FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even to my tin ears the base sound system in my SEL V6 is barely adequate. The Blaupunkt speakers I recently fitted in the front and rear doors have wrought a modest improvement but the system still sorely
lacks the detail and presence of the Shaker 500 system I recently sampled in a Mustang GT. Given that I do not want to replace the factory head unit (for aesthetic reasons) I am uncertain about the next mod: shall I
add amplification and/or a modest subwoofer? Some have suggested that the addition of any external amplification to the base system's modest electronics would be wasteful as it would further distort the signal to be reproduced. I would like to approach the sound quality of the Shaker 500 system. Thank you for your
participation.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've never heard what the Shaker 500 system sounds like, so I have no advice on how to achieve that tone.

But I do know what the Fusions system sounds like. I recommend replacing all your speakers at a minimum. Cheesey ass paper cones just can't compare to good aftermarket speaker.

I kept my factory head unit, and it works just fine.

G

·
Well, you could always add an a nice single sub in the trunk.

If you do decide to do that, I suggest you get a sub that can handle a lot of watts, and then put a lot of power to it. So you may turn down the gain on the amp giving less distortion.

For example some people buy two 12 inch subs that can both handle 150 watts rms. So they then run 150 watts rms to them however it isn't the thump they were looking for so they turn that gain all the way up, giving you moderate distortion.

By getting a high handling sub and a powerful amp you can turn down the gain, and it should give you a nice sound.

I would really like people to listen to my sound system, it is fairly decent. I don't know why you people go and change the door speakers and all of that stuff. I just added two 12 inch subs, that can both handle 600 watts max, and run about 300 watts rms. Though I'd say im only putting out 180 to both subs. The highs are nice and crisp, and the bass doesn't drownded them out yet still gives you the sound you were looking for with a nice chair massage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The shaker 500 system is the upgraded system for the mustangs. From what i'm seeing you have the normal factory radio in your fusion. If you wanted to compare apples to apples you'd have to listen to the audiophile system for the fusion. I have the upgraded for the fusion and it sounds pretty darn good for a factory system. It upgrades the head unit (I think) and adds 2 more speakers to the rear deck.

G

·
I can't stand the Audiophile system, I have the premium in my fusion, and my mother has the Audiophile in her 500. I cant stand having the music coming from behind me, I need it to come from the tweeters.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Never said I didn't perfer the awesome sound of a boston acoustics componet set making my ears bleed :shock:
Just that the audiophile system is not bad for a stock system ...

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=fusion66 link=topic=86107.msg1635738#msg1635738 date=1187025511]
Even to my tin ears the base sound system in my SEL V6 is barely adequate. The Blaupunkt speakers I recently fitted in the front and rear doors have wrought a modest improvement but the system still sorely
lacks the detail and presence of the Shaker 500 system I recently sampled in a Mustang GT. Given that I do not want to replace the factory head unit (for aesthetic reasons) I am uncertain about the next mod: shall I
add amplification and/or a modest subwoofer? Some have suggested that the addition of any external amplification to the base system's modest electronics would be wasteful as it would further distort the signal to be reproduced. I would like to approach the sound quality of the Shaker 500 system. Thank you for your
participation.

[/quote]

I have heard the Shaker 500 in 2000 mustang. It is not very special. It is a great stock system for sure; but not very expensive to reproduce on your own. The Shacker 500 has upgraded 4 speakers (5x7s all around; fronts are components). and an amplifier that powers them. I don't recall it having a lot of lows or bass output. In that case I reccomend 4 channel amp to those aftermarket speakers to increase clarity and output.

Please ask yourself: what do you want to improve? The highs/mids? Lows(bass)?? Overall output??

highs/mids-- get better speakers esspecially add front comps with an amp
Lows-- add sub with amp
output-- add 4 channel amp to those speakers.

·
Registered
359 Posts
also adding aftermarket speakers to a factory head is not the best...to really hear the aftermarkets you would also need a aftermarket head...but since you want to keep the factory head there is no sense debating it. Are your aftermarkets in the front components or coaxs? If they are coaxs did you unplug the factory tweeter (im asuming you got the 6disc)? A lot of people that have been putting in coaxs in the front have been disconnecting the tweeters.

It sounds like the next step to max out what you currently have would be to add a sub. Dont bother putting other money into more expensive speakers without upgrading the source first (the head).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The speakers fitted in the front are coaxial units and I have not disconnected the factory tweeters. I may
purchase component tweeters but I will certainly purchase an aftermarket amplifier. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
221 Posts
[quote author=fusion66 link=topic=86107.msg1642960#msg1642960 date=1187221133]
The speakers fitted in the front are coaxial units and I have not disconnected the factory tweeters. I may
purchase component tweeters but I will certainly purchase an aftermarket amplifier. What do you recommend?

[/quote]
JUST REMOVE THE FACTORY TWEETERS! Sorry for CAPS but you really don't need them.

I am assuming you want to amplify all 4 door speakers; in that case you need a 4 channel amp. I reccomend 50-75 W X4 rms. I personally like the quality of elemental Designs amps. I have them and they sound great and are very solid. I reccomend their nine.4 amp that amp provides 65wx4 rms; it will run you $ 245 shipped with 5 yr warranty:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=46

If you want cheaper alternatives; please let me know.

Before you pull the trigger; please make sure you answer this question:

what do you want to improve? The highs/mids? Lows(bass)?? Overall output??

highs/mids-- get better speakers esspecially add front comps with an amp
Lows-- add sub with amp
output-- add 4 channel amp to those speakers. --- I hope that is what you want to improve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts