FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
I put up a similar post. Everyone seemed to think they are a waste of money. But, for $13.00 they sure are Tempting aren't they.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is it worth it? In two words, HELL NO!! They don't increase the fuel economy either, they decrease it. My brother got conned into one for his sebring and noticed a good 2mpg drop on his v6 He said he noticed slight increase in power but that's just because it made the computer think it was in cold weather so it just puts more fuel in, that's all it does.

·
Registered
584 Posts
It IS a resistor, placed on the air temperature sensor. The idea is that the ECU never "sees" the temperature of the incoming air, or it believes that the air is considerably colder that it really is. For compensation, the ECU adds more fuel to go along with the cooler, denser air to keep it's ideal air/fuel ratio. This makes the engine run a little more rich, which can add some torque down low, but overall doesn't do much of anything. Ford's ECU has an amazing amount of air/fuel maps which it references, and can even "learn" new ratio's based on feedback from the exhaust's O2 sensors. This gives a good chance that while the little resistor may work at first, the ECU will eventually reprogram itself to ignore (or self-correct) the input from the sensor, making your Ebay wunderchip useless.

Spend the dough on a K&N drop-in filter instead.

~Seawolf

·
Registered
702 Posts
ditto on the drop in K&N filter.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Those things are trash. Someone I know bought one for their F150 and it was nothing more than a resistor inside a cheap plastic housing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=71097.msg1262051#msg1262051 date=1173666892]
Those things are trash. Someone I know bought one for their F150 and it was nothing more than a resistor inside a cheap plastic housing.
[/quote]
I'm assuming that you are talking about the ebay chip, not the K&N.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Absolutely. I have the K&N in my Fusion already!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Awesome, me too, as you may have seen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts