FordFusionClub.com banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Re: Dash 'bubble' at passenger airbag (w/pics)

[quote author=Notloudenuf link=topic=171287.msg3629926#msg3629926 date=1272031689]
If you think of what that stuff was please let me know. Thanks.
[/quote]

still don't remember what it was. But, I do remember that I bought it at walmart, maybe that will help in the search for it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Thanks all.

I tried some glue that I had at home this weekend that sounded like it would work but it didn't hold so I'm on the hunt for something else now.

To answer a few questions. I bought the car almost 2 years ago and honestly don't remember if the 'bubble' was there when I bought the car. It's not in my line of sight during driving so it really has not been a big deal to me. It's not a salvage title or anything and there were no airbag deploying accidents before I bought it.

It seems like the previous owner did not take the best of care of it (well not like us "car guys" would take care of a car) There are some stains in the carpet and headliner (I know the freakin headliner how does that happen) so this is just something else.

No big deal for me overall but it would be nice to be able to fix it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
124 Posts

A 2-part epoxy (applied liberally) will hold it down. Your problem is that the foam is absorbing the glue before it can tack. Something really easy that you can try is 3M's outdoor double-faced tape (clear tape, red packaging). You'll have to pull the airbag to do either, I'd pull the entire dash. Just make it a whole day project, the dash is a piece of cake to remove, but you have to pull the console, A-pillar trim, kick panels/rocker trim, and your fronts seats too.

Your problem is the 'normal' way that this happens... it is from heat/direct sunlight. Every Taurus model ford made up to the current 500 platform cars have this problem as did the probe, mazda 626/mx6, and nearly every other car I've touched with a passenger bag. Even the older cars w/o pass side bags would sometimes develop a bubble.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts

[quote author=96SFusion link=topic=171287.msg3637431#msg3637431 date=1272483073]
Your problem is the 'normal' way that this happens... it is from heat/direct sunlight. Every Taurus model ford made up to the current 500 platform cars have this problem as did the probe, mazda 626/mx6, and nearly every other car I've touched with a passenger bag. Even the older cars w/o pass side bags would sometimes develop a bubble.
[/quote]

I had a '94 Taurus up until last year when I bought my Fusion that was in the sun all the time with a black interior and my dash never bubbled like that, I have never heard of this being a "normal" problem, especially since Notloudenuf is the first member, to the best of my knowledge, that had this happen.

·
Registered
124 Posts

No offense, but you live in Michigan and he lives in NC. The suns rays (UV) are much more direct at that lattitude than they are here in Indy or up there.

I'm not saying that it is normal, just that I've seen it a lot... so if you're trying to invalidate what I'm saying then I can take pictures of an mx-6 (626) dash and two probe dashes laying in my garage right now (both 96-97, both garaged cars, and both warped so badly the airbag looks like it doesn't fit). Just PM your email address and I'll make sure you get them this weekend when I'm in the shop.

I had a 1990 taurus L 3.0 vulcan that had the same bubble in the same place with the dark blue interior. The dash in the taurus actually curled up and split... it came from Atlanta GA.

I also had a 1996 mazda 626 2.0 FS which was bought new in Columbia SC with the med beige dash (same dash as mx6) that developed the same bubble and nothing would fix it. The bubble happened after a move to IN in 2000... so it can happen here.

Ford isn't the only company that this happens to, 1st generation GMC S trucks were plagued with this. I have an 87 that looks showroom new except for a warped and cracked dash that I've replaced twice with a new GM dash pad only to solve the problem with a hard plastic coverlay dash topper. The only time this truck has ever sat in the sun is when it is parked in a parking lot when I drive it... still it warped and split.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts

I wasn't trying to invalidate anything you said, I was merely saying its not the car manufacturers fault its just the design of the car that would be at fault and the extreme temperature changes that cause it. Any car can have this happen to it regardless of its make or model if the sun is allowed to bake the dash. That's all I was saying, no need to get defensive. :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Well I got it fixed. Thanks for all of your input.
I used this stuff that I picked up at Big Lots.

I tested it out by gluing together some foam I had lying around. It worked really well.

I think it looks good or at least a lot better.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Re: Dash 'bubble' at passenger airbag (w/pics) update: Repaired 5/2/10

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=171287.msg3643152#msg3643152 date=1272902718]
That looks WAY better than before, nice repair job. What did you have to pay for that stuff? I can think of a few uses for that kind of a product.
[/quote]

It was $3.90 for that tube.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ok well the original repair did not last. My original attempt was just adding glue in from the top and holding the dash down until it stuck. The sun or just heat in general caused this to come loose. The problem was that the glue was not all the way under the area that was loose, it was just at the front. Think of it as I was trying to glue down a spring by just putting glue on one end.

So here is the REAL repair. (so far only 1 day old YMMV)

The air bag is easily removed from the dash.
DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE PROPER INSTRUCTIONS YOU WILL EFF SOMETHING UP BIG TIME!!!!!!!

I will try to post this step by step. I HIGHLY suggest getting the service manual on DVD to follow the Ford instructions EXACTLY.

Step 1:
You must DEPOWER the airbag. You do this by pulling the airbag fuse #25 under the dash to the left of the brake pedal

You have to turn the key to ACC and let the airbag system 'fault' to show that the airbags are not working. The airbag light will stay lit if you pulled the correct fuse.
Then pull the battery cable to discharge any backup power in the system (I am paraphrasing the instructions FIND THEM TO FOLLOW THEM EXACTLY!!!!!)

Now that you have safely DEPOWERED the airbag system and pulled the NEG cable off the battery the easy stuff starts.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Take out the glove box by opening it and pulling loose the damper cable, fold in the sides that catch and let the box hang loose, it will then come out of it's hinges and you can set it aside.

Look under the dash and you can see 2 bolts (I think they are 10 or 11 mm) take them out you will need a 4-6" extension...don't lose them :D

Reach up on the left (driver's) side of the airbag (this is the only side you can reach) and push in the 2 clips that hold the airbag cover to the dash. Push up on the metal part of the airbag and it will start to lift out. Carefully pop loose the other clips around the airbag cover (there are about 6) and remove the airbag from the dash. With a tiny screw driver pop out the black plastic stays from the orange and yellow power/control cable to the airbag. Remove the power/control cables and the airbag is free to come loose. Set it metal side down out of the way. Don't pick it up by the cover.....it will break.

Now the glue. This is what I used.

I'm not sure I recommend it. I think a better option is Landau top adhesive from 3M.....good luck finding it however. Go to an upholstery shop and see if they will put some in a cup for you. :(
Get alllllll the way down into the cavity between the plastic dash and the dashpad. The dashpad is; from top to bottom, vinyl, foam padding, more vinyl. I think the dashpad is heat formed to the plastic dash....not positive.

Now that you have the glue alllllll and I mean allll the way down as far as it will go you need to firmly secure the dash to the dashpad so the glue can cure.
First take blue painters tape and make a layer of it from the airbag cavity down to the glovebox hole. This is so you won't screw up your dash any more. Now take duct tape :lol: and starting from the glovebox hole bring the tape up and over the airbag cavity and firmly press down the dash pad and secure it with the tape.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

This is the important part. You want your dash to sit as flush as possible so push it down and make sure it stays as firmly as possible. If this step is screwed up your dash will be deformed forever! No joke.

Now let the glue cure as long as it is supposed to 24 hours should do it for just about all glues. Mine did about 18 hours I think.

Now CAREFULLY pull off the duct tape and see how you did

Mucho better but still not factory flat pretty sure its because of my original repair attempt that left goop underneath. I am pleased with it though.

Now put everything in the dash back together opposite from taking it apart. Hopefully it looks like this.

When sitting in the driver's seat it looks much better than this picture shows. You cannot see the inner lip for the airbag cover to sit in and there is no "bump" to feel when you run your hand over the dash.

To REPOWER the airbag (MAKE DAMN SURE YOU FOLLOW THE FORD INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY NOT MINE)
Reconnect the negative cable.
Turn the switch to ACC and then put the fuse back in.
Watch the airbag light to see if it stays lit or turns off.
If it turns off you are good.
At this point you should be done.

REMEMBER I POSTED THE DEPOWER/REPOWER AIRBAG INSTRUCTIONS FROM MEMORY. GET THE FORD INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM EXACTLY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY TYPOS THAT CAUSE DAMAGE!!!

I will keep up to date on the status of this repair. I have also purchased a windshield sunvisor for when I park my car during the day.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
[quote author=Mercury_66Comet_07Milan link=topic=171287.msg4037088#msg4037088 date=1306847605]
as the old saying goes...."if you can't duct it, fuck it"
[/quote]

Thank goodness for duct tape :lol:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
How well did this hold up? Mine's bubbling too. Just a little at first but now you can see the foam from the windshield.

Someone said removing the entire dash is easy but time consuming. Really? I've got an annoying rattle that only appears when I run the heat. I'd drive it for a day without a dash if that's what it took to narrow down that damn rattle.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts