FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a new aftermarket headunit for my 07 Fusion. I'd like to save some money and do the install myself, however I'm not sure how difficult it is taking off the required trim, etc. in the dash?

I'm guessing you just have to remove the piece of plastic on the radio surround, and the screws will be located beneath. However I'm hesistant because I don't want to break/crack anything if I do it improperly.

Anybody that's done a headunit install on the Fusion, do you know what exactly you have to remove to install the headunit, and how hard of an install is it?

Any advice would be appreaciated, thanks.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just pull the trim piece off starting from the bottom. Put 2-3 fingers under the edge, thumbs on top and gently pull it out. It should pop out pretty easily. Then work your way up the sides and then the top. Be careful when you get to the top , you'll have to disconnect the connector for the message cntr. buttons, the clock and flashers. Then just 4 bolts on the face of the radio. Make sure to get a harness so you do not have to cut wires. There are othre posts with info about the wires and the antenna booster which most harnesses ignore. Let em know if youe decide to go ahead and I'll give you some more info. Good luck!

·
Registered
505 Posts
[quote author=ac12347 link=topic=91097.msg1764843#msg1764843 date=1191803274]
I'm looking at getting a new aftermarket headunit for my 07 Fusion. I'd like to save some money and do the install myself[/quote]a wise decision. not only will you save some money, but you'll get the satisfaction of a job well done.

[quote author=ac12347 link=topic=91097.msg1764843#msg1764843 date=1191803274]I'm not sure how difficult it is taking off the required trim, etc. in the dash? ~ I'm guessing you just have to remove the piece of plastic on the radio surround, and the screws will be located beneath.[/quote]exactly. that's all there is to it.

[quote author=ac12347 link=topic=91097.msg1764843#msg1764843 date=1191803274]Anybody that's done a headunit install on the Fusion, do you know what exactly you have to remove to install the headunit?[/quote]the bezel is held in by metal retaining clips (NOTE: they are very tight the first time the bezel is removed, so be prepared to exert a significant amount of force to pull them out for the first time). most of the clips just pull straight out, but there are two clips on the bottom of the bezel (just above the HVAC controls) that angle down 90°.

to remove it pull out from the bottom first (this will break the lower side clips free), then work your way up to the top until the whole bezel is loose. now pull the top out and unplug the wire harnesses for the hazard, info center buttons. next tilt the whole bezel down like a tailgate and it should pull straight out.

next unscrew the 4 hex screws that hold the factory stereo in, and pull it straight out. if it seems like something is holding it back, the n a wire harness might be stuck behind it, luckily there is plenty of room above and behind the stereo to get your hand back there to free whatever is stuck. now just unplug the 2 harnesses and antenna cable and you're done :)

EDIT: eiching1 beat me to it (I type too slow), but you get the idea

:wavey:

·
Registered
833 Posts
LOL...I did a cut & paste from a previous post. It's all good info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you were installing subs would you have to buy a new headunit to use them in the fusion or will the current one work fine?

·
Registered
505 Posts
you can hook subs up to the factory stereo (use the amp's high-level/speaker-level input or use a line-level output converter). but they will sound a lot better with an aftermarket head unit.. in fact your whole system will sound a lot better with an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
if by "double tall size" you mean double-DIN then yes it will fit. single-DIN is 7" x 2", double-DIN is 7" x 4", the Fusion's radio opening is a little bigger (maybe 7¼" x 4½"?) so unless you make your own bezel you will need a trim kit to fill in the gaps around the edges.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.