FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 3.0 V6 with 34,000 miles, and the engine has started pinging when accelerating. This happened several months ago, and I switched brands of gasoline and it quit. Now it is back again. I have put nothing but BP 87 octane in it for 6 months now, and used Shell before that. Will some kind of tune up under warranty cure this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Never had this problem with my '06 Fusion, but the ONE time I filled up my '01 Sport Trac at BP; it started pinging. Never went back there and never had that problem again.

I can't get too technical on this, because I just don't know; but I believe BP uses a lot of alternatives in their fuels. Maybe it works great for some engine and not so good for others.

You should stick to 87 as it is what the manual says (and there's plenty of other posts saying the same about octane ratings). Maybe a change of fuel brand once in a while can do the trick.

Long stretch since you only have 34k on it, but check your oil too; for some reason you might have a small leak and low oil level could do that.

·
Registered
613 Posts
"Will some kind of tuneup fix this?" Kind of yes, but you do want to find a good gas station to go to. BP gets its gas from different refineries and different local laws approve different additives. So its not necessarily BP that causes this problem.
Hmmm 34k, have you changed your air filter yet? Take a look at it, as some blends detonate poorly with higher counts of carbon. Which could very well be the case with other gas station's source fuel as well. While the Air Filter may not be the problem, its just my first suspicion based on the mileage you're at. If there is an elevated problem and it persists with other 87s that you use, you may need to troubleshoot the ignition for optimal timing and make sure the fuel delivery is spot on.
Also you may want to look into any TSB that might cover a free ECM flash to help you in the long run by updating any timing issues. You can find the Technical Service Bulletins listed under this forum here http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?board=1019.0 and I have the PDFs on my site thanks to cisco if you have trouble DLing any of them.
If you want to use additives, I recommend anything with 2/2/4 trimethylpentane as the primary product for raising the octane slightly. Nothing to fancy, just a mild increase should calm your combustion woes.
Good luck, and let us know if you found a fix, or just decided to use a different gas station.

Also, I'm not trying to talk down to you Randy. I just thought this might be useful for others who find this post with your problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No offense taken. It has mysteriously stopped today. I am still on the same tank of gas as yesterday. The dealer supposedly checked the air filter at 30,000 and said it was still fine, but I will take a look myself--probably time to replace it. I previously complained about high idle at cold start-up and less than ideal downshifts. The dealer service dept. would not do the reflash unless they can duplicate the problem. These things are only sporadic as well.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Really lame how all these dealers refuse to do the flashes. As for gas I would think BP would work great in the fusion since the gas cap has the BP logo on it. Personally though I've always used chevron, pricey but good stuff.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Otaku - I second that. Chevron gas I believe is the most major reason why I was able to put >250,000 miles on two F150's (that I purchased at 100+ thousand miles). At least every OTHER tank I will fill up using Chevron or Texaco (that now has the Techron additive). I believe that Techron is really the ONLY additive that's been proven to REALLY reduce engine sludge, but I can't say that for sure. Either way, good stuff. I will drive 20+ miles out of my way to find a Chevron station.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts