FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Around the September/October timeframe I decided to replace my 1995 Mercury Tracer wagon (1.9L I4). It was quickly approaching 178k miles and things were starting to fail, loosen, etc..., I got it as an off-lease used vehicle in October 1997 with about 36k miles on it and proceeded to go on an extended trip to Cooperstown, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal shortly after getting it. As you can see I did a bit of traveling over the last 8 years and while the Tracer was reliable I could see it was getting to the end. The last trip was in late October to Montreal, Quebec City, and Burlington, VT.

The car before the Tracer was a mid-size Chevy with a 2.8L V6 and I did not know if I would like a smaller car. It worked out great so I started to look at small sedans again for the good gas mileage. I do not need a wagon anymore but wanted the fold down seats for the occasional trips to Home Depot. My brother works at a Mercury dealership so it biases me toward Ford products. I was disappointed that the Tracer is no more and I was not enthused over the current Mercury offerings. I thought they only offered the 3.0L V6 in their vehicles. So I decided on a Ford Focus with a 2.0L I4.

It took about a month or so before my brother could go with me to look at a Focus. I got to sit in one and thought it was a nice car. The salesman suggested that I look at the Fusion as well. I felt the difference when I sat in the driver's seat in the Fusion. The seat was the most comfortable car seat I have tried even before I adjusted it. I also liked the look of the car. I felt it was unique without being way out. I only test drove the Fusion and checked to make sure the car could get out of it's own way getting on the highway. It handled good and seemed to accelerate up to highway speed at a good pace. I did notice the hesitation if you punch the accelerator but it did better when doing a normal press of the pedal.

So I bought a Dune colored Fusion SE with a 2.3L I4 engine, SE Sport package, and Charcoal interior. I figured that putting options in the Focus that I wanted would bring the price up into the Fusion's range. I did some research after I decided to buy it and even though it was dealer stock I decided that it was a good color and came with the options I wanted. I noticed most reviews online were for the SEL model.

I picked up my Fusion a few days ago and it has been good fun adjusting the car and adjusting to the car. I never bought a new car before so never had a briefing on the car's features and operation.

One thing that was on my wish list is a radio that supported RDS (also called RDBS). I thought it only came with the Audiophile option so I was surprised when the salesman showed it during the post-sales briefing. I also like the MP3 CD capability and test burnt a CD with my favorite shows. They archive past shows using low-bitrate MP3 that some players have trouble playing. It played fine and the display even went from a minute:second to a minute only display when the time got up there. These are 2 or 3 hour programs and sometimes MP3 players will "wrap around" because they were only designed for short songs or 1/2 hour programs.

I keep finding things I like about the car. I like the 6 way adjustment on the seat and the lumbar support. I did not try to see how far back the seat went during the test drive but did when I picked it up. I found the seat went back farther than the focus and fitted my big frame better. The radio has an aux input and I am looking at setting it up for my XM radio. I need to buy an adapter and thanks to this forum I have a clue. I like the storage area in the instrument panel and I may use it for my XM radio. I also find the DC powerpoint in the storage bin interesting and will likely use it for something. I am not to the stage yet where I feel comfortable modifying the car to add radios and electronics.

I was the first or one of the first Fusion buyers at this dealership and looking around I did not see very much about the Fusion other than test drives and models sold in the UK and India for a few years. So my inital impression was "Am I the only one that actual bought this car?". I generally do not consider buying anything that is just released. While using google to find radio information I came across this site and feel better because I know there is at least one other person in New England that has one.

I know this car is not perfect but it is a very good fit for what I want. I can picture myself being very comfortable driving eight to ten hours in the car. I am going to Kulpsville, PA in March and Dayton, OH in May so I can test it then. I will have a couple of months to figure out how to setup the car for travel.

73 Eric

·
Registered
377 Posts
Congrats. Theres nothing like having a new vehicle and be the first on your block or town with a new model car. I get lots of compliments with with my 06 Fusion. Congrats again. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

When I get a car I notice other cars of the same model. So far I have not noticed any other Fusions but instead have been noticing new vehicles. :) I hate to be unique but maybe in a few months I will be singing "I had a Fusion before Fusions were cool".

People at work like the looks of the car. When I went to the FastLane service center to switch over my transponder the guy behind the counter said he looked at a Fusion the other day and liked it.

I noticed the MP3 time only went up to 99 minutes and then rolled over to 00:00 and counted up minutes:seconds again. Not perfect but maybe too much to expect it handling very long shows.

It seems like new cars attract dirt. I got some microfiber cloth towels today. I filled up a spray bottle with just water and was removing spots. I was surprised at how much dirt was on the wheels. It looked okay but really shined after cleaning. It is going to be fun cleaning the outside of the car in winter. I just hope I do not get hyper when the first ding or dent occurs.

I also found out that the SE sport package on cars built after November 1st includes Fog Lamps. Mine was likely built in October as it is a I4 Automatic with the SE sport package with no Fog Lights.

73 Eric

·
Registered
261 Posts
it's not my first new car, but is the first one I really specifically wanted (price be damned this time)
and actually got a good deal, I love mine to death, I got mine at the end of January and I had one of the
very few out then, I loved that...so I am with you at saying " I had mine first". now it's just annoying with
all the people buying them, especially older people, who putt around in them, but I still have one of the first
made and on the road. I was going to be saddled with a Black SE, which I hate black cars, then I saw this
(new on the lot with plastic still everywhere covering everything) Redfire SEL, with those awesome 17" rims
and found out "Michelin" tires, first car with a brand name tire, other than (YAWN) Continental Contitracs,
if you can call them "Brand" name considering I never heard of them until I bought my "POS" Ranger in '03
(traded it's lemony flavored ass in on the Fusion here). I said to the guy " Me Want That One Instead" it was
$22k, and we got it as a lease, and I will buy it at the end assuming we have no problems with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts