FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to the boards, and am planning on purchasing my Fusion within the next couple of months, however I'm doing much of the leg work for my modifications ahead of time, so I can slap them on once I get the vehicle and enjoy it the only way I know how.

I'm planning on running a carputer system with most likely a MacMini running the entertainment portion, and than using an Alpine standalone nav system hooked up via A/V for my Navigation (I may leave this part out, I'm not sure yet).

For the screen, I'll be using a Xenarc 7" A/V screen. I don't need touchscreen because I'll be using the Mac Mini and can run everything from the handy dandy little remote. It'll be nice having all my mp3s and movies available for road trips.

I'm planning on molding the screen into the center bezel so it looks OEM. I will than be shipping my molded piece, along with the dash moldings, and door switch panels to get "dipped". This process will create a factory Woodgrain effect. The issue I'm running into is that the only other piece I want to have "dipped" is the air vent above the center bezel. This is attached to the storage compartment. Have any of you taken off that Air Vent? Or is it completely attached to the storage compartment. If so, I'll probably have to find some way to get the Piano Black color re-done once the mold is complete. I'd prefer to order my fusion with the Camel interior, however.

All help would be appreciated on this issue. I hope it can come off. I've seen "dipping" done, and it looks fabulous.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Send a Message to CiscoFord 23... he might have some more details.. he knows alot about the fusions.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Also, where can you get your interior 'dipped' at? Im curious to see how it comes out, Im not really liking the stick-on dash kit I bought from sherwood. Have any website/price estimates? lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The place I'm going through is offering it at .85 cents per square inch. It's a good deal for OEM look/feel on a custom piece.

·
Registered
505 Posts
1. welcome to the carputing world :) I'm running a carputer off an old Dell laptop I mounted in my trunk. I'm currently in the process of fabricating a new dash bezel (with the monitor molded into i, for the "OEM look").

2. yes, the vents are attached to the storage compartment. if you want to get it "dipped" then you could always remove the "hood" from the storage compartment then have the base/vents dipped.

3. I think you should reconsider the touchscreen. I'm sure the "handy dandy little remote" is nice, but it cannot take the place of a touchscreen for functionality. the more software/functions you add to your carputer, the more you will wish you got a touchscreen instead ;)

4. why buy a stand-alone GPS unit when you have a fully functional computer in the car? that's a waste of a carputer don't ya think? why limit it to only music/video? if that's all you want it for then why not save some money and just buy an in-dash double-DIN DVD unit instead?

GPS software and a USB/serial GPS receiver works great. I don't know if you plan on running windows or not, but if you do, then I would highly recommend iGuidance4.0. it's great GPS software and includes a version made for carputers (touchscreen friendly ;)). I couldn't be happier with mine.

good luck :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts