FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New to the forum. Had a question about engine RPM.

I am really interested in purchasing a 2007 Fusion SE I4 2.3L w/the 5-speed manual transmission. I have test driven this car twice now with the same result. When I am crusing at 110kph (68mph) in 5th the engine is turning 3000rpm. This is on a flat stretch of road with no hills and no wind either direction. It sounds like the engine is working hard. Is this normal on the Fusion with this engine/transmission combination?
I think I would have made a deal on this car today, but the rpm issue has me concerned. I feel at that high of rpm the fuel mileage will be lousy. Feels like there is an overdive button that is off or I need a 6th gear to shift into. I realize that it is only a 4 cylinder in a mid sized car, but would feel more comfortable if the rpm was down around 2400-2600 at 110 in 5th.

When I brought this issue up to the people at the dealership I had several answers.
The salesman told me he wasn't sure and would get a second opinion.
A different salesman said that this was normal.
The Finance manager said it was due to the front wheel drive, car size and axle ratio (makes some sense)
The General manager said it sounded like I was in 4th gear. I thought that may have been the problem after the first test drive, but after the second test drive I verified this was in 5th gear. He said he would contact Ford to find out as he agreed it did sound high for rpm in that gear.

So, is this normal to be at 3000rpm @ 110kph in 5th gear on this Fusion?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2007 Fusion with the same drivetrain. At 70 mph my RPM was also at 3000 in 5th gear. After acouple thousand miles of break in, the engine has loosened up abit and I'm running at 70 mph at about 2900 rpm now. A friend also has the same setup with the same speed/rpm readings so I'd say this is normal. Personally, I'd like to see a 6th gear in the tranny, but we'll have to live with the way it is

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
It is normal. Its to keep the motor in the powerband. Its fine, and gets the mileage that is posted on the sticker when you buy the car. It shouldn't be a problem, its just the way the car was engineered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi all, just to expand on this i test drove 3 fusions yesterday. here's where i found the RPMs..

I4 5sp manual:
3200 rpm @ 75mph
4000 rpm @ 90
6500 redline

I4 5sp auto:
3k @ 88
3.5 @ 100

V6 6sp auto:
3k @ 95

i too thought the manual was extrememly loud. right now i'm thinking the I4 auto would be best. good power, and lots and lots of room under the hood hopfully will make maintenance easier.

·
Registered
71 Posts
" It sounds like the engine is working hard. Is this normal on the Fusion with this engine/transmission combination? "

It is not necessarily working hard. It is just revving high.

·
Registered
19 Posts
[quote author=pb link=topic=77359.msg1480303#msg1480303 date=1181654915]
Good power, and lots and lots of room under the hood hopefully will make maintenance easier.
[/quote]

Maintenance on this car is a easy with one exception - the canister oil filter. That design is ridiculous, a step back into the 1940s, inconvenient and messy when compared to the spin-on oil filters I've been using since the 1960s. Shame on Ford and Mazda for incorporating this design in such a winner of a car.

The only other owner maintenance I can see is 4 spark plugs, the air filter, and topping off fluids - all very easy to do. Brake pad changes should be easy, unless they've done something stupid there also, but I have not seen anything on the forums.

T

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The cartridge oil filter change is real easy. Having just done my first oil change (first two were done by the dealer) I will tell you that there is no need for me to wait around for an hour again. I can do one on this car in ten minutes. Everything is right in front and easily accessible. I don't know why people seem to be scared of the cartridge.

·
Registered
391 Posts
with the wind resistance at higher speeds and torque curve of the engine you don't want anything lower than 3000 rpm

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi f66,

I have the same engine in my Mazda 3 and like a previous post mentioned, the engine is in the best powerband range around 3k and downshifting becomes an option rather than a necessity on the highway. The Fusion has fairly good sound proofing and during your test drive, I'm guessing that you were not in your normal routine ie radio on, A/C on etc. I would suggest sticking with the manual tranny because it saves a bit more on gas, and will add some fun to the driving experience. Unfortunately the auto doesn't have a manumatic\tiptronic feature so for me, sometimes driving gets a bit boring as my last car was a manual which I drove for 16years.

Good luck with the deal!

·
Registered
702 Posts
[quote author=Fusion4u link=topic=77359.msg1552704#msg1552704 date=1184257861]
Hi f66,

I have the same engine in my Mazda 3 and like a previous post mentioned, the engine is in the best powerband range around 3k and downshifting becomes an option rather than a necessity on the highway. The Fusion has fairly good sound proofing and during your test drive, I'm guessing that you were not in your normal routine ie radio on, A/C on etc. I would suggest sticking with the manual tranny because it saves a bit more on gas, and will add some fun to the driving experience. Unfortunately the auto doesn't have a manumatic\tiptronic feature so for me, sometimes driving gets a bit boring as my last car was a manual which I drove for 16years.

Good luck with the deal!
[/quote]

Actually, in the fusion the auto i4 gets about 3-4% better fuel economy because the gearing and shit. BUT fun factor, Yea go with the manual. I did just make a 400 miles round drip drive to and from camping in the mountains with about half of it in the mountains and I averaged about 31MPG using the fuel method, 32 on the computer. I love how this car handles!! It was so much fun taking 25mph turns at 40-45 plus! The engine did like to stay about 3k-3.5k most of the time uphill and the auto tranny selected the gears quite well to my surprise! I still have to say for the money, even if my car was totaled tomorrow I would go out and buy another fusion, but an '08 with the appearance package with 18s!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts