FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i really wanna clean my engine out since i haven't done it since i've purchased the car. Basically, i'm looking for suggestions on how to do it. I've never really done it before, and i don't wanna just shoot a water hose in there with degreaser on the engine.

so yeah, if anyone could give me some valid info, that'd be awesome!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=benit0 link=topic=85351.msg1613553#msg1613553 date=1186330775]
So, i really wanna clean my engine out since i haven't done it since i've purchased the car. Basically, i'm looking for suggestions on how to do it. I've never really done it before, and i don't wanna just shoot a water hose in there with degreaser on the engine.

so yeah, if anyone could give me some valid info, that'd be awesome!
[/quote]

I used my Mr. Clean auto dry yesterday and it work well.

·
Registered
933 Posts
How dirty is it? I'd never run a hose in there -- but that's just me. I never let mine get too dirty. Thus, I wipe it down with an All Purpose Cleaner. Once clean, I spray Stoner Trim Shine on all the plastic and rubber parts. Trim Shine is great -- just spray and walk away. It leaves a nice, clean, satin finish.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Engine Compartment 101:Engine needs to be warm but turned off--don't leave running.
1. Buy degreaser--simple green or etc. Mix 50/50 or less in spray bottle. Depending on dirt.
2. Go to car wash where you have a pressure washer---ABSOLUTELY NO STEAM
3. Wet fenders, hood, entire front end with water--you don't want the degreaser to streak or ruin paint.
4. Spray engine first with water-then spray degreaser on engine and let it sit for a few minutes.
5. Rinse off engine and repeat as needed--continue to spray off car to get soap off of fenders.
6. Try your best to avoid major electrical components--can't always be avoided
7. Start car--engine will dry on its own-give it a little time--if it runs rough that is because of condensation--this
will usually correct itself as the engine heats up and the moisture drys.
8. If you use a dressing--be sure to use one that is not greasy. Mechanics despise "armor alled" engines--plus
the fact that every piece of dirt will stick to it if you use such.---go with something not greasy
9. During this process it is important to not let the degreaser dry on your fenders, bumpers and etc. Keep them
continually rinsed so you don't have to polish or worse, paint your car. Hope this helps you a bit.
Halo,
Car Clean Center
Chattanooga, Tn

·
Registered
399 Posts
I sadly was a Detailer at a Chevy dealership a few years back and I can tell you that using a power washer on an engine is pure danger. I cant even tell you how many cars after having there engines power washed ran hard, developed squeaky belts, and sometimes stalled out after running for awhile. Even if you stay away from all connectors and such, the pressure from the water stream can get inbetween most fittings and gaskets. Your better off just using degreaser and a slow light stream from a garden hose. You will get almost the same results. Halorealm not bashing you, just know from expierence.

P.S I did say a Chevy dealership... so that might be why, lol GO FORD! 8)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
[quote author=Tweek link=topic=85351.msg1684245#msg1684245 date=1188694456]
I sadly was a Detailer at a Chevy dealership a few years back and I can tell you that using a power washer on an engine is pure danger. I cant even tell you how many cars after having there engines power washed ran hard, developed squeaky belts, and sometimes stalled out after running for awhile. Even if you stay away from all connectors and such, the pressure from the water stream can get inbetween most fittings and gaskets. Your better off just using degreaser and a slow light stream from a garden hose. You will get almost the same results. Halorealm not bashing you, just know from expierence.

P.S I did say a Chevy dealership... so that might be why, lol GO FORD! 8)
[/quote]
Hey Tweek :wavey:
Everything you said is absolutely CORRECT! I would assume that the engine is only dusty and the g-hose will be fine. Unfortunately most of the cars we see have never had the hood opened much less cleaned and there is no alternative. The g-hose will work but it needs to be a ritual for the car enthusiast. If you wait too long...well,you have seen it too. :cheers:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Halorealm I have to agree as well, remembering back there were a few engine bays that required a little bit extra.... :hyper:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts