FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guy's have a engine knocking noise at idle? I went to my dealer and they told me that it's normal. I've read about ticking noise and I am not sure if is the same thing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you get some bad gas, it might make it knock a bit. How long has it been doing this?

·
Registered
325 Posts
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=70012.msg1218932#msg1218932 date=1171999673]
Do any of you guy's have a engine knocking noise at idle? I went to my dealer and they told me that it's normal. I've read about ticking noise and I am not sure if is the same thing.
[/quote]

My I4, like every other 4 cylinder that I has made a ticking noise from the valves at idle.

Sounds normal if you have an I4, I can't speak for the v6 though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes. I have a definite knocking noise at idle on my I4. It is faint, but audible, only at idle with radio off and it is not valve noise or injector clack. It is NOT correlated with engine speed, that is, if I slightly rev the engine in neutral the knock does NOT increase in frequency. It does not always occur at every idle. I suspect an emissions-related solenoid, somewhere. If winter ever goes away here in WNY I will find it.

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
[quote author=douglas307 link=topic=70012.msg1218932#msg1218932 date=1171999673]
[/quote]

Hi douglas307. It's always hard to diagnose over the Internet, because one persons definition of a "knocking" or "ticking" sound is different than another. However, while some faint "ticking" can be considered "normal" in some engines, what I would define as a "knocking noise" is not.

I would think about stopping at another Dealer and asking their opinion. Or, do you have a mechanic that you trust, who could listen and give their opinion?

I hope it's nothing, and good luck! :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
What trans? (or did I miss that info?)

My smoked manual had a dowel pin on the flywheel come loose and knock about 10,000 pits inside the bell housing before going through the case.

·
Registered
264 Posts
On the v6's the most common "ticking" noise comes from the exhaust camshaft driven water pump. It's not necessary to have it fixed it's not harming anything, but there is a service procedure for it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have the I-4 and I have alittle tcking at idle. I think it is normal for the 4 bangers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts