FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be posted somewhere else but I can't find it. If I lower my car, (Stock wheels) will it bottom out with passengers in the back. Lets say two adults for a starting point? I'm rather ignorant when it comes to suspensions. (among other things of course)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Heya Halorealm. I have had the Eibachs on my Milan with the stock 16" rims and tires for about 3 months now and I haven't bottomed the car out yet. Not even with two adults (or 1 adult and a trunk full of luggage) in the back. You do have to watch out on steep driveways and while parking nose in against curbs or those concrete blocks as I HAVE scraped the bottom of the nose of my car. :cry: Just remember that you can bottom out ANY car if you try hard enough. Normal driving using common sense and some awareness and you won't have a problem.
And it REALLY does look good sitting on those springs... 8)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skull_Cowboy,
I really like the looks of some of the rides here with custom wheels but as I get older (43) the stock look really appeals to me. You didn't mention changing the shocks on the car to suit the springs. I have read arguments both for and against. Surely there must be a wear issue with the factory shocks. What have you seen personally with your Milan or has it been a non-issue? Also, I am running the 17 inch wheels, would there or could there be a difference in the bottoming out frequency provided one drives with common sense as you stated? BTW-thanks for your post. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
hehe Got ya beat on the older part (47). My next upgrade is an 18" set of these:
http://www.enkei.com/jpeg files/Wheels/RS7Silver.jpg

I did not replace the shocks and don't really believe this to be a problem as I am not building a high performance race machine. The drop with the Eibachs is not substantial(1.2 to 1.5") and with my driving style the added wear on the shocks (if there really is any) is not going to be enough to worry about. So far it has been a non issue.
The stock 17s are 225/50/17 (I think) which are around 0.2" shorter than my tires (205/60/16). Check out 0.2 (like 1/5th of an inch) on a ruler and that is your increased chance of bottoming out. I think the common sense will steer you clear of any problems. :)
Oh, and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not to mention after market springs are usually a bit stiffer than stock springs to prevent body roll. Don't worry about bottoming out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the HR springs that drop lower than the eibachs. The front bumper scrapes, the Magnaflow catback scratches after the cat and at the tailpipes. You cant notice it unless you look under the car. The eibachs should be fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
[quote author=confuciousD30 link=topic=83445.msg1576890#msg1576890 date=1185166757]
I have the HR springs that drop lower than the eibachs. The front bumper scrapes, the Magnaflow catback scratches after the cat and at the tailpipes. You cant notice it unless you look under the car. The eibachs should be fine.
[/quote]

On driveways and such, yes?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
That is a main reason I don't want to drop mine. The Sonic and Dollar Store I usually go to have a dip and steep incline to get into the parking lot. It would be embarrasing to draw a lot of attention by making a loud "SCUUUURRRRRCCCHHHH!!!!!" by turning into the parking lot. :x

·
Registered
148 Posts
Angles, man, it's all about angles. Always approach dips, steep driveways, etc at an angle and not straight on. I have never scraped anything in public, only my own driveway and only once. Well, twice if ya wanna be picky... :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=83445.msg1562890#msg1562890 date=1184645895]
If I lower my car, (Stock wheels) will it bottom out with passengers in the back. Lets say two adults for a starting point?[/quote]

The answer to your question is NO, you honestly dont have to worry about bottoming out. the springs are tuned to work with ur stock shocks. although they will wear much quicker. i mean unless u haul ass over a speed bump u should be fine..i have eibachs installed and the ride quality is by far much better than stock(less body dive). Obviously all lowered vehicles have to watch out for places where u can bottom out... thats a given!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.