FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

my car is all stock at the moment, but i'm thinking about getting a set of aftermarket wheels and tires to replace my factory ones. i'm thinking about 18 inch personally, maybe 19's also. i'm weighing ride quality, looks, and tire avaliability and pricing. i checked out a few sites the other day to see if i liked anything but its hard to tell without seeing the wheels on the vehicle. also, looking at tire prices, 18-19 inch tires look to be expensive in some cases. my GF suggests i look around on ebay to find better deals on both wheels and tires. she even offered to purchase them for me since i don't have an account (i've never trusted ebay btw, heard a few bad transaction stories). anyone have any insights or advice for me? thanks for the help in advance....

·
Registered
221 Posts
go to a tire shop and discuss it with them. you can try discount tire online and tirerack and speak with live support staff. Both of those places will be nice place to buy from as well.

Personally, when I did my rims & tires. It was a choice between 18" & 20". 19s, which were my initial plan, are too rare and expensive. Since stock my car had 17s; it made no sense to go to 18s. So I chose 20s from discount tire store. If you upgrade to 20s; plan for much harsher ride. It will no longer feel like a 4 door family car. It will feel like a camaro or 2 door sport coupe. As a plus, handling will sky rocket. So it is you choice between better looks/ handling over harsher ride.

What ever you do. Keep the stock wheels/tires; esspecially if live in a winter climate area and use them in the winter. You can also put them back on when you trade or sell your car. Any aftermarket wheels you buy will fit many Ford vechiles because of the bolt pattern; so selling the "used" aftermarket in the future is not immpossible and will get more money rather than keeping them on car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the stock 16 inch hubbies are mine, so i just went to the 17 inch chrome w/ a good tire just b/c i wanted to keep the good ride, my car is still a family/daily car, no way was i going to loose the ride...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Weight is the most important thing for me when it comes to new rims. The choices for lightweight 20's aren't real great. I got the car for fuel ecomony and rotating mass doesn't help in that area. I will say though, nothing looks better than 20's on a Fusion but I can't justify the cost/compromise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went with a set of chrome Neeper Moxys 18X8.5, the bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5's or "114.3" I believe.
The tires are Nexen 245/40R18's, they are just a little shorter but I think I'm going to drop it now
cause I just don't like all the gap between the fender and tire. Steeda makes a drop kit for around
$250.00. I wish I could post a picture but haven't figured that out yet.

·
Registered
702 Posts
you don't know how to get that picture on this site? Use Photobucket.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
No I don't really...I have not ever posted a picture on a forum before so
I'm just not real sure what to do, But I have a friend that knows and I will
try to get him to teach me how to do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
[quote author=pkoko link=topic=71484.msg1258447#msg1258447 date=1173461805]
go to a tire shop and discuss it with them. you can try discount tire online and tirerack and speak with live support staff. Both of those places will be nice place to buy from as well.

Personally, when I did my rims & tires. It was a choice between 18" & 20". 19s, which were my initial plan, are too rare and expensive. Since stock my car had 17s; it made no sense to go to 18s. So I chose 20s from discount tire store. If you upgrade to 20s; plan for much harsher ride. It will no longer feel like a 4 door family car. It will feel like a camaro or 2 door sport coupe. As a plus, handling will sky rocket. So it is you choice between better looks/ handling over harsher ride.

What ever you do. Keep the stock wheels/tires; esspecially if live in a winter climate area and use them in the winter. You can also put them back on when you trade or sell your car. Any aftermarket wheels you buy will fit many Ford vechiles because of the bolt pattern; so selling the "used" aftermarket in the future is not immpossible and will get more money rather than keeping them on car.

Good luck.
[/quote]

Hey i got a question. I've been told that if i buy 20s for my car the front tires everytime i turn its going to hit the front part or something like that. that i need to go with a very low profile tire. i dont know nothing about rims and wheels. my question is... is that true? or the guy didnt want to sell me the 20s because he kept trying to push me into buying some 18s.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have an 06 SE that had 16's...I went with 18's on 245/40's. These aren't as low as 225's but I still have plenty of clearance after my Eibach springs and I like a little more tire. It's a wider tire too, so it handles great and I get a better ride than if I went with a little kids bike tire with no rubber. It looks great too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=ciniko link=topic=71484.msg1302675#msg1302675 date=1175315547]
[quote author=pkoko link=topic=71484.msg1258447#msg1258447 date=1173461805]

Good luck.
[/quote]

Hey i got a question. I've been told that if i buy 20s for my car the front tires everytime i turn its going to hit the front part or something like that. that i need to go with a very low profile tire. i dont know nothing about rims and wheels. my question is... is that true? or the guy didnt want to sell me the 20s because he kept trying to push me into buying some 18s.
[/quote]

Well in my Zephyr; I have 245/35/20 on 20x8.5 rim with lower eibach springs and I have no rubbing issues. Look at my photos for clearance info. I believe the confusion comes b/c the AWD models are lower than FWD version thus the confusion. If you have FWD; go buy my tire/rim combo with confidence.

EDIT: 225/35/20 would work as well. It is very similar to OEM tire hight and width. If anyone got AWD; I would use that size. Just make sure it will fit on you rim (Tire store will know).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts