FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Fusion SE 3.0 FWD

There's a slight scraping sound when going forward at low speed (10MPH or less), also during turns at low speed. Applying the brakes and turning to back into a parking space, I'll hear it start to creak (sounds about like old rusty hinges on door).

Pretty sure the wheel bearings are still original factory installed parts (not completely certain though). Front rotors do have some rust on them and some ridges that can be felt by running a finger over them. Pads don't appear to be wearing out abnormally, they all appear to have an equal wear on them.

Lifted front wheels off the ground and gave them a good shake down test and they are very solid, so doesn't seem the bearings to be at fault. There's no loud roaring sound that is common to bad bearings. I don't want to just assume they are not at fault though.

I can't afford to replace all at once. Any suggestions where to start?

edit
Not sure if it helps, but I have lost about 1MPG worth of fuel efficiency since the problem started.

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far, got the driver side front done. New rotor, pads and ended up doing a caliper and bracket since one of the slide pins was completely seized up and nothing would get it out or to even budge at all. Still getting the same sound, seems to do it mostly at low speed and letting off the brake so it will just creep along and mainly when turning the wheel to the right. I'll get the front passenger side one done and then check the parking brakes and cables just to rule it out.
If the problem still persists, I'll start looking into CV axles and wheel bearings.
At 13 years old and 208k miles and all those parts are the original from assembly line, there's a chance any could be starting to dry out and partially seize.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far, got the driver side front done. New rotor, pads and ended up doing a caliper and bracket since one of the slide pins was completely seized up and nothing would get it out or to even budge at all. Still getting the same sound, seems to do it mostly at low speed and letting off the brake so it will just creep along and mainly when turning the wheel to the right. I'll get the front passenger side one done and then check the parking brakes and cables just to rule it out.
If the problem still persists, I'll start looking into CV axles and wheel bearings.
At 13 years old and 208k miles and all those parts are the original from assembly line, there's a chance any could be starting to dry out and partially seize.
Check the lower control arm bushings

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the passenger side one done now as well. It too had the slide pins seized up in the bracket. So now have both front brakes completely replaced. 2 reman Ford calipers (came with brackets, pins and hardware) 2 new Raybestos rotors and ceramic pads.
Front brake lines bled until no longer seeing any bubbles. Brake reservoir is filled to the full/max mark. Brakes are engaging just fine and have no problem stopping.
I did notice a slight creak and thump when putting the car in drive from park, from drive to reverse... hoping it's not the trans going out. I do know the trans is full, but fluid is dirty.
I will check the bushings at work when I can put the car up on the lift. Pretty sure there's at least a few bad ball joints that have torn boots. Not going to be the least bit surprised if it needs a whole new front suspension.
I did replace all 3 motor/trans mounts already. Check engine light just came on recently too, got a P0133 (O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1).
So next up will be finish replacing rear sway bar bushings and links, the links were broke off since I bought the car. And then upstream O2 sensors and Valve Cover Gaskets.
Guess I'll be busy for a while!

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I got new bushings and end links done on my rear sway bar (bushings were going bad and links were missing since I bought the car). It takes turns so nice now, but seems to have made the front end noise worse. I'll definitely check front sway links and all the ball joints and bushings.
Worst case scenario I'll take the front brakes back off and re-do the whole thing to be sure I didn't goof anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes it makes that noise while driving and while not moving.
There is a hat on top of the strut towers that acts as a bearing and bushing since the whole strut rotates in this design when you steer. It's possible that they could be causing your noise. It might be easiest if you can have someone turn the wheel while stationary so that you can get closer and hopefully pinpoint the source of the noise.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've watched a few videos on youtube lately about this and see the cause could be any of the following.
Wheel bearing(s), strut bearings, tie rods, ball joints or control arm bushings.

I'll look over all those and do a proper diagnostic to pinpoint it down.
I do have brand new MOOG outer tie rod ends already though and I grease the zerks at every oil change.

Control arms look like a royal pain to change on this vehicle, as it seems the front subframe needs to be dropped for the arms to come off of the frame.

I was going to post video from my dash cam to show how it goes while driving, but it's not recording the audio. I'll figure it out and see what I can do.

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So had a local (very reputable) shop put in new control arms today. Both front lower rearward. And it's still making the sound. Shop owner went on a ride along and heard it, says it sounds like something with the brakes. They checked out the brakes and said everything looks good. They did a full shake down test, used a good big pry bar and everything is tight and secure. Only thing they could see that's an issue is the front end needs a slight alignment.

It definitely sounds like something is rubbing on some part(s) that have rotational movement (i.e. wheel bearing, cv axle, rotor). There's NO play in the front bearings, but they are most likely still the originals from assembly line. At 13 years old and 208.5k miles, I'm not going to rule them out.

I'll do bearings as soon as I possibly can just for safety sake (don't need to lose a wheel while driving).
Anything else that anyone can think of that may be the culprit? We are all about stumped on this one. Maybe trans? ATF is showing full, but it is quite dirty. I don't want to do a tranny flush as it will most likely cause slipping.

·
Registered
09 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Front sway links replaced and the noise continues...
Seems to do it only under a load, no noise when vehicle is on a lift running and in gear. Starting to seem like a wheel bearing that's just beginning to fail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts