FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fatabbot and I installed my Eibachs today. :D :D :D Showed up after having about 4 hours of sleep and was worried that I was going to make a fatal mistake and put a spring through my skull. Didn't get around to his, which I feel terribly about, but we have scheduled a time to take care of his awesome looking Milan Premier. Started the install. First one was the learning curve - very careful making sure not to shoot a spring through his garage, electrical panel, my car, down the street, into the neighbor's house, etc.

First side we tackled was on the side that I had recently rebuilt, and the body shop was torque happy with that side. However, I was slightly concerned because when I moved around to the Driver side, there were two bolts that were less than torqued to spec...one that I could almost turn with my fingers..............we fixed that :)

Jacked front of car up and removed wheels - done
Brake line screw - done
Upper strut to wishbone - done
C-arm screw - done
Lower Wishbone apparatus screw - done
upper 3 bolts in the engine compartment - done

The shock/strut combo slid out with relative ease. We made sure to mark the location of the top and where it interfaces with the coil plastic below. The next part is where we learned a lesson, but it just made the other side 99.9 percent easier.

When putting the compressors on the stock spring, we initially thought that compressing the entire spring was the answer - later we found out that compressing the middle half and taking the tension off the ends was easier. Not only that, but facing the torque bolts from the compressors AWAY from the 3-bolt head that connects at the top made it much easier to get a compressor-driven torque wrench in there. The trickiest part is the center screw. If the springs aren't compressed enough, that screw will spin the top of the apparatus around and won't let it go - which is actually very good. As soon as that top nut came off, it was all about compressing the Eibach and reversing the order above.

The rear was a little more unnerving - but much easier.

Jacked rear of car up, removed C-arm bolt and the humongous screw that holds the spring in place on the outside near the rotor. That is a tight junction, but one small tap with a hammer quickly took care of that. Supporting the suspension with a jack stand below it was great because it kept a lot of force at our control. That sound of the spring decompressing was AWFUL! Reversing the order, it was time to take her for a ride.

For those who do it themselves, my Fusion did take a mile or so in a residential neighborhood to stop popping. First there was a lot of popping, and we were a bit concerned that we had done something wrong. However, it almost immediately subsided when I punched it a few more times - I'm sure the neighbors were appreciative :) Turning back in, it was Abbott's turn, but we had to cut it short since we both have significant others that had planned the rest of our Sunday :D

OPINION ON THE SPRINGS:

All in all, I am VERY pleased with these springs. I drove home from Coppell to Keller (16-17 miles) and the car handled GREAT. I can definitely notice that the suspension is stiffer. Taking off from a stoplight is GREAT - no front to back whatsoever. AWESOME. Stopping suddenly and the same exists - no back to front. However, on smooth asphalt or even new or slightly aged concrete roads I really can't say that I notice that much of a difference AT ALL. At 70MPH, I think it's maybe about 10% rougher. At about 85, it's about 20%. However, staying within 0-60 and I really can't say that I noticed any huge difference in the quality of my ride. If anything, I think the suspension is much better at smoothing out potholes that I had a lot of "wiggle" with previously with the stockers. With these springs, you hit the pothole, and it's done - the car doesn't rock back and forth 1-2 times like previously. I hit three rather minor pot holes on the way back (avoiding 3 bigger ones) and the handling was excellent through all of them. One of my rear tires had not settled by the time I left Abbott's place - within 16 miles it had definitely settled.

This is a GREAT upgrade - so if anyone is worried that it's going to DRASTICALLY change the way your Fusion or Milan or Z handles (in a negative way), then you've really got nothing to fear. The look is AWESOME. It makes the 17" SEL rims look bigger than 17" because it fills the wheel well almost perfectly.

Pics will come as soon as I get a rear spoiler and new rims on car - should be Tue or Wed - will give update at that time too.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Re: Eibach Lowering Springs - INSTALL

[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=89204.msg1717453#msg1717453 date=1189974088]
Fatabbot and I installed my Eibachs today.
[/quote]

Mark, excellent write up! Glad that right rear seated itself properly.

Was actually quite fun, learning curve and all. Once we got past the first front wheel, we were rolling. Coulda shaved at least an hour off the total install had we known what we were doing initially :lol: :lol:

Mark's Fusion was great looking stock (being the same color as my Milan :lol: ), but the springs made a world of difference, even rode 100% better than I thought it would after the install.

All in all, 100% recommendation :lol:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts

[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=89204.msg1717453#msg1717453 date=1189974088]
OPINION ON THE SPRINGS:

All in all, I am VERY pleased with these springs. I drove home from Coppell to Keller (16-17 miles) and the car handled GREAT. I can definitely notice that the suspension is stiffer. Taking off from a stoplight is GREAT - no front to back whatsoever. AWESOME. Stopping suddenly and the same exists - no back to front. However, on smooth asphalt or even new or slightly aged concrete roads I really can't say that I notice that much of a difference AT ALL. At 70MPH, I think it's maybe about 10% rougher. At about 85, it's about 20%. However, staying within 0-60 and I really can't say that I noticed any huge difference in the quality of my ride. If anything, I think the suspension is much better at smoothing out potholes that I had a lot of "wiggle" with previously with the stockers. With these springs, you hit the pothole, and it's done - the car doesn't rock back and forth 1-2 times like previously. I hit three rather minor pot holes on the way back (avoiding 3 bigger ones) and the handling was excellent through all of them. One of my rear tires had not settled by the time I left Abbott's place - within 16 miles it had definitely settled.

This is a GREAT upgrade - so if anyone is worried that it's going to DRASTICALLY change the way your Fusion or Milan or Z handles (in a negative way), then you've really got nothing to fear. The look is AWESOME. It makes the 17" SEL rims look bigger than 17" because it fills the wheel well almost perfectly.

Pics will come as soon as I get a rear spoiler and new rims on car - should be Tue or Wed - will give update at that time too.
[/quote]

wooHoo!! Congrats man, it sounds great! I can't wait to see the pics!!
I'm really excited to read this, especially since I'll be ordering my Eibachs next week! I'm no stranger to the Eibach ProKit (i've installed it on two of my previous vehicles, a '97 DSM and an '02 Focus ZX3) but I have a few questions for you:

1. Is there any rake on your vehicle after the drop? I've seen several members on here who have the Prokit and their rear is lower than the front!
2. Are you satisfied with the amount of the drop, or does it seem like there is still too much gap?
3. Where did you purchase your kit, if you don't mind me asking...
4. Any negative camber issues?

Thanks in advance, sorry for all the questions! I guess I'm just excited! Gratz again, and get those pics up! :D

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

Mine came in Friday. Got 'em from Shox.com 219.00 delivered. I'm gonna have to wait until the 29th to put em on. Like a kid at christmas---damn its hard to wait! Thanks for the write up guys.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts

[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=89204.msg1718296#msg1718296 date=1190000353]
Mine came in Friday. Got 'em from Shox.com 219.00 delivered. I'm gonna have to wait until the 29th to put em on. Like a kid at christmas---damn its hard to wait! Thanks for the write up guys.
[/quote]

Tirerack has them for $220 shipped, which is where thereisnospoon and I ordered ours.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well, at first it did look like the car was lowered more in the back than the front, but I think it's because the left rear tire actually did appear to be lower than the right rear at that time. After I drove her a little bit, things really did seem to even out.

As far as do I think it could be LOWER? Well, I KNOW it COULD be lower, but there are two railroad tracks that I have to cross on any given day to get where I need to go, and if it were any lower I'd really be scared. Plus, I think if it were really any lower, the ride would suffer. To me, the amount that the ProKit lowered the Fusion is perfect. I don't think there's too much gap at all. IMO if it were more, it would be too much. The thing that most surprised me was that the RIDE although being 1.5" lower was actually pretty well preserved pre- vs. post- install. There are definitely some surfaces where you know you're not on stock springs anymore, but I don't ever feel like I'm going to vibrate out of my seat or anything.

I didn't have any issue with camber, but just to make sure I'm going to have it all checked after putting the rims on - which actually now will probably be later this week. This includes making sure we torqued everything down correctly, but I have no doubts that it'll be anything less than perfect since we were very careful to make sure everything was torqued to spec.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I took some pics of her this morning just so that you could see. Remember, this is lowering a rather otherwise stock Fusion. The first two pics are closeups of the driver side front and back....doesn't look uneven to me.

I'm trying to find some side shots of my Fusion BEFORE lowering - I don't think I have any to be honest, but I'm still looking...........

·
Registered
619 Posts

A couple important additions for anyone that's planning this.

1. Any bolt in the suspension that connects through a bushing needs to be torqued with the car sitting on the ground. This includes the lower shock bolt (bottom of C-arm/wishbone/fork, whatever you want to call it) and the rear lower control arm bolt that you remove to get the spring out. If you tighten these up while the wheels are hanging in the air they will wind up more than designed and cause a rougher ride and they'll wear out faster. The best way to "neutralize" them is when the car is on the alignment rack, loosen the nuts a bit, bounce the car up and down a few times (make sure the pins are out of the plates on the rack), then torque them down to spec. There is a lot of binding in the rear suspension of the Fusion, so if it were me, I'd "neutralize" the rear toe link bushings and even the upper control arm bushings at the new lower ride height while I was at it.

2. Alignment. Anytime you lower a car you move the suspension to a different part of the toe curve. So your toe settings will change and should be fixed before too long or bad tire wear will result. Just make sure you do the neutralization mentioned above before the alignment.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Great additions, Waldo. I didn't realize number 1. My ride is not rough at all. Since I really don't have any way to torque to spec while the car is sitting on the ground, I may want them to just quickly look into number 1. Regarding alignment, I recently had front passenger suspension work done and the car was clearly out of alignment. After installing the Eibachs I've actually noticed that my alignment deficit is mostly gone.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts

We torqued those bolts with the floor jack compressing the rear suspension, so I doubt we were very far off from the geometry of it being on the ground. However, just another thing to keep mind for the next install :lol:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts

Looks great man, thanks for posting the pics! Once the springs settle it's gonna look even better. It's a lot more fun to drive a lowered vehicle, isn't it! Don't forget to post more pics when you get your rims, and let's see some full body profile shots then!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Yes, it is fun to drive a lowered vehicle for sure. Handling is much better overall IMO. The Eibachs still let me know from time to time that they are still fresh and new and need some more settling time. Unfortunately I couldn't put them on a hydraulic press and spring them to condition them before putting them on. I'm not concerned, because I know we did the install correctly. It's just going to take some more bumps in the road before I know they're completely good to go.

Overall, this is by far the best mod to the vehicle I've done yet. Then again, really haven't done much else besides spoilers, mud flaps, sound system and BT kit that isn't even working now. I installed a "redo" of the trunk lip spoiler last night and will get the rims on Thursday. Then I'll get her cleaned up and in decent condition for some pics.

I still wanted to do the headlight mods (like yours) or at least the ground wire mod before taking pics (second of which wouldn't matter), but I don't think I'm going to get to that. Still haven't found anyone who can match the charcoal beige. I was talking with Slater and I might actually just do it on black vinyl to see what the contrast would look like. All will come in due time I guess! :)

·
Registered
17,662 Posts

[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=89204.msg1721815#msg1721815 date=1190133815]
Yes, it is fun to drive a lowered vehicle for sure. Handling is much better overall IMO. The Eibachs still let me know from time to time that they are still fresh and new and need some more settling time. Unfortunately I couldn't put them on a hydraulic press and spring them to condition them before putting them on. I'm not concerned, because I know we did the install correctly. It's just going to take some more bumps in the road before I know they're completely good to go.
[/quote]

What is happening now? The same sort of "clunking" noises?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=89204.msg1721836#msg1721836 date=1190134418]
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=89204.msg1721815#msg1721815 date=1190133815]
[/quote]

What is happening now? The same sort of "clunking" noises?

[/quote]
Is that supposed to be a normal characteristic of a new eibach install? Just curious, mine are goin on next week.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts

[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=89204.msg1721908#msg1721908 date=1190137823]

Is that supposed to be a normal characteristic of a new eibach install? Just curious, mine are goin on next week.
[/quote]

When we first drove it around the block, it had some clunking sounds that subsided as the spring seated themselves properly. I'm just wondering if he's having more. If so, we'll probably have to recheck them next week when we install mine.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

It's not so much a clunking issue, it's a "springy" issue - whenever I go over big bumps, big dips, etc. the car will SOMETIMES make a noise. However, driving normally or even taking curves it rarely makes a sound.

The wife didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when we went to dinner last night (and there were no issues with sounds at all). As a matter of fact, she even commented to me how much better the ride was. I still think it's a settling issue. It's in NO WAY like the original issues we had when driving through your neighborhood, Abbot.

I stopped by my service guy at the dealership yesterday PM and asked him about doing a double check to make sure my warranty would still be good. He said that he would do it on Thursday when he puts on my rims and aligns the vehicle but even told me that I could experience some "springy" sounds for 2-3 weeks if the springs weren't compressed and decompressed through at least 20-30 cycles to condition them. He said some guy had H&R's installed recently on his Fusion and had intermittent residual sounds for a month afterward.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts

Cool, thanks for the update, Mark. That puts my mind at ease a little. Just don't want you to have problems after I talked you into us installing them instead of a shop :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Abbot, I don't have any doubt that we did anything other than a Class A job. With as many precautions that we took and the attention to detail we had with torquing down everything just right, I know we were good with our install.

The main reason for going by the dealership yesterday was to give him and the manager a piece of my mind about my car's 3-week stay at the dealership for suspension damage....and THEN make an appointment for suspension check, alignment, and new rim tire mounting.

As I was about to get involved in a serious chat about the 3-week BS, my service guy changed the subject (he noticed the drop) and immediately offered to check it if I wanted to wait for an hour, which I didn't. I then told him about the driver side lower shock bolt being so loose that I was able to turn it with my fingers when we were installing the springs and how I was pissed about that as well, and then went back and expressed my dissatisfaction about the 3-week stay. The manager got involved towards the end.

He knows that the dealership is on my sh** list right now so I think he and the manager are trying to do everything in their power not to lose a customer (2 vehicles and 10 friends to date that I have personally referred straight to him). He probably wouldn't be as nice if I didn't know him on a personal level as well.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts

Yeah, that loose bolt was kinda unsettling....

It's torqued down now, though :lol:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Took a long drive this PM taking care of the honeydo list on my weekday off, and I noticed that the front springs are pretty much settled. However, going over speedbumps and I still have the springy sounds in the rear. It'll take time I know. Otherwise, I can't say that I really had any issues.

One thing though: I can tell they're really starting to settle, because my alignment issue that was present after I got the car back from the body shop has now started to return. I guess by Thursday it will be a great time to align it when I put the new rims on.

So, 5 days after install will seemingly be the right amount of time. We'll see.

·
Registered
619 Posts

Hint, hint, doing the neutralization I mentioned above will greatly accelerate the settling and probably reduce the noises as well.

I did a test once where a torqued down the front lower shock bolt at rebound vs torquing it at curb. The difference was about 3mm of ride height. Imagine that times the 6 bushings on each side in the rear.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts