FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've looked thru the forum for engine swaps for ford fusion but wasn't able to get the answer I'm looking for so that being said I have a 2013 ford fusion se 2.5L I4 engine and it came across my mind that maybe it'd be cheaper to swap the engine instead of buying a new car. Now I understand my engine is 2nd gen and any engine from 2013+ should have no problem fitting into the bay. My question is what changes would I need to make if I was to install either the 1.5L or 2.0L engine? Also, what other types of engines are similar to the 2nd gen duratec engine if I wanted an engine from a different car make?

The type of engine I would like is i4 with turbo or V6 but I have a feeling a V6 may not fit without making adjustments to the bay.

·
Administrator
6,077 Posts
Hi, I've looked thru the forum for engine swaps for ford fusion but wasn't able to get the answer I'm looking for so that being said I have a 2013 ford fusion se 2.5L I4 engine and it came across my mind that maybe it'd be cheaper to swap the engine instead of buying a new car. Now I understand my engine is 2nd gen and any engine from 2013+ should have no problem fitting into the bay. My question is what changes would I need to make if I was to install either the 1.5L or 2.0L engine? Also, what other types of engines are similar to the 2nd gen duratec engine if I wanted an engine from a different car make?

The type of engine I would like is i4 with turbo or V6 but I have a feeling a V6 may not fit without making adjustments to the bay.
Hi sleeps and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. To start: If we throw enough time, money, sweat and cursing at it, we can install any engine from any manufacturer that will fit. However in any realistic world sense, you are limited to 2013+ Fusion engines. And out of those, the 1.5L and 2.0L EcoBoosts. So forget about engines from a different car make.

Now, it makes a difference as to whether you are asking about this because your Fusion needs a new engine, or because you want more power/a different engine? If you need a new engine, the best thing to do would be to find/purchase and install the same engine. Finding a good alternate Fusion engine and installing it will be a headache and costly (suitable engine, peripherals, programming etc.), unless you can find a used one and do a lot of the installation work yourself.

If you are doing this just because you want more power, and have another car so you can make your Fusion a project car, that is fine. However, if you need this car and want to save yourself a lot of headaches, buy another car.

If you still want to go forward with this, you can install the 1.5L EcoBoost, or the 2.0L EcoBoost, as mentioned above. There was a 2.7L V-6 EcoBoost in 2017.2019 Fusion Sport, but that would mean a lot more modifications, including an entirely new transmission.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi sleeps and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. To start: If we throw enough time, money, sweat and cursing at it, we can install any engine from any manufacturer that will fit. However in any realistic world sense, you are limited to 2013+ Fusion engines. And out of those, the 1.5L and 2.0L EcoBoosts. So forget about engines from a different car make.

Now, it makes a difference as to whether you are asking about this because your Fusion needs a new engine, or because you want more power/a different engine? If you need a new engine, the best thing to do would be to find/purchase and install the same engine. Finding a good alternate Fusion engine and installing it will be a headache and costly (suitable engine, peripherals, programming etc.), unless you can find a used one and do a lot of the installation work yourself.

If you are doing this just because you want more power, and have another car so you can make your Fusion a project car, that is fine. However, if you need this car and want to save yourself a lot of headaches, buy another car.

If you still want to go forward with this, you can install the 1.5L EcoBoost, or the 2.0L EcoBoost, as mentioned above. There was a 2.7L V-6 EcoBoost in 2017.2019 Fusion Sport, but that would mean a lot more modifications, including an entirely new transmission.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Thank you for your honest and detailed answer. This is my only car at the moment. I was thinking a new car but not to replace this one but due to having a job doing food deliveries I thought about making my current for deliveries only and my new car would be for everything else. Currently, I have about 173k miles on the engine and I was gonna wait 2 years before I purchase a new car.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
149 Posts
For a car you are going to be heaping on the miles, the 2.5 can't be beat, by far the one you want out of the available engines. A good friend does Uber/LIFT/Uber Eats and he wears out cars and still owes on them.

Trying to pull off an engine swap to a non as built engine is a recipe for disappointment, there are quite a few differences, and you would be going away from the one thing the 2.5 is good for, longevity. Hopefully you can get your use out of it in the next 2 years and it keeps being reliable and not a money sink, then look for something with a little more HP or whatever you are after. Maybe by then the used market will cool off, and some of the last year Fusions will be around your price point, and not too worn out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts