FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL...this is the 'Project' I have mentioned in a few other threads recently, so here it goes.

OK...we've all seen this...Ford calls it a 'Air cleaner outlet pipe' PN 9B642....

To me...its that butt ugly black rubber accordian thinganabob between the MAF/Filter assemby & TB that could use some 'attention'. So...after some 'envisioning' & alittle web reseach...I came up with this as my next mod in hopes of enableling better air flow as I'm sure the internal 'bumps' disrupt it as well as a more aesthetically pleasing piece...ie ...get rid of that useless 'appendage' on the front of it....and 3rdly will endeavor to assure the air temp does not rise to much more then it is at the filter inside the ICADS.

Inside 'Item #6'....Ouch!

Ordered these parts on Monday (9.26) from McMasterCarr...arrived Wednesday (9.28) afternoon.

Gravity-Flow Flexible Pipe Coupling Reducing, for 3" X 2" Pipe Size, 4" Length $4.79
Gravity-Flow Flexible Pipe Coupling Straight, for 3" Pipe Size, 4" Length $5.17
304/304L SS Butt-Weld Pipe Fitting 3" Pipe Size, 45 Degree Elbow, Schedule 10 $16.03
Low Pressure Type 304 SS Pipe Coupling for 3" X 3" Pipe Size, 3" Length $14.41
Standard-Wall SS Unthreaded Welded Pipe 304/304L SS, 1/8" Pipe,.405" OD, 1'L $7.28
Standard-Wall SS Unthreaded Welded Pipe 304/304L SS, 3/8" Pipe,.675" OD, 1'L $10.05

Merchandise Total $57.73

After picking which clamps and doing some rework on them...this is the 'mockup' which I did a preliminary fitment to the TB & MAF duct to it check out...definately doable....this was Friday 9.30.

Couple pix of inner diameter...way smoother then the accordian...

The .400 x 1" SS nipple up top is for the vacumm & the .675 x 1" nipple on the backside is for the crankcase vent tube. These two will be TIG welded in place & the hole for each threw the wall of the elbow will only be the ID of each tube.

TIG WELD INTAKE

Monday 10.1...Holes drilled...small is Letter J (.277), large is 31/64 (.484)....ready to weld.

Welding...

Finished...

Ready to install...

THE INSTALL...

Inside pic of Intake after assembleling it to the TB...Tuesday 10.2

Finished Intake installation...

Additional parts are a 3' x 5/8" heater hose w/clamps ($5.00) for the crankcase vent tube & a 6" x 3/8" fuel hose for the vac tube ($1.00)....so those with the $16. SS Elbow & 2 $5. clamps ...which btw, the clamps can be purchased @ Homedepot, & a $1 ea for the SS [email protected] $35 for this setup.

With regards to performance...YES...after 2 days of cruz'n...cool AM's & warm PM's as well as a short hiway jaunt yesterday afternoon...I have noticed an improved seat of the pants feel on Bob's 91T tune (which I have grown quite fond of!)...of course, the #'s from NED&T will validate this mod's impact...which I will attempt to do on Monday.

I have also done 2 of the 3 parts to ATS #3...theres a 10 degree diff from the filter (inside ICADS) vs the TB inlet(OEM intake,pt1)...& an 8 degree diff with the Custom SS intake (pt2)....so it runs 2 degrees cooler. Part 3 of ATS #3 will be to insulate the intake & check the temp differential...hopefully this weekend. Have Pix & info for posting when complete.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Great job, and nice fabrication. However, it seems like a lot of $$ and time in order to gain possibly another 1/4 HP.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Yeah, I agree, looks a whole lot better than the stock.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guy's...THANK YOU All so very much for all your compliments & support for my latest 'Project'! Very much appreciated!! With regards to the $ value...I did not use all the parts that I ordered...calculated about $35 for the intake in its final form...and considering it encompasses 3 'aspects'...aesthetics, performance & temp...thats a mere $11.66 for each. With regards to the time factor...all told it was about 4 hrs total ( I spent more upfront time 'envisioning' it so as to spend less time 'doing it')...1 hr for mockup & preliminary fitment...2 hrs for drill,TIG weld (which was nice for me to get a refresher) & ID/OD polish, all done @ work 'OTC'..and 1hr for the install. But those are secondary to 'creating' an enhancement that functioned 1st time out...that satisfaction is 'priceless'! There are a few on the Forum who have thought 'outside of the box' with regards to creating a mod...and that is a commendable attribute...which is what modding has been, is, & always will be all about! Don't get me wrong...I am a proponent of 'off the shelf' mods... have a # of them....but those 3 magic words..."I wonder if..." is were it all starts from. Anyway...enough yadda'ing...thanx again all!!!...will post 3rd ATS & do DYNO #3 for 'performance' results next week. Am considering the 3rd & 4th pull in 3rd & 5th gear (as there has been interest expressed with regards to those actual #'s) after doing 2 pulls with Bob's 91T/P Tune and this latest mod in 4th gear.

·
Registered
840 Posts
dude, im all about what you did. you were totaly just like... screw this, im doing it on my own!

and thats why im doing that with hids. i got my projectors today, and im gonna get my headlights in the next few days.

im gonna bake em, take em apart, and start workin on my HIDS!

but right on man, keep up at doin stuff on your own, thats what its all out, self gratification!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Looks great! Those TIG welds look great, I've only TIG welded a few times before, I was the only one willing to try at work! I didn't do too bad, but not as clean as yours.

You're straight on about it being personally gratifying, isn't the that whole purpose of modding in the first place? I think so. Speaking of personally gratifying, I must ask again if you will dyno revving to 7k rpm to see how much power loss there might be up there, please? LOL, do what you feel is best.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I understand the "looks" and "smooth air" benfit, but how would this custom mod help with temp? I would think it would be worse for temp. A metal part will be much hotter than a rubber one.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Awesome job SG! Thank-you for the detailed pics while you went along, they are greatly appreciated. It would be interesting to find out what kind of power gains you made. Have you noticed any differnece in throttle response? Can you please work on a retrofit to convert the headlights into HID projectors next as you seem pretty handy?

Happy driving!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys..THANX!!!!! Appreciate the compliments & support!!!! Just finished the 3rd...and probly last ATS this morning, will post after this. I am staunch advocate of doing 'whatever it takes' to fullfill your modding ambitions...so...just DO IT! With regards to HID's...hmmm...haven't really considered it...will 'research' it though ..not promising anything ,OK...at least at this point in time. Anyway...have DYNO time Monday AM...will post results. Again All...thank you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx again Jaysen!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Geist....THANX!!!!!! Appreciate the compliment very much!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
[quote author=SGs Fuzion link=topic=90844.msg1759752#msg1759752 date=1191545835]
Hi Guy's...THANK YOU All so very much for all your compliments & support for my latest 'Project'! Very much appreciated!! With regards to the $ value...I did not use all the parts that I ordered...calculated about $35 for the intake in its final form...and considering it encompasses 3 'aspects'...aesthetics, performance & temp...thats a mere $11.66 for each. With regards to the time factor...all told it was about 4 hrs total ( I spent more upfront time 'envisioning' it so as to spend less time 'doing it')...1 hr for mockup & preliminary fitment...2 hrs for drill,TIG weld (which was nice for me to get a refresher) & ID/OD polish, all done @ work 'OTC'..and 1hr for the install. But those are secondary to 'creating' an enhancement that functioned 1st time out...that satisfaction is 'priceless'! There are a few on the Forum who have thought 'outside of the box' with regards to creating a mod...and that is a commendable attribute...which is what modding has been, is, & always will be all about! Don't get me wrong...I am a proponent of 'off the shelf' mods... have a # of them....but those 3 magic words..."I wonder if..." is were it all starts from. Anyway...enough yadda'ing...thanx again all!!!...will post 3rd ATS & do DYNO #3 for 'performance' results next week. Am considering the 3rd & 4th pull in 3rd & 5th gear (as there has been interest expressed with regards to those actual #'s) after doing 2 pulls with Bob's 91T/P Tune and this latest mod in 4th gear.
[/quote]

With an avg figure of 2x parts = labor, when/where can we start placing orders? :-D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts