FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DYNO # 1

Hi All...This subject has been touched upon numerous times on the FFC Forum in various threads ...so I Googled 'dyno's in Mass' Wednesday & this site http://www.nedyno.com/service.htm popped up...New England Dyno & Tuning. Well whadda ya know...its the next town over...about a ten minute cruz!! Bought a new air filter yesterday...Fram CA10094 ($8) and pulled the resonators outta the ends of the Magnaflow mufflers last nite for an unrestricted flow. I had already planned a 3 day weekend so I cruz'd up this morning just to check it out. Met Chad & explained my intentions...he checked the car out.."VERY well done"..."lets do it"...OK!

4 'Pulls' for $75...doable

Out front...

On the Dyno ...Chad strapping her down for the pulls...

'Sniffer' in the tailpipe for Air/Fuel ratio's...

Hi power blower fan up front for cooling...

Pull # 2...6K+...109MPH & climbing...hmmm...going nowhere FAST

The Results...

'Power Adders' as listed on NED&T's app are Bob's tunes, Larry's TBS & 'Mario's' mufflers ...and this is on 87 octane fuel with @15K on the odometer. The 1st pull I 'oops'd'...dyno 'protocol' is to shift to 4th (1:1)...not 5th ...stabilize @ 2K RPM then FLOOR IT aka pedal to the medal, witch I didn't...I gradually depressed the accelerator...so we didn't save it...oh well. The next 3 were pic perf...the 2nd pull (BLU) is the OEM tune...next 2 pulls (GRN & RED) are the Bob's 87P tune. OEM runs richer (lower line on air/fuel graph)...Bob's 87P tune runs abit lean. About 136 HP/ 'lbs TORQ @ the wheels. CAI is in the mail...will do install then return to NED&T for 4 more pulls ...2 @ 91P & 2 @ 91T...post pix & results.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: DYNO'D!!!!

Hi slaterracing....I was abit surprised, too. Figured some difference between the OEM & Bob's pulls somewhere along the HP/TORQ graphs...but all 3 appear to track the same with the exception of the air/fuel ratios...which is how Chad assured me that the 87P tune was in. He said we could tweek that parameter to bring it down to the 12.5 (optimal) AFR and probly see an increase in power...but I will wait to see the results from the 91T/P with the CAI pulls before doing anything. Would be nice to get an unmodified (stock) pull for true baseline HP/TORQ comparisons. The puzzleling aspect of all this is that there is a noticable improvement in 'giddyup' between 30/35-45/50 in 2nd & 3rd...to bad we can't 'capture' that seat of the pants feel on the dyno. Anyway...thanx for responding...you red it rite...I no this topic is near & dear to all who have done power mods of any kind...especially the tune...are the bucks I just spent giving me the bang they're proposed to.....so stay tuned....lets see what transpires with the next visit.

·
Registered
840 Posts

$75 bones for 4 runs? wtf... thats cheapppppp. nice man, hopefully this will give everyone some insight on what we can achieve.

·
Registered
440 Posts

On 87 octane there isnt much we can do other than to make the engine a little more efficient and play with the shifting. Where you will see the gains will be the high octane fuel, so thats what i cant wait to see when you get the CAI. Be sure you have PURE high octane fuel in your tank, may want to start filling with it now to flush the 87 out of the system.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hi benit0...kool...I figured it was reasonable! Thanx...appreciate the support...more info to come...

Hey Bob...was hoping to hear from you!! As soon as this tank is on fumes I had planned on Sunoco 93 oct as there is no 91 up here in New England that I am aware of, just 87/89/93...and when your CAI arrives (this week) and I do the 'Duct System"...then its off to NED&T for 4 more pulls. I appreciate your interest & support regarding this. Will post results & more pix. Take care...

·
Registered
702 Posts

Well based off of a 20% loss of power due to drivetrain loss you should be pulling about 170HP. I figured I was pulling about 185HP when I was running my 91 torque with about 3 gallons 110 octane and 4 gallons 91. I tweaked the tune by moving the spark curve +4 0-2000k RPM, +4 2k-4k, +2 4k-8k, and I also added 2% more fuel at WOT. I can't wait to see your figures with the high octane and the intake.
Cheers

Edit: I remembered something right after posting, 4th gear in the fusion isn't a true 1:1 ratio. It's a 0.97:1 ratio, making it slightly an overdrive gear. Nothing significant, just means at 1:1 you'd have slightly higher numbers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: DYNO 1 & 2

Hi rikkross....THANX!

Hey mechanicboy18....kool...thanx for the info!!

DYNO # 2

Hi All...got to NED&T @ 2:50 yesterday...Chad was ready...pulled in, strapped her down & ready to run @ 3:15. He checked out the ICAD..."thought it was koool"...told him my agenda..."no problem".
"Lets do it"...
The 'Agenda'..
Pull #1 (Runfile 005) is with 91T & ICAD
Pull #2 (Runfile 006) is with 91T W/O ICAD
Pull #3 (Runfile 007) is with 91P W/O ICAD
Pull #4 (Runfile 008) is with 91P & ICAD

Strapped down w/ cooling fan really to roll...

Tailpipe sniffer stuffed in for AFR..

As I pulled in...91T Tune from last Weds download & the ICAD System...ready for Pull #1...

Yanked the Amsoil Filter out for Pull @ 2 ...

Hmmmm...Chad remarks after Pull # 2..."you mite have something there with your 'System'".

Download 91P...Pull #3 w/o ICAD...Hmmmm...whaz up with this?...

Put Filter back in...Pull # 4...oh yes...now thats what I'm talk'n about...Chad remarks..."looks like ya definately have something there with your 'System'!"

1 HP/TORQ per CU"[email protected] the wheel...naturally aspirated!! IMMENSELY pleased with this!!!!
The AFR is rite on target on all 4 pulls as well!

I am more interested with Torque than HP...Torque stays fairly linear & up there from the 3K to 5k RPM...which is the fun shift'g and everyday driving range...while HP peaks @5.5K to 6.5K and levels off.

We all know that the cooler the air charge to the TB the more power it makes...I was abit surprised with the results...but it really works. I'm leaving the 91P tune in...will get the clear filter housing and do a more detailed 'how to' ICAD System for those who want to venture down this avenue.
The AMB temp this morning @ 6AM was 55 degrees and I had a great cruz into work with the 91P tune...also down below a qtr tank o fuel and have noticed an improvement in milage as I zero the trip odom every fillup to monitor this....looks like a 400 mile+ tank this time which I haven't seen since I bought it last year & drove it gingerly for breakin. Nice to be able to drive it 'Spiritedly' and get good gas milage too....THANX Bob!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hi slaterracing...Thanx!!! Even though there is a minimal difference in dyno #'s...the 'seat of the pants' feel is definately improved with the 91P/T tune over the 87P tune. Thank you...appreciate the compliment! Stay tuned...I have another project I'm working on...parts will be here today...some fabrication & TIG welding...as always...will post pix & all assembly info when completed.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

I was just looking at something. K&N has a base line for the 4 cyl fusion. Not sure if it is auto or MTX but they baselined at 110.4 and you are running 139.7 (rounded both up) so that is an increase of 29.3hp over stock. That is not bad at all. If i figured that right it is a 21% increase with just bolt ons intake, exhaust, and tune. That is killer.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts

[quote author=slaterracing link=topic=88460.msg1739650#msg1739650 date=1190809305]
I was just looking at something. K&N has a base line for the 4 cyl fusion. Not sure if it is auto or MTX but they baselined at 110.4 and you are running 139.7 (rounded both up) so that is an increase of 29.3hp over stock. That is not bad at all. If i figured that right it is a 21% increase with just bolt ons intake, exhaust, and tune. That is killer.
[/quote]

Hi slater. :wavey: Just to keep things in perspective and compare apples to apples, SGs Fusion posted the dyno results of the stock tune in his first post. They were 135.2 HP, much higher than the stock results published by K&N. So SGs improvement, from stock tune to 91 performance tune (taking the highest tune result) was 4.48 HP. This is approximately a 3.3% performance improvement, nowhere near a 21% increase..

Now of course, as you stated, K&N may have tested an automatic. But if that is the case, then logically, the improvement on an automatic equipped vehicle will also only be about 4-5 HP, from 110.4 Stock to approximately 115 Improved. It will not skyrocket from 110.4 to 139.68. There would definitely not be a 29.3 HP improvement.

I realize he pulled the resonators out, added a new air filter, etc, etc, before doing the stock tune run, but that still would not have added 25 horsepower from stock (110.4 to 135.2). In reality, the catalytic converters are the choke point in a modern exhaust system, not the mufflers or resonators.

I just wanted to point this out so another forum member, lacking the automotive knowledge of you and SGs, doesn't interpret all of this information incorrectly, adds a tune, intake and exhaust expecting a 21% increase in HP, and gets the disappointment of a lifetime!

And so you understand, I am in no way saying these improvements are not worth the money. On the contrary, I think they are great options for those looking for some performance improvement in their cars. I just don't want anyone expecting unrealistic results.

Good luck with your car (which looks great, by the way)! :cheers:

·
Registered
702 Posts

bbf2530 is right slater, every car is different, even if they look identical the dyno numbers won't be. As I have noted in another post, K&N dyno'd in 3rd gear on a MTX transmisson. This is why the numbers are so far off I believe.

Here's the link to K&N's dyno chart:

http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/69-3514.pdf

As you can see at the bottom of the page it states:

"Run Title: K&N 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3L m/t 3g
Run Notes: K&N intake kit installed. 3rd gear run. 22108 miles."

Why did K&N run in 3rd gear? I'm not sure but my guess is that they showed larger gains in 3rd gear.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=88460.msg1739980#msg1739980 date=1190820581]
bbf2530 is right slater, every car is different, even if they look identical the dyno numbers won't be. As I have noted in another post, K&N dyno'd in 3rd gear on a MTX transmisson. This is why the numbers are so far off I believe.

Here's the link to K&N's dyno chart:

http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/69-3514.pdf

As you can see at the bottom of the page it states:

"Run Title: K&N 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3L m/t 3g
Run Notes: K&N intake kit installed. 3rd gear run. 22108 miles."

Why did K&N run in 3rd gear? I'm not sure but my guess is that they showed larger gains in 3rd gear.

[/quote]
Cool thanks for showing that. by bad. also wouldn't a 3rd gear run make the #'s higher or am i thinking wrong? i know you want the to pull in a gear that is 1.1 so 5th would not work because the #'s would be lower but if you were in 3rd wouldn't the hp show higher. But maybe i am wrong on that. I have only had one car dyno'd and that had a C4 auto in it so put it in drive and punched it.

·
Registered
702 Posts

No, it would make the numbers lower. This is my educated guess as to why. In 3rd gear the engine revs quicker as per the acceleration of the tire. HP is just a equation between engine RPM and engine torque(can't remember what it is right off the top of my head, i think 5252 has something to do with it). Because it's an equation it's skewed by being in the wrong gear. Gentlemen, please correct me if I'm wrong. And as to whether 5th gear would show higher numbers I'm not sure. I'd think that 5th would show higher HP, but lower torque numbers, just a guess though.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=Governator link=topic=88460.msg1745441#msg1745441 date=1190995248]
I'd be more than curious as to what the results would be w/o the TB spacer in :thinking:

:cheers:
[/quote]
i would not think the TB spacer would add much. Maybe 1 to 2 HP tops. And that is a big Maybe. I am going to buy it anyway since it does not cost much and the Mazda guys love them they say the TB spacer works great.

·
Registered
170 Posts

I looked forward to your detailed 'how to'! I have the V6, so i really wonder what the HP/TQ difference would be to that!!

·
Registered
47 Posts

seems like a lot of time and money in performance mods for zip. I bet running on a cool day compared to a hot day would make more difference then those "power adders". I thought i read an improvement of 20 horse to the wheels from Bobs web site. Needless to say i am unimpressed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.