FordFusionClub.com banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
My dash did the same thing but I did things a little different. The lazy way I guess, but you can't tell there was ever an issue and it is still holding up after about a year.
My biggest concern was finding an adhesive that would stick but not melt the dash material. I used Permatex black silicone adhesive sealant. I am sure there are better products for this job but this is what I used.
I carefully pried up the dash pad enough to fit the tip of the tube's applicator nozzle under the dash pad ,squeezed some (liberal amount of) adhesive under the dash pad and used a plastic knife to spread it around keeping it away from the air bag.
I moved the passenger seat all the way forward.
Placed a 1" x4" board from the top of the seat to the bad part of the dash.
placed some cardboard under the board on the dash side.
then placed a light weight on the board to put pressure on the bad part of the dash.
(Doing what ever I could come up with to put even pressure(weight) on the bad part of the dash.)
I left it over night and I have not had an issue since.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I asked around and no one could give me an answer of what to use on the dash not even the people at Ford. I had used the "black silicone adhesive sealant" to help seal my tail lights after I opened them up to paint them, it worked great on that so I decided to give it a try on the dash and it worked. It does take a long time to set so I would let it set overnight. It is black so it matched my dash if any were to show. you should be able to get this at any auto store Item# 81158 on the tube.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ok so kind of bumping an old thread because I did this on my fusion today. My dash had started to bubble just in front of the airbag like everyone elses here. I actually used contact cement for my repair. I had a container of it from fixing the sagging door vinyl in my Mustang. Decided I would try it out on the dash. There was a piece at the bottom close to the glovebox that was peeling as well. glued both and used some plastic clamps all along the edge to hold it for awhile after letting the glue tack up. With the contact cement you have to coat both surfaces, let it damn near dry, then press together firmly. Worked great on the door panel I fixed on my Bullitt. Worked today great too. I was a little rushed so I'll see how it holds up. I also reglued part of the door panel as my 06 has the vinyl covered inserts even though I have cloth seats. Actually I'm not sure if thats factory or not. But that was bubbling too. All the stuff falling apart was driving me crazy. The car has been pretty solid otherwise. THinking of selling it soon so I wanted to get it looking nice again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for bumping this- I just discovered this problem on my car too. I'll have to pick a solution from the many presented here, but it's nice to have options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Simple fix to bubbled dash passenger side

1. Disconnect both positive AND negative wires from battery.
2. Remove glove box door. Pull sides inward to release the outboard catches so the door can go all the way down or completely lift off the hinges.
3. Use ratchet with 6-9 inch extension and remove the 2 bolts.
4. Lift the air bag assembly straight up towards the windshield.
5. Remove the 2 wire clips and set airbag assembly aside.
6. Sand the surface to be glued and completely clean and dry area.
7. Evenly spread glue to area.
8. Place board over dash and use 2-3 c-clamps on board to underside. Leave in place 4-5 hours so glue sets up nicely.
9. Reassembly is reversal.
10. Looks like brand new again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FWIW, I used Loctite Stick 'n Seal Ultra Extreme (comes in a black tube unlike the Extreme which is blue and red) mainly because of the temperature swing it will handle. Do I expect my car to get to -58 or +248deg F? No, but I don't want to have to go in and do this again.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but the drivers side defrost vent was popping out due to the same issue. I have also fixed this issue using some medium sized binder clips (The black kind that you can fold out the handle and pretend fly :) ) to hold down the pad while the glue cured. The clips do leave a slight indentation that goes away very quickly once exposed to higher temp again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're not alone. I have an 07 Fusion preowned off a dealer and it was that way. Told me it probably just got hot in the sun. I was afraid to mess with it either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but the drivers side defrost vent was popping out due to the same issue. I have also fixed this issue using some medium sized binder clips (The black kind that you can fold out the handle and pretend fly :) ) to hold down the pad while the glue cured. The clips do leave a slight indentation that goes away very quickly once exposed to higher temp again.
Glad to hear binder clips worked - I've got the same issue on the defroster vent on my newly acquired '06 - it is the one cosmetic issue I haven't fixed yet (everything else was trivial). The vent trim itself was cracked in my case, but I found a replacement piece for $2.99 at the junkyard (NOT easy to find when you've got auto headlights).

I was planning on using loctite 410 for the adhesive - it is what Ford recommended years ago in a TSB for dash pad separation in the Taurus - I figured that would be a good choice, though it isn't the easiest stuff to find (caution on ordering online: the stuff has a 3 month shelf life, so you could easily end up getting expired useless adhesive)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem on my '06 Fusion that has never been in an accident so the exposure to sunlight and high interior temps seem to be the best explanation for the delamination of the dash material. Nice write up on the repairs...another project for next summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Dash 'bubble' at passenger airbag (w/pics)

[quote author=Notloudenuf link=topic=171287.msg3629926#msg3629926 date=1272031689]
If you think of what that stuff was please let me know. Thanks.

still don't remember what it was. But, I do remember that I bought it at walmart, maybe that will help in the search for it.
[/QUOTE]
Know this is a old post but in case anyone needs to know I think he is talking about E6000 (black letters outlined in red) don't see that it will work on the tube is sold at Walmart with the school/craft supine

41 - 54 of 54 Posts