FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i see a plug in my engine bay, thats a block heater right? how do you use these things... my car sounds very unhappy last 2 days starting in -10 degree weather, thinking of plugging that thing in.

·
Registered
476 Posts
get a contractor grade (the orange one) extension cord and plug it in before you go to bed.

I never had one but my mom's SVT Foucus had one and in the 3 years she had the car she never once used it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yup. Mine came with the block heater standard as well. I have mine plugged in to a timer so it turns on a few hours before I get going in the morning. I ended up having to pull some clips out an reroute the wiring because the hood would not close. Opening and closing the hood all the time got real annoying. Now the hookup sits by the headlight and the hood closes, yay. It works pretty well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have the 2.3 and one day when it was about -5 C it sounded like a diesel, so then i pluged it in after that when it was real cool. You can also get a timer so u just plug it in when u get home and set it to run a hour or two before u jump in it again. I found an easier way to solve this problem. GET SYNTHETIC. -19 C, the battery sounded tired, but other than that it ran as smooth as it always did.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My SEL was traded from a dealer in MN, so it has the block heater. I have it on my Christmas light timer to come on at 4am. -4F in Detroit tonight. Just did a nice mountain bike ride at -7F wind chill. This weather rocks!Seriously. :twisted:

·
Registered
484 Posts
bike riding at -7 you are nuts. :shock:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mtl1977,
Glad to see a fellow cyclist on here. I had my studded tires on my single speed today. That was fun.
BTW, how did you get your hood to close with the block heater cable running out there? Looks like where mine should have ran out from the stock location but the damn thing wouldn't shut.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Eastern Canada, and we have been getting temperatures between -30*C and -10*C so I'm assuming thats around -5*F to about 15*F........I hanv't been using my block heater, but I do start my car and let it warm up for 5 -10min before I drive....is this damaging to the car at all? Should I be using my block heater? or does it not really matter as long as I warm it up....?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I do start my car and let it warm up for 5 -10min before I drive....is this damaging to the car at all?

Idling for 5-10 minutes will cut your gas mileage but shouldn't hurt the engine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
"Glad to see a fellow cyclist on here. I had my studded tires on my single speed today. That was fun.
BTW, how did you get your hood to close with the block heater cable running out there? Looks like where mine should have ran out from the stock location but the damn thing wouldn't shut."

Yeah, SS's rock...http://www.mlav.us/mikesrides/
My hood closed no problem. I just leave the plug hanging out and plug the extension cord into it when I get home from work. The timer does the rest.

"but I do start my car and let it warm up for 5 -10min before I drive....is this damaging to the car at all?"

I let mine warm up for a new nanoseconds. As soon as the engine fires, I'm letting out the clutch. I wouldn't bounce the engine off the rev limiter on a cold start, but the quickest way to get heat and avoid wasting gas is to get in and drive it. With the manual trans, I take the revs up a bit higher in each gear to get the engine warmed up quicker.

·
Registered
465 Posts
ok I have a question where on earth would I find this engine block heater if I even have one my car came from the lakes region I would assume that I do. I am also curious that even on the cool mornings... 30F my car warms up so fast now its rediculas by the end of my street i'm gettin warmth... no other car I own does that... takes 5-10 minutes haha....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts