FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to ask or post this so here goes.... Was on vacation in the sunny south for 10 days. Upon my return to Toronto (very cold) my car car was totally dead. I mean DEAD. Had to use the key to open the door. Had a remote start installed in October (FYI only) Called Ford for service. They were here within 1/2 hour so I was pleased there. Had to leave the cables on for a couple of minutes before the car would remain going. (-15 degrees C) Car runs fine to-day but the remote start does not work at all?????????? Any help on this before I take it to the dealer would be appreciated. Remote start was not installed by Ford

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Not sure why your battery went dead... May have something to due with your remote start.

As far as the remote start not working..... I have an aftermarket remote start on my t-bird, and anytime you disconnect the battery you have to have the remote start unit re-learn your key fob and the characteristics of your car (how long to start, high idle, etc) Did they give you a booklet with the unit?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Chris06Fusion. I did get a manual and it looks like I have re program the remote and reset the module. Was also at the manufactures website and it was a lot of help also. Great of you to respond so quickly... Thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
Keep an eye on the battery now. When they run way down like that, they should be brought back up slowly. The alternator will bring them up fast and it’s a little hard on the plates. I am not trying to be negative just be aware for warranty purposes.
Good luck to you. I wish you well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Dead Battery (new problem)

Was very clod last night and when I started the car all the presets for the defroster, fan speed and temp were blank . As if the off button was pressed. (it was not) My remote start is still out cuz of a scheduling problem which I do not have a problem with. I've had the same problem before (only when real cold) when using the remote and figured it was the problem, until this morning. Anyone out there have any suggestions before I head to the dealer?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Re: Dead Battery (new problem)

[quote author=Freddy link=topic=70374.msg1252423#msg1252423 date=1173217175]
Was very clod last night and when I started the car all the presets for the defroster, fan speed and temp were blank . As if the off button was pressed. (it was not) My remote start is still out cuz of a scheduling problem which I do not have a problem with. I've had the same problem before (only when real cold) when using the remote and figured it was the problem, until this morning. Anyone out there have any suggestions before I head to the dealer?
[/quote]

You might want to get a digital voltmeter and check the battery voltage, static.(at least 12.5)(13.2 to 14.6 running). Then check it while you are cranking the engine. If it drops below 10 volts while cranking, you may have a battery that’s going away. The electronics on these new cars need a good battery even though the alternator takes over after a start.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the post. The readings are as follows. 12.5 static, 14.3 running and 10.5 cranking. Looks good?

·
Registered
580 Posts
[quote author=Freddy link=topic=70374.msg1259862#msg1259862 date=1173546374]
Thanks for the post. The readings are as follows. 12.5 static, 14.3 running and 10.5 cranking. Looks good?
[/quote]

Try one more check while cranking. Turn on your head lights and see if it will hold that 10.5 volts. You may just have a component that is drawing the battery down. I wonder if the remote start is hooked up correctly?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I took mine in today to get the Winter tires changed and the battery was dead when I picked it up.

The dealer claims that they may have left the car with the doors open and the key in the ignition for a good part of the day.

Anyway, they charged the battery and it's fine now

Still kinda weird.

·
Registered
817 Posts
[quote author=ppdiaporama link=topic=70374.msg1300402#msg1300402 date=1175223562]
I took mine in today to get the Winter tires changed and the battery was dead when I picked it up.

The dealer claims that they may have left the car with the doors open and the key in the ignition for a good part of the day.

Anyway, they charged the battery and it's fine now

Still kinda weird.
[/quote]
Definitely weird. Something to watch out for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts