FordFusionClub.com banner

181 - 200 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
My rear side markers do light up with the brakes. with the lights off they flash together, with the lights on they alternate.

·
Registered
187 Posts
[quote author=fhartell link=topic=53695.msg3566146#msg3566146 date=1268427540]
Anyone do the rear lamp?
[/quote]

Yes, on my Fusion i did the front and rear markers. the wiring should be on the post for i made for all 4 corners.

1 relay for each light and then one relay for the left side of the car signal and the other relay for the right side of the car signal. 6 relays total.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
[quote author=gotAWD link=topic=53695.msg2441554#msg2441554 date=1215303309]
Left turn signal switch:

pin 85= VIO/WHT from turn signal stalk
pin 86= ignition
pin 87a= NA
pin 87= ignition
pin 30= to pin 86 of front and rear left relays

Right turn signal switch:

pin 85= GRY/YEL from turn signal stalk
pin 86= ignition
pin 87a= NA
pin 87= ignition
pin 30= to pin 86 of front and rear right relays

[/quote]

gotAWD I have a question about your wiring here, these two relays do they send a steady signal, as in this is a pre-flasher can relay, or does this alternate its states along with the flasher can? I am looking to get the cars steady 13V signal sent to the front markers when the turn signal comes on, I know it sounds weird now but it will make sense when I am done with the mod.

·
Registered
552 Posts
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=53695.msg3593611#msg3593611 date=1270053446]
I have a question about your wiring here, these two relays do they send a steady signal, as in this is a pre-flasher can relay, or does this alternate its states along with the flasher can?
[/quote]The VIO/WHT and GRY/YEL are simply passing along the ground wire from the turn signal switch (multifunction switch) to the Smart Junction box. The color codes change after the SJB.

·
Registered
552 Posts
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=53695.msg3600816#msg3600816 date=1270495682]
Right, but will that send a square wave signal or will it send a steady state signal. That is my question. I need pure DC power, not a, AC wave signal.
[/quote]I'm not aware of anyone hooking up an oscilloscope to their car to find out if it's a square wave. Best I can offer you is the Ford official wiring diagram for that section :morning:

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Naw, not that fast of a square wave. :lol: Lemme try to rephrase. When the signal is activated do these wires send a preflasher or post flasher signal, so is the signal a solid 13.8VDC or is it the same signal that powers the front and back turn signals, the on-off-on-off signal. Hopefully that helps a little bit to understand how my scattered brain works.

PS: As a side note for anyone who is following my sidemarker mod, the circuit parts just came in today and I have been working all afternoon on it and it finally passed the initial testing on it. I have yet to do a prolonged usage test, a voltage retention test, and most importantly, the high voltage test (ramping the voltage to a steady 15V, the max rated voltage of the system) I need to find a way to do this first :lol: because I only have a DC signal generator that goes up to 9V, most likely I will get a 9V battery and hook it in series with a 4.5-5V feed. But I doubt anyone gives a shit about how I am gonna test it. :lol: I might sound anal about testing but once I mount the system to the protective case there is no going back, I am burying it in silicone to completely waterproof it.

ANYWAYS. To sum it up, I have a working circuit on my protoboard, (relay included) that is working perfectly, and its well on its way to being a completed circuit and being implemented on the car.

·
Registered
552 Posts
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=53695.msg3601115#msg3601115 date=1270506794]
Lemme try to rephrase. When the signal is activated do these wires send a preflasher or post flasher signal, so is the signal a solid 13.8VDC or is it the same signal that powers the front and back turn signals, the on-off-on-off signal.
[/quote]You can hook the side markers up one of two ways, which you noted (pre or post smart junction box). The way that's been used above is pre-SJB. The SJB is looking for a ground, NOT voltage, so the MFS is sending the SJB a ground. If you want post SJB then those are different color codes. I'll post the wiring diagram for you so it makes more sense. I am also working on mod, only mine will turn the side marker into 3 functions (side marker, cornering lamp, and flasher). Afterwards I'll modify it for the Fusion model.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A cornering lamp is a light that lights up where you're turning, so you can see where you're turning better. You usually only see this feature in higher end luxury cars. Below is the pre-SJB wiring diagram (2010 Milan/Fusion);

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
[quote author=gotAWD link=topic=53695.msg2441554#msg2441554 date=1215303309]
Left turn signal switch:

pin 85= VIO/WHT from turn signal stalk
pin 86= ignition
pin 87a= NA
pin 87= ignition
pin 30= to pin 86 of front and rear left relays

Right turn signal switch:

pin 85= GRY/YEL from turn signal stalk
pin 86= ignition
pin 87a= NA
pin 87= ignition
pin 30= to pin 86 of front and rear right relays

[/quote]

So basically in the quote I have above, the power from the ignition is just using the ground from the turn signal to switch the relay on, and it uses the ignition to supply power to the output (in this case at 30). Now correct me if I am wrong but I could just use a +12V line feed from anything correct? The fact that the SJB is looking for a 0V signal is just plain confusing to me for some reason.

·
Registered
552 Posts
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=53695.msg3601728#msg3601728 date=1270524557]
So basically in the quote I have above, the power from the ignition is just using the ground from the turn signal to switch the relay on, and it uses the ignition to supply power to the output (in this case at 30). Now correct me if I am wrong but I could just use a +12V line feed from anything correct?
[/quote]For 87 yes, but why would you want to make more work for yourself? 86 already has power going to it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just want to say that I did this exactly how it was discribed and it did not work. Maybe I have the only Fusion that cannot and will not have flashing side markers or my extreme bad luck but three ppl tried and of the three was an electricion, a gm machanic, and myself and we barely got the side marker back to work as a side marker. I know the directions are not difficult, but apparently there is one small step left out b/c it doesn't work and no it's not easy. I don't intend to try again.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
[quote author=Ford Chic link=topic=53695.msg3689436#msg3689436 date=1276047776]
I just want to say that I did this exactly how it was discribed and it did not work. Maybe I have the only Fusion that cannot and will not have flashing side markers or my extreme bad luck but three ppl tried and of the three was an electricion, a gm machanic, and myself and we barely got the side marker back to work as a side marker. I know the directions are not difficult, but apparently there is one small step left out b/c it doesn't work and no it's not easy. I don't intend to try again.
[/quote]

Welcome!

Sorry to hear that you didn't have any success with the mod, maybe check your bulbs, wiring, and setup one more time.

Many of us have had success with this mod and we are here to help as well if you'd like to walk us through what you did exactly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[quote author=Gravey link=topic=53695.msg3690111#msg3690111 date=1276095546]
[quote author=Ford Chic link=topic=53695.msg3689436#msg3689436 date=1276047776]
[/quote]

Welcome!

Sorry to hear that you didn't have any success with the mod, maybe check your bulbs, wiring, and setup one more time.

Many of us have had success with this mod and we are here to help as well if you'd like to walk us through what you did exactly.
[/quote]Ok so first I cut the black ground wire on the side marker and cut the yellow/black wire on the turn signal. I connected all four wires (b/c once I cut them I connected each end together) and it did nothing. Then my father in law tried the same thing and nothing happened. So then my fiance's sister's boyfriend looked at it and decided that the power wire or the gray/yellow wire from the side marker needed to be cut and wired to yellow/black wire and reconected the black/ground wire. this seemed to work but when the lights were on the turn signal flashed like a bulb was out. when the lights were off they flashed together perfectly but were not as bright as they should be. We had an led bulb in and then switched out with the stock bulb and still didn't do anything different. then I decided to put the power wire or the gray/yellow wire back together from the side marker and try to just connect the black ground wire just from the side marker bulb to the yellow/ black wire and still nothing. I don't know what i did wrong but as it sits now the black ground wire is still cut and we reconnected all other wires. I don't know that I'm gonna try it again but I would like to know where we went wrong.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
I think I know what you did wrong, when you cut the black side marker wire, the half of the wire that runs into the wiring harness is no longer used and you only splice the one end from the bulb into the yellow wire not all 4 connections just the 3, all 4 connections will cause all hell to break loose with the circuit, as you probably noticed. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=53695.msg3690674#msg3690674 date=1276119022]
I think I know what you did wrong, when you cut the black side marker wire, the half of the wire that runs into the wiring harness is no longer used and you only splice the one end from the bulb into the yellow wire not all 4 connections just the 3, all 4 connections will cause all hell to break loose with the circuit, as you probably noticed. Hope that helps :)
[/quote]
I tried that too. is it the yellow/black wire that I cut from the turn signal or the one that is just yellow? P.S. I'm only working on the passanger side right now. what ur telling me is what I was going to do to begin with untill everyone questioned me and i second guessed myself. lol

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Its the yellow/brown wire, I was just being lazy. :lol: But you had it correct before, you do not touch the power line to the side marker just the ground itself. So basically just attach the black from the side marker to the yellow/black wire. Another question is have you done any other modifications to the turn signal including replacing bulbs?

181 - 200 of 239 Posts