Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :D :D

1st, I just want to say I did a search and found some topics on cutting the power to the cig lighter but I could not find a solution.

My question, is there an easy/simple way to cut the power to the ligher when I take the keys out of the car? The radio stays on after I take the keys out and turns off when I open the door. Could I do something similar with the cig lighter? I am using the one in the centre console to power an Ipod FM transmitter.

I don't know how much juice this sucks, I notice it will keep charging my ipod if I just leave it, not sure if this is enough to drain the battery overnight but sometimes I don't use the car for a few days. Also the transmitter has a small display that shows the frequency that the unit is transmitting on.

If anyone has done this could you please let me know how I could do this and if there are any costs $$$?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I would think you could take off/out the center console and cut in a toggle switch in there and mount it next to the cig lighter output. Just thoughts tho.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=73998.msg1316929#msg1316929 date=1175891886]
I would think you could take off/out the center console and cut in a toggle switch in there and mount it next to the cig lighter output. Just thoughts tho.
[/quote]

That could work, I didn't even think of that...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=TastyMilan link=topic=73998.msg1317440#msg1317440 date=1175907057]
our cars should have a featutre that DOES NOT allow the battery to drain to much so you dont need the switch.
[/quote]

I will have a look in the manual to see if they mention anything like that in there. I will post here if I find anything...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just unplug and hide the transmitter. Less of a draw for window-breaking thieves.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes, it's possible. Why not just unplug the item when you leave the car?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=SJBeta93 link=topic=73998.msg1499362#msg1499362 date=1182268742]
Is it possible to re-wire the cigarette lighter in the armrest to only be on when the accesory power is on?
[/quote]

All you would need to do is use a wire in the console that is switch 12 volt. Cut the power wire from the lighter then connect the switched 12 volt wire to that end. make sure you tape off the end that you cut as it will still be live and you do not want it to ground and short. Would not be that hard to do. When i installed my gauges i used the 12 volt wire from the radio. Just tapped into it then ran the wire to the console. Worked well. Kinda funny watching the volt gauge stay on until i open the door then it shuts off with the radio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I got my fusion it seems to electronically wise or perfect on all the important components of driving it however cigarette lighter the one in the consul only works when I got it and I bought a sweater and then it stopped working I’m wondering if it’s just a fuse? I know enough about electronics but I don’t want to go digging into the way it’s configuredAnymore than I have to I also jiggle the wire attached to the fan motor and it works when I jiggle it just right so I’m wondering to what extent do I replace it or is it the fan I have no clue

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
Hi Rjf and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club.

Sorry to hear you are having issues. It makes it much easier for others to help you if all information/questions and replies are located in one thread. So in the future, please do not double/triple post questions.

We will keep your long post open, the others (including this one), will be locked.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.