FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are 1 million posts about exhaust on here so forgive me. I HATE the stock dual tips on my SEL I4. Can anyone think of a way I can modify this (Without major work like a new muffler or exhaust. I dont mind if it's dual tips. I just hate the way the stock ones look. Need to be chrome or something. I know they sell the ones you screw over the old ones but i dont think that will work?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Sure it will work. A catback is next on my list, but in the meantime, I went to Auto Zone and bought two cheap tips that screwed over the stock tips. They were 7.50 each. It looks nice and worked great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=mrc link=topic=78777.msg1441764#msg1441764 date=1180343765]
Sure it will work. A catback is next on my list, but in the meantime, I went to Auto Zone and bought two cheap tips that screwed over the stock tips. They were 7.50 each. It looks nice and worked great.
[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply MRC. How did you do it? Did you have to trim the stock up or anything? Did they stick out far? I was thinking that the stock ones were to close together to add some of the screw on ones. Anyway, i want to put them on this week as i'm going on a trip for a wedding. I want the car to look good. Ya know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
No, man. Not at all...it took one minute to do. No mod necessary. Just slide it over and tighten the screws. In fact, I'm going to Auto Zone today. I'll get you the part number.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jaysen please do. I will appreciate it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those $7 ones will rust pretty fast. My dad went through a couple of sets on his Fusion. I got him a couple of Magnaflow stainless steel tips (part number 35131 3" diameter, 2.25 inlet diameter, 7" long -$20 each) and had them welded on at a muffler shop. They had to make a couple of small flared pieces to join the tip with the pipes coming out of the muffler. They also cut off most of the pipes coming out of the muffler. I think they look pretty sweet.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Thoes do look pretty good! I just threw thoes on for a temp solution for how ugly the stocker looks under there. I might go ahead and pick up some of those that you have there! Looks sweet!

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Magnaflow tips looks great! Here is the route I took. Polished stainless steel, oval clamp-on. $15 for both.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick help!!!! I just bought a set of tips. Do i want to drive the screws all the way through the old tips or just but it up against the old tips?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I posted some pics in the gallery of my tips. Do you guys think they stick out too far? I really cant decide. Also, still wondering about screwing them in. Let me know what you think. Also, I couldnt figure out how to post the pics in here. They were too big. how do I shrink a picture size.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I never thought of driving the screws through the stock tailpipes. I think you would strip out the tip before you penetrated the stock pipe. Since your tips are straight cut, rotate the tips so that the upper screw is hidden under the bumper and the lower screw is parallel to the ground, that way, you don't see the lower screw from the side of the car.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=RedFireSEL link=topic=78777.msg1450489#msg1450489 date=1180633568]
I never thought of driving the screws through the stock tailpipes. I think you would strip out the tip before you penetrated the stock pipe. Since your tips are straight cut, rotate the tips so that the upper screw is hidden under the bumper and the lower screw is parallel to the ground, that way, you don't see the lower screw from the side of the car.
[/quote]

here is the orig ones i did and they screwed into the stock tips. had 2 self tapping screw that held each tip in place. worked well until i got the new muffler which looks (IMO) a lot better than the twin tips

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had an Explorer and put on some cheap screw-on covers, about $10.00CDN each. They lasted me for about 2.5 yrs before they started to rust, though I always added a coat of polish to them whenever I washed it.

whoa Slater...that looks nice!!! What kind of exhaust is that? How does it sound? Please tell me it doesn't sound like a ricer ;)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=Sciborg link=topic=78777.msg2183219#msg2183219 date=1206552849]
I had an Explorer and put on some cheap screw-on covers, about $10.00CDN each. They lasted me for about 2.5 yrs before they started to rust, though I always added a coat of polish to them whenever I washed it.

whoa Slater...that looks nice!!! What kind of exhaust is that? How does it sound? Please tell me it doesn't sound like a ricer ;)

[/quote]

It does not sound ricey at all that is why i like it. Here is a you tube clip. also it is just a univ muffler from e-bay. if you go out there and type in oval muffler or oval tip it will bring them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suDH4Aex9_g

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.