FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bubble has been this way since I got the car. It looks like the padded dash material has come unglued from the dash itself and made this happen.

Any ideas how I can fix it? I'm a little concerned about screwing around with the dash sooo close to the airbags.
TIA

·
Registered
840 Posts
Re: Dash 'bubble' at passenger airbag (w/pics)

Bring it back. :lol:

·
Registered
840 Posts

It's a 2010. How many owners has there been? Either way I would imagine warranty would cover it. Take it to your dealer.

·
Registered
840 Posts

Doh! I think you're right. My bad. I haven't seen my dash in quite awhile without the dash mat on there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It's a 2006. No idea how it happened. Bought it from a dealer (used obviously)

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts

Hi Notloudenuf. :wavey: The passenger airbag cover has come loose.

You can either try to snap it back into place yourself, ask the Dealer to do it, or stop by a Collision Repair Shop in your area and ask if they will do it for you (they would certainly have experience in replacing airbags and airbag covers. Trying to pop that back into place will not set off the airbags.

Too late now, but since you say it was this way since the day you got the car, why didn't you have it repaired before taking the vehicle?

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,779 Posts

I'd just take a flat head screwdriver and push it back in..should take 12 seconds.

·
Registered
552 Posts

[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=171287.msg3628789#msg3628789 date=1271962237]
Too late now, but since you say it was this way since the day you got the car, why didn't you have it repaired before taking the vehicle?
[/quote]Good question... I not only wouldn't have accepted the car for delivery, but I would have opened the glovebox and looked to see what caused the problem in the first place. From the pictures it looks more serious than just a popped cover... Hope he gets it resolved :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

looks like the dash, NOT the cover has moved. I'd try to get it fixed but it seems that once a dash has been "messed with" they never fit back like new. always a rattle or it just moves the stress to another place.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I don't know. It wasn't that big of a deal when I bought the car 2 years ago, it has just progressively gotten on my nerves.
Tried the screwdriver trick and there is nothing to pop back in. It's almost like it has come unglued underneath. Will mess with it more this weekend.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

[quote author=The Only MTS link=topic=171287.msg3629824#msg3629824 date=1272027325]
Get a needle and some glue... so you can get it right under the bulge. Make sure it is a quick set glue so you do not have to hold it long.
[/quote]

I have a 92 Lumina... They are very prone to the dash separating at the defroster vent. Example: not my dash

I used some stuff that was in a silver tube with black and red writing. It claimed to bond forever and resist water, fire, heat, cold, humidity.... needless to say it is still holding strong 8 years later. I do not remember what it was and I can't find that tube, that was the only thing I used it for.

·
Registered
124 Posts

[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=171287.msg3628789#msg3628789 date=1271962237]
Hi Notloudenuf. :wavey: The passenger airbag cover has come loose.

You can either try to snap it back into place yourself, ask the Dealer to do it, or stop by a Collision Repair Shop in your area and ask if they will do it for you (they would certainly have experience in replacing airbags and airbag covers. Trying to pop that back into place will not set off the airbags.

Let us know how you make out.

[/quote]

That isn't the airbag cover, that's the vacuum-molded foam and vinyl delaminating from the dash structure. Ford/Mazda is the worst company for this stuff. I would imagine that the car has had a pass side bag deploy in the past and it has been replaced. It will have to be glued back down. To do that, you'll need to remove the airbag. It is probably easier to pull the entire dash assembly out of the car. It isn't that hard to do, I did it and had it back in over a period of about 5 hours when changing my shift cable (counting removing console, seats, etc... but not counting time dealing with shift cable).

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts

[quote author=96SFusion link=topic=171287.msg3630836#msg3630836 date=1272066680]

That isn't the airbag cover, that's the vacuum-molded foam and vinyl delaminating from the dash structure. Ford/Mazda is the worst company for this stuff. I would imagine that the car has had a pass side bag deploy in the past and it has been replaced. It will have to be glued back down. To do that, you'll need to remove the airbag. It is probably easier to pull the entire dash assembly out of the car. It isn't that hard to do, I did it and had it back in over a period of about 5 hours when changing my shift cable (counting removing console, seats, etc... but not counting time dealing with shift cable).
[/quote]

Hi 96S. :wavey: You could be correct (although the airbag cover has popped loose). However, if that is the case, the larger questions would be did Notloudenuf ask about or was he notified by the Dealer of any previous accidents that caused an airbag deployment? And as previously mentioned, why wasn't the Dealer asked to repair this before the purchase?

Unless this was a "Salvage Title" vehicle purchased at a great discount, this defect should have been fixed before hand.

Anyway, let us know how you make out, Notloudenuf.

·
Registered
124 Posts

bbf, sorry... I'm sure that looked snippy! no insult intended there. I've just fixed a lot of FoMoCo and Mazda dash pads over the years... If the car is more than a few years old or sits in the sun constantly then that's the one thing you can count on... a warped dash pad.

Good point on the accident... although most dealers will make you sign paperwork stating that they are free and clear of any liability when you use a defect as leverage to negotiate yourself into a good deal. I know mine did when I pointed out that my car was probably a fleet vehicle and had a badly-done repair on the driver's side rocker.

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts

[quote author=96SFusion link=topic=171287.msg3630893#msg3630893 date=1272070345]
bbf, sorry... I'm sure that looked snippy! no insult intended there. I've just fixed a lot of FoMoCo and Mazda dash pads over the years... If the car is more than a few years old or sits in the sun constantly then that's the one thing you can count on... a warped dash pad.

Good point on the accident... although most dealers will make you sign paperwork stating that they are free and clear of any liability when you use a defect as leverage to negotiate yourself into a good deal. I know mine did when I pointed out that my car was probably a fleet vehicle and had a badly-done repair on the driver's side rocker.
[/quote]

Hi 96S. :wavey: No problem, I understand. :goodjob:

I just am really curious as to why Notloudenuf didn't have it taken care of before purchasing, since he states that it has been like this since he got the car (not sure how long that is though).

Not trying to give you any grief Notloudenuf, just wondering. :hug:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts