FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife has a 2010 Fusion, and for some reason all the sudden the drivers door won't open from the inside. Any ideas

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts
The wife has a 2010 Fusion, and for some reason all the sudden the drivers door won't open from the inside. Any ideas

Hi topher. Not a completely uncommon issue. Your interior drivers door handle has probably broken. You can verify this Internet diagnosis by using two hands to slowly pull the door lock and interior door handle simultaneously. The door will probably open, meaning you will need to replace the door handle.

It is an easy DIY job. You only need to remove the door panel to access the broken handle. There are even online How-To videos on YouTube. The door handle will cost about $55-$75 dollars, according to where you buy it. I would recommend getting the OEM Motorcraft replacement, since cheap knock-offs will just break sooner than expected. A Dealer will probably charge ~$200-$250 to replace.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi topher. Not a completely uncommon issue. Your interior drivers door handle has probably broken. You can verify this Internet diagnosis by using two hands to slowly pull the door lock and interior door handle simultaneously. The door will probably open, meaning you will need to replace the door handle.

It is an easy DIY job. You only need to remove the door panel to access the broken handle. There are even online How-To videos on YouTube. The door handle will cost about $55-$75 dollars, according to where you buy it. I would recommend getting the OEM Motorcraft replacement, since cheap knock-offs will just break sooner than expected. A Dealer will probably charge ~$200-$250 to replace.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haha. If the Motorcraft door handles were so great why are we all replacing them? I just replaced one for the driver door with a part from the dealer (about $45). I also needed one for the rear left passenger door, which they did not have, so I bought it online for about half the dealer price. They look identical.

The parts guy at the dealer said it is a bad design and he sells about one a week.

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts
Haha. If the Motorcraft door handles were so great why are we all replacing them? I just replaced one for the driver door with a part from the dealer (about $45). I also needed one for the rear left passenger door, which they did not have, so I bought it online for about half the dealer price. They look identical.

The parts guy at the dealer said it is a bad design and he sells about one a week.
Hi mkelsey. Not sure why you quoted my previous post from this ~2 year old thread. I clearly stated it is "Not a completely uncommon issue" and did not deny it was an issue.

I merely advised the OP as to what the problem probably was, and to be sure they are not buying a cheap knock-off replacement. If you think the Motorcraft/factory ones are bad, (which you made clear you do), then buy a cheap knockoff and see how quickly it fails. Non-OEM door handles are made even cheaper/less robust than the factory/OEM ones. A cheap knock-off may look identical to a Factory/OEM part, but they are not.

Out of curiosity...Who manufactured the "rear left passenger door" handle you purchased? As an FYI...Buying online does not mean it was not a Motorcraft part. Motorcraft parts can be purchased from a bazillion online sites, and usually for less than the Dealer, as you found out.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts