FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I bought my 2006 Ford Fusion back in September. I have noticed a decrease in gas mileage since I purchased the Fusion. It's the 2.3L V4 automatic motor. On average I've been getting about 17-19 MPG. Granted I mostly do city driving, this still seems significantly low from the 23-31 MPG advertised. I have contacted Ford and hopefully they can inspect or determine why the gas mileage is so crappy. The tire pressure is perfect and there are no other evident problems. Does anyone have any similar issue, or problems they are experiencing with the 2.3 V4? After reading this forum and noticing the V6 motor is getting better gas mileage it is pretty disappointing. If anyone has any advice or suggestions please help!

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not sure what to tell you about your problem.

FYI, I separated your response from the post that you had originally posted it in since it was not relevant to that post.

Hopefully since this is a stand-alone topic it may gain more (and helpful) responses.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Thats crazy! My V6 AWD is never really driven outside the city I average 20mph and get 14mpg I'm hoping it improves for me and you as well, your the first person I';ve heard complain about the I4 mpg!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have the same thing in the Milan. In short, it’s the air conditioning pulling it down. It’s as simple as this, either they have a fairly sizeable air conditioning pump that allows
the system to cool the car down in a reasonable amount of time or they don’t. These cars do have a sizeable pump.
If I drive the Milan with a light foot, I can usually drive the mpg up but my wife doesn’t drive like that. I have seen as high as 22 in the city when I drive (with out the air).
As for the V6 guys getting the high numbers around town, well I question it. I know that some guys have done modifications with some degree of success. That usually is the result of more spark lead and where I live, I can’t go there.
I have the 17” wheels which means the tires are a little wider than normal so I kick the
air pressure up to about 34lbs.
Ford needs to stop dragging their feet and employ Direct Cylinder Injection, which will help the mpg.
One more thing, the more ethanol that they stoke in the gasoline, forget about MPG.
You can’t have your cake an eat it too. For ethanol to work well, the compression ratio
needs to be jacked way up and when you do that, you can’t run pump gas.
I wish I had better news for you. Good Luck. :?

·
Registered
610 Posts
You have an I4 :)

Ok, with the AC on and driving in the city, stop and go, with hot and humid air, these cars can indeed suck down the fuel, but not any worse than other 4 cylinders in this class. City driving kills mpg across all breeds and brands. In hot and humid air with the AC on it feels like my car has lost a cylinder and I am always giving it more fuel just to get it up to speed.

[quote author=kimblekill link=topic=81214.msg1506039#msg1506039 date=1182459124]
Hi all,

I bought my 2006 Ford Fusion back in September. I have noticed a decrease in gas mileage since I purchased the Fusion. It's the 2.3L V4 automatic motor. On average I've been getting about 17-19 MPG. Granted I mostly do city driving, this still seems significantly low from the 23-31 MPG advertised. I have contacted Ford and hopefully they can inspect or determine why the gas mileage is so crappy. The tire pressure is perfect and there are no other evident problems. Does anyone have any similar issue, or problems they are experiencing with the 2.3 V4? After reading this forum and noticing the V6 motor is getting better gas mileage it is pretty disappointing. If anyone has any advice or suggestions please help!

Thanks,
Eric

[/quote]

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the same problem. I also have a 4 cylinder 5 speed auto and I am getting 18 mpg.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sad, this does not sound good. I would expect much better milage, especially with
the I4 motor. what is the average / combined for the 3.0L motor ? Forget the ethanol added gas if you can, & only go 87 rating.

Off topic, but still milage, I currently average mid to upper 20's in my 2004 4.6L
Mustang GT, manual, all stock. Low to mid 20's in winter. All mostly hi-way driving &
I run my tire pressure at the Goodyear max., 45 psi., ride is firm but not harsh by any means. Hi-way speeds are 60 - 65 mph range, traffic & cops everywhere.

I'm happy with the milage. It was the same for my previous Mustang GT's, '98 & '01's.

Seriously thinking about adding a 2008 Fusion SEL 3.0L Sport Edition, & hoping for at least the same or BETTER milage, & just as much FUN :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Same problem here but when I drive on the highway I get really close to 40mpg all the time. When my wife drives it to work 1 mile away from the house and through plenty of stop signs, she gets aroung 19-20 avg but as soon as I take it to the highway it jumps up. City driving is nasty on this engine. It should get more in the city but I'm not going to complain with the 40 mpg highway.

I took it on a 3 hr highway drive and I was going up and down hills at approximately 65-70 mph the whole distance and when I got back it was saying 39.7 mpg avg. I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The A/C seriously kills your fuel economy, i don't care what the studies say that it only takes about 1mpg different, that must be for an SUV that only get 16mpg then 17 w/o a/c. I drive up and down the hill to paradise today, about 30 miles round trip and used the a/c for the first time because it's warm and i don't want my wife to be hot as she's 30 weeks pregnant but it raped my fuel economy. the lowest mpg i've ever received was 22 according to the computer and that was only city driving with only a mile on the hwy was 22mpg, with no a/c.

It doesn't matter what kind of car you have it will not get great fuel economy in the city with the a/c on, even hybrids. They can only sit so long on battery power before they have to charge the battery and the a/c will suck the battery down fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.