FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=Metallicat link=topic=78584.msg1437966#msg1437966 date=1180128984]
Pretty interesting to say the least.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

[/quote]
It sure was. Just wish I'd come across it BEFORE we bought our Fusion.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm with him on changing you oil early, because i've rebuilt a few engines and I can tell you that there is a lot of crap in there you don't want in there for long. While pushing the engine during break-in to seat the rings is entirely true, I can't help but notice that some of it might be complete BS.
Here's my reason for saying this, and I quote from the lower 1/4 of his webpage:

"What are some of the other common myths about engines ??
Here are some popular engine tuning concepts in which the truth is
quite the opposite of what is commonly thought:

-Intake Porting !! Smaller Intake Ports Gain 7 % More Power !!

- Bigger Ports

- Polishing The Ports

- Ignition Advancers

- Flatslide Carburetors

- Fuel Injection Tuning

- Cam Timing

- Jetting"

ANY racer would disagree with some or all of that. This makes the guy that wrote this sound like a complete dumb-ass!
All the engines that I rebuilt I would put the tranny in a gear that I could run 35-55 full throttle in while staying AT LEAST 500-1000 away from redline and would run it 3-4 times like that on an open country road. I didn't do this on one engine because it was in a machine that it couldn't be done in.

One more thought that is in this guys favor. Diesels, they are built to run full throttle from their first start-up and they last for freakin' ever.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good read. I agree completely and have seen good results first hand. I have always heard that a soft pedal break in didnt help anything because if you baby it for a thousand miles, any weakness will be exposed when you romp on it the first time. Not good if you see a Greyhound bearing down on you at the last second.

I have never let a new engine break in the "right" way because I have a lead foot. All of the new or rebuilt engines I have ever owned were broken in the hard way. Particularly my 2000 XL800 Waverunner and my old rebuilt 429 Galaxie. Both I rode hard and raced like a mad man from the first start up. I still own the Waverunner. The 429 had it REALLY rough and still ran like a top the day I sold it. I have lots of stories about stupid mistakes in that car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our owners manual actually says to vary engine speeds. It does not says anything about taking it easy or do not rev it past certain point. I have been varying my engine speed quite a bit and did my first oil change at 500 Miles (Dealer said it was not necessary, but I had them do it anyways. Service I tell you). The second will come at 1000 miles. Should I go to synthetic at 1000 or wait for the third oil change?

Alex

·
Registered
44 Posts
[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=78584.msg1438184#msg1438184 date=1180137456]
I'm with him on changing you oil early, because i've rebuilt a few engines and I can tell you that there is a lot of crap in there you don't want in there for long. While pushing the engine during break-in to seat the rings is entirely true, I can't help but notice that some of it might be complete BS.
Here's my reason for saying this, and I quote from the lower 1/4 of his webpage:

- Bigger Ports

- Polishing The Ports

- Ignition Advancers

- Flatslide Carburetors

- Fuel Injection Tuning

- Cam Timing

- Jetting"

ANY racer would disagree with some or all of that. This makes the guy that wrote this sound like a complete dumb-ass!
All the engines that I rebuilt I would put the tranny in a gear that I could run 35-55 full throttle in while staying AT LEAST 500-1000 away from redline and would run it 3-4 times like that on an open country road. I didn't do this on one engine because it was in a machine that it couldn't be done in.

One more thought that is in this guys favor. Diesels, they are built to run full throttle from their first start-up and they last for freakin' ever.
[/quote]

Actually in motorcycles and cars some of that is true. There are guys running smaller ports that have been worked for a better more direct flow. Bigger is not always better. I know this through bench flowing and actual engine data.

Alex

·
Registered
702 Posts
[quote author=AgonxOC link=topic=78584.msg1461246#msg1461246 date=1181009431]
[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=78584.msg1438184#msg1438184 date=1180137456]

- Bigger Ports

- Polishing The Ports

- Ignition Advancers

- Flatslide Carburetors

- Fuel Injection Tuning

- Cam Timing

- Jetting"

[/quote]

Actually in motorcycles and cars some of that is true. There are guys running smaller ports that have been worked for a better more direct flow. Bigger is not always better. I know this through bench flowing and actual engine data.

Alex
[/quote]

Depends on port design and specific engine. I wouldn't know about the side carbs. I agree more isn't always better, but it depends on the application.
[quote author=AgonxOC link=topic=78584.msg1461232#msg1461232 date=1181009190]
Our owners manual actually says to vary engine speeds. It does not says anything about taking it easy or do not rev it past certain point. I have been varying my engine speed quite a bit and did my first oil change at 500 Miles (Dealer said it was not necessary, but I had them do it anyways. Service I tell you). The second will come at 1000 miles. Should I go to synthetic at 1000 or wait for the third oil change?

Alex
[/quote]

I changed to synthetic at 5k miles, but kinda wished I had waited until 10k because so many people have been saying how the engine doesn't fully break in until around then or later I can't help but thing my engine might have benefited from waiting longer. Oh well.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yeah Ive heard you really don't need to break in any more but I still did to some extent. I changed the oil at about 1500 instead of 3000+ and also varied my speeds driving as hard as I could my uncle is a mechanic and his motto is drive it like you plan to while you own it. Also he says drive it like you stole it :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.