go to start your car. Plus it would also make jump starting your car a lot easier should your battery run down. You could plug in a special extension cord in to your car from another car (equipped with the same system using a female to female cord) or even boost your car from your home power outlet (or up here in Edmonton (and the rest of Alberta) most places of business offer a car plug-in for the winter). And it'd be designed as such to stop the charge of your battery once it hits 95% full to prevent overcharging.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually in the process of trying to make up a prototype and patient it!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=TomV link=topic=180078.msg4033893#msg4033893 date=1306442819]
Also add a defroster line or two on the lower front windshield where the wiper blades sit.
[/quote]
That would be a good idea,

However after talking with some friends of mine, one who is a mechanic and another who I'm sure is an electrical engineer, this isn't a feesable thing to do.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hell, I'd move.

Me and cold weather ain't gonna work out

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
[quote author=Trainass link=topic=180078.msg4034065#msg4034065 date=1306459007]
Also add a defroster line or two on the lower front windshield where the wiper blades sit.
[/quote]

However after talking with some friends of mine, one who is a mechanic and another who I'm sure is an electrical engineer, this isn't a feesable thing to do.
[/quote]
Its completely 'feesable' or for the rest of us, feasible, lol ;) If you just put a few strips of the wire used on the rear glass along that part, which is dirt cheap btw, it would be perfect. I have had that idea for a long time and can't for the life of me figure out why they wouldn't do that. If I ever get a job at Ford you can bet your bottom I am going to fight to get that put in as an option. :lol:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=180078.msg4034166#msg4034166 date=1306467668]
[quote author=Trainass link=topic=180078.msg4034065#msg4034065 date=1306459007]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Its completely 'feesable' or for the rest of us, feasible, lol ;) If you just put a few strips of the wire used on the rear glass along that part, which is dirt cheap btw, it would be perfect. I have had that idea for a long time and can't for the life of me figure out why they wouldn't do that. If I ever get a job at Ford you can bet your bottom I am going to fight to get that put in as an option. :lol:
[/quote]
Oh ya, the front defrost idea is, but my original idea isn't

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
[quote author=Trainass link=topic=180078.msg3808598#msg3808598 date=1285559111]
What my idea would do, is tie in a trickle charge system to the battery via the standard grounded plug offered with a block heater. This will help to ensure that your battery has a charge when you go to start your car. Plus it would also make jump starting your car a lot easier should your battery run down. You could plug in a special extension cord in to your car from another car (equipped with the same system using a female to female cord) or even boost your car from your home power outlet (or up here in Edmonton (and the rest of Alberta) most places of business offer a car plug-in for the winter). And it'd be designed as such to stop the charge of your battery once it hits 95% full to prevent overcharging.

What do you think?
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=180078.msg4034183#msg4034183 date=1306468887]
lol, what was your idea?
[/quote]
Post #1

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
He didn't have an idea for the defrost. Notice how he commented aboot the idea for the defrost, and then two spaces below wrote about his idea not being feasible. He did that because he was not talking aboot defrosting, he was talking aboot the OP idea. :p

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Oh.....I need to go to sleep. :lol: I didn't at all make that connection. But I do have a good excuse, my basement flooded thanks to the massive amounts of rain we have been getting (Adam you know what I am talking about) so I had to lift up all the furniture and try to drain and clean it all up before it did any real big damage and then worked all night putting away a truck delivery so I am exhausted.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
That sucks aboot the basement man! This rain lately has been nasty as hell. On Wednesday I had to drive to Troy and back, and what usually takes an hour and 55 minutes took me over 4 hours :shock:

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Ya I have had those results with the roads too, getting to school was a nightmare considering 94 had about a foot and a half of standing water on top of it. :shock: Luckily nothing expensive was ruined in the basement, just a couple cardboard boxes and some random paper bags lying on the floor. All the furniture dried right out with only a little bit of water marks on em.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=acedeuce802 link=topic=180078.msg4034205#msg4034205 date=1306469787]
That sucks aboot the basement man! This rain lately has been nasty as hell. On Wednesday I had to drive to Troy and back, and what usually takes an hour and 55 minutes took me over 4 hours :shock:
[/quote]
You're not Canadian. You can't pull that off at all!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts