FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's looking like you are lucky to get 20K miles out of a regularly rotated, properly inflated set of tires on these cars. I bought the car with 18K, put new tires on (badly needed) at 24K, November 2019- now have 40K on the car and I need to replace them again before the snow flies for sure. - I understand there are many factors for tire life but this thing is driven on decently paved roads with mostly highway miles. Furthermore, I know AWD vehicles tend to eat tires. Does anyone have any advice for a decent all-weather tire? Is anyone getting more miles out of tires on this model car? Thanks-

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
It's looking like you are lucky to get 20K miles out of a regularly rotated, properly inflated set of tires on these cars. I bought the car with 18K, put new tires on (badly needed) at 24K, November 2019- now have 40K on the car and I need to replace them again before the snow flies for sure. - I understand there are many factors for tire life but this thing is driven on decently paved roads with mostly highway miles. Furthermore, I know AWD vehicles tend to eat tires. Does anyone have any advice for a decent all-weather tire? Is anyone getting more miles out of tires on this model car? Thanks-
Hi Curtis. You do not mention what tires you installed. The tire make and model tire you install makes a huge difference in tire tread life. Also, what tire pressure do you keep them inflated to? How often do you have your alignment checked? How are they wearing out...Sooner on the shoulders...The middle of the tread...Evenly?

From personal experience, I can highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (or whatever the newest version is). I got over ~53,000 miles from the factory Michelin Energy tires that came on my 2007 MKZ. Replaced them with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and got ~54,000 miles from them. They were replaced with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+, which now have about ~10,000 miles on them. I have been very happy with them in the dry, wet, snow etc.

No all-season tire will compare to a dedicated snow tire, but they get me where I need to go in up to 4"-5" of New Jersey blizzard snow. More than that and i stay in.anyway, until the roads are plowed.

I am also happy with the factory Michelin MXM4's that came on my 2018 MKZ. Although I only have ~13,000 miles on them.

I am sure other members will with post more opinions.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..is the MKZ AWD?

Correct pressure as per tire markings, even wear, original tires were I think Continentals.. was really looking for recommendations of tires that under optimal conditions will last a while-

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
..is the MKZ AWD?

Correct pressure as per tire markings, even wear, original tires were I think Continentals.. was really looking for recommendations of tires that under optimal conditions will last a while-
Hi Curtis. First...the correct pressure as per what tire markings? The markings on the sidewall of the tire...or the Lincoln recommended tire pressure lsited on the Manufacturers door sill placard?
The markings on the tire sidewall are the maximum cold tire pressures, and would be severely over-inflating the tires. You need to inflate to the manufacturers recommendation on the Manufacturers door sill placard, not the tire sidewall.

Next...is 50,000+ miles not enough? That is the tread-wear I stated I received from the tires I recommended. I do drive my cars pretty easily (sanely), so that is also a factor.

Next: Again, how often do you have the alignment checked? And additionally, how often do you rotate the tires?

Concerning my cars: My 2007 is FWD. My 2018 is AWD. However, it does not matter whether the car is FWD or AWD. Unless you are driving the vehicle extremely hard, tire wear will be similar for both. In fact, if properly inflated, rotated etc., tire wear with an AWD vehicle will be more even, front to rear, than a FWD only car. This is because the work/wear of getting the car moving, keeping it moving, pulling it through turns etc,. is shared more evenly between the front and rear tires. And this is not an issue for properly maintained and rotated tires.

If treadwear is your only concern, I would recommend you go to The Tire Rack and use their "Tire Decision Guide". Input treadwear/tread life as your main/only concern, and they will recommend a tire that will give the longest/highest treadwear. Just be aware that generally speaking, the longer/higher the treadwear, the harder and noisier it will ride, and the poorer the handling etc. etc.

The Tire Rack: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html

Hope this information helps and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't actually put air in my own tires- I trust the guys who rotate them every 3000 miles to do that, and i have sensors in the rims for what they are worth- Still, I did not know that- I'll have to check the placard. On both Fusion cars (I have a 2wd 2010 & an AWD 2016) tires wear evenly, not as though over or under-inflated- 50K would be amazing from a set of tires- Alignment is checked every rotation/oil change. I'll give the Michelin Pilot Sport tires a look- Thanks!

-Curtis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...I just looked at the Michelin tires- Way more expensive than what I bought last time- Double in fact- so worth it as opposed to getting half the miles and having to pay for changing etc. twice- I'll give them a whirl! Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
I don't actually put air in my own tires- I trust the guys who rotate them every 3000 miles to do that, and i have sensors in the rims for what they are worth- Still, I did not know that- I'll have to check the placard. On both Fusion cars (I have a 2wd 2010 & an AWD 2016) tires wear evenly, not as though over or under-inflated- 50K would be amazing from a set of tires- Alignment is checked every rotation/oil change. I'll give the Michelin Pilot Sport tires a look- Thanks!

-Curtis
Hi Curtis. Okay, it is no wonder your tires wear out so quickly. There are several things to point out here: First...not periodically checking your tires is a major mistake. You can not simply trust the guys who rotate your tires and the sensors. Tires lose air over time (like a balloon, but slower). So even if your "guys" get it right, your tires will likely be slightly underinflated a month or two later, and definitely underinflated by the time you get to your next tire rotation. That alone is causing you excessive tire wear.

Second...air expands and contracts with temperature fluctuations. So tires will lose/gain ~1 psi per every 10°F fall/rise in air temperature, with driving, etc. etc. So if your tires are inflated correctly in the summer when it is 90°, they are at least 6 pounds underinflated in the winter when it is 30°. And that is not even taking normal air loss into account.

Third...Ford clearly states right in your Owners Manual not to use the TPMS system as a tire gauge. It is not as accurate as a tire gauge and will not give a low pressure warning until the tire pressure is 20%-25% below the manufacturers recommended pressure (listed on the door sill placard). Get yourself a good quality tire pressure gauge (see further below).

Fourth...unless you drive on very terrible roads (or in your particular case, only drive 3,000 miles a year), you only need to have your alignment checked once a year. Best time is usually in the late spring, when the winter damaged roads you may drive have hopefully been repaired.

Fifth...take $15-$20 of the money you save on less alignments, buy yourself a good quality tire pressure gauge, and check your tire pressures once a month. What you save on fewer alignments and longer tire life will more than make up for the 5 minutes a month it will take you to do it.

If you want better life from your tires, you will need to begin taking better care of them.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Embarrassingly, I am not in good enough health to check my tire pressure.. or let's say if I'm going to have another heart attack I'd rather have it exerting myself in a more enjoyable way- I think I'll get out the gauge (I have a good one) and keep it in the car and get the kids or grandkids etc. to do it. Good advice. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
Embarrassingly, I am not in good enough health to check my tire pressure.. or let's say if I'm going to have another heart attack I'd rather have it exerting myself in a more enjoyable way- I think I'll get out the gauge (I have a good one) and keep it in the car and get the kids or grandkids etc. to do it. Good advice. Thanks!
Hi Curtis. I am very sorry to hear about your ill health.

Well, I do like your idea about making the grandkids earn their keep though...and teaching them a little about proper car maintenance on the side.

Feel better and good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts