FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He says my lug wrench might not fit because the tin caps are moving away from the nut. It's a 2012 SEL. Maybe the parts dept.is over stocked with nuts.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
They aren't lying to you, its a very common problem. Chrysler and Toyota have the problem the worst but it can happen to any vehicle with this style of lug nut and it will happen to the OE replacement nuts too. They are an open ended 18mm steel nut with a stainless steel cap pressed or crimped over the nut, making the 19mm hex. Over time moisture gets in between and the steel rusts causing the stainless cap to swell up. This also holds moisture in the threads as well that can cause the nuts the seize. The only solution is to get a set of aftermarket lug nuts that are chrome plated. Doorman also sells vehicle specific nuts that are chrome plated to alleviate the issue. Its a safety issue because if you have a flat the OE lug wrench won't fit on the swollen nuts, leaving you stranded or waiting for a tow.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Chrysler is the one that should be sued over it. It happens the worst on their vehicles.
Overall, it's not an unheard of issue, which is the point the OP needs to understand. I know there are dealerships that push unnecessary services on customers, but this is definitely not one of them.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
amazon says $23.00 for a set of 20. Is that the way to go?
That depends, is it a name brand set or just some no-name lug nuts? I would try to find either the Dorman OE replacement ones or some universal replacements with a 19mm hex from McGuard or Gorilla. The only exception would be if you have steel wheels with the OE hubcaps. In that case the lug nuts are a special shape that holds the hubcaps on so you need either the Dorman OE replacements or new ones from the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts